Dave's 2013 17.56-2 OB

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
I decided to fix the Jockey Wheel for good, take some of the Vans movement out.

28383981319_8447e8d027_c.jpg

The Panel is giving inaccurate and unreliable info on the battery charge state etc.
Sadly, to still have the water level, the unit must still be connected to the buzz bar.

So I got the unit on the left from AutoElecAU, it is made in the UK for the Marine Industry, and CTEK have put their name on it, so I am hopeful of it being a good unit. The old unit was giving random results, with a constant load it would flip from charging to discharging, can't be relied on now.

28383968909_66a1c2ee14_c.jpg

Insurance has approved the roof repairs. Just waiting on the parts and it will be done.

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
Can you post a pic of your scissor hinge for your roof?

I will do so when it is done, first up will be the repairs needed with the help of insurance thanks to the 2 van repairers, the vinyl sock and other bits are going to be sorted out. I want them to ensure the roof closes correctly as it did before.
When that is done, I'll fit the scissors across the front and rear to cope with the awning side load. Can't fit the scissors under insurance repairs as it is not a repair.
For now, waiting on the van repairer to get the parts.

Reactions: Drover

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I wanted to fit scissors to my 2014 1756 but was told by jayco carnt be done on those models mmmmmm really ????
Like you to help with awning and annex weight as my roof is allways going to that side maybe i need new stronger struts too ????

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
It took a while, but I finally have tested the new mattress.
WOW, what a difference it has made.
I am so glad we did it.
Now, I have a comfy and firm mattress.
No chunky zipper to lie on.
Its comfy
No difference in mattress thicknesses or density
And did I say it is comfy.
Now to hook it up and go away.
Sadly, it looks like we're NOT going away for these upcoming holidays.
OH, done 23,000 k's with it so far, so I can't complain about not going away, but will do so because I can.....

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
Today, finally, I dropped the van off at a repairer for the insurance works to be done.
They have been waiting since the end of Janurary for Jayco to send them the new vinly sock for the pop top.
In SA at Fowlers way we coped some very strong winds, the roof was pushed over to the left side, yes, the awning was packed away.
I tried fixing it at the time, and went to a repaired in Adalaide who helped out keeping me on the road.
When I got home a friend said I should be able to claim against insurance, the idea never occured to me.
Now, finnaly, it is being sorted.
When I get it home, i am going to look at fitting the front and rear scissors to cope with awning loads and a guide system to ensure the roof closes into the one spot every time.

Reactions: Bluey and Marv_mart

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
We just received our van back with a new sock as well. Been repaired under warranty though. Really interested in the scissors, I’ve seen them on vans, but never thought of fitting them to ours. It’s a brand new van, shouldn’t need such accessories for general use!

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
I want to fit the scissors across the front and rear to take the load from the awning, the internal "Goal Posts" (white lifting arms) are all that take this load.
When you look at the better built (or more expensive) vans, they have them fitted for this reason.
I recon if I had them I'd have not gone through the hours of pain trying to sort out the roof to allow me to continue our holiday whilst n Folwers Bay, SA

Reactions: The escapist

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I tryed to get sizzors fitted to my 17 and was told by 2 diffrent van repaires carnt be done for my model and wont help as much as i think they would have ?????? So gave up on that idea

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
Well sadly it is a long time since I..
1. Had a chance to loiter on the internet.
2. Hook up the van for a trip.
3. Sort out any tinkering the van needs or wants.

The roof repairs are done, new vinyl sock and lifting arms are fitted, a 100 extra screws hold it all together up top.
The scissors are not fitted as yet, I have not had the time to be honest.
We leave in the morning for a trip away for a Kid Friendly adventure, a 1 hour drive to a BIG $ park..... opps, I mean a Big 4.
Now that I have sorted a new life out with a new job, I hope to get the van out a lot more then I have, this being the 2nd trip since end of Summer Holidays.

saulc

May 7, 2018
Melbourne
Hey Dave - I love this post and have spent many nights pondering over it. I'm about to mount the spare underneath but was wondering why you went with the steel bracket rather than just bolting through the floor and reinforcing on the inside. I'm also interested to hear how the bike rack is holding up. I'm inclined to do the same as you but the missus is leaning towards the Isi rack - the associated $$$$$ are a little painful to me

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
Hey Dave - I love this post and have spent many nights pondering over it. I'm about to mount the spare underneath but was wondering why you went with the steel bracket rather than just bolting through the floor and reinforcing on the inside.

Because it is stronger, I can't imagine bolting through the floor would work as it is not strong enough for the weight, plus there'd be an unsightly bolt in the floor.

. I'm also interested to hear how the bike rack is holding up. I'm inclined to do the same as you but the missus is leaning towards the Isi rack - the associated $$$$$ are a little painful to me

it works very well, however, it was not fitted for the big trips, I un-bolt the pivoting part when we don't take the bikes. I have done numerous local trips with it, and had dozens of folk asking about it, and i still say it is great.