Dash Cameras = Good - Bad - Indifferent

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Have you got it set to a 'sensitivity' setting? On some models you can turn on a feature which saves footage immediately if it it senses a knock of some severity. That could explain the random lengths?

If you are still in the market this mob looks interesting. Has some good info as well. Check out their Facebook site too, heaps of people upload their incidents daily. Interesting to watch.

http://www.dashcamownersaus.com.au

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Just wanting to revive this thread as I'm doing a lot more driving lately. Any updates on recommended purchases appreciated - there seem to be many very cheap (nasty?) ones on the market and for a few extra $ perhaps the quality is much better. Thanks.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We have two Mivue's. An old 580 in Sarah's that touch screen and a new 680 in Mini 2k not touch screen although has red light/speed cameras.
If you look at Dash cam OZ a lot of Mivue's
Got both of mine when on sale at JB.

You really do not want cheap as that one time you actually need footage then find license plate is too fuzzy.
Like Security cameras at home I got a cheap Swann WIFI one mainly to check Garage door then added a couple more when on special at Catch of the Day.. A burglar would have to walk up and stay still in front of the camera to get a good image of him :)
Just about to replace them so paying extra for some 8MP camera's. My mate just got the same but 4MP it cost me $80 a camera more for double resolution so paying it.

Roadkill

Mar 24, 2013
SA
My burglar (I call him my "Darwin award nominee") decided that my Swann camera was worth stealing..... whilst the DVR recorded the whole episode! Footage burnt to DVD and handed to the local police. Down a camera, but worth it for the police reaction. :)

Cheers

Reactions: davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
My burglar (I call him my "Darwin award nominee") decided that my Swann camera was worth stealing..... whilst the DVR recorded the whole episode! Footage burnt to DVD and handed to the local police. Down a camera, but worth it for the police reaction. :)

Cheers
ha ha .. maybe he thought if he took it you could not see he was there :)
A mate has the Arlo battery wifi cams that use a magnet to hold them. I said wonder how long they last :)

Reactions: G Daddy

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
My burglar (I call him my "Darwin award nominee") decided that my Swann camera was worth stealing..... whilst the DVR recorded the whole episode!

Had the same with my previous employer - watching and rewatching the video of some pimply little 15 year old tackle the camera and eventually pull it off the wall was a riot. Even had the camera parts in his room when the cops went round for a chat. Future crime boss that one.

Reactions: Roadkill and bigcol

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
We used to use Navman in our trucks at work however we have since started using 'Street Guardian' dash cams. Our trucks bounce around building sites and landfills where the haul roads are worse than trying to get from Fowlers Bay to Wandilla Beach so things like Navman's and Kapture's use to bounce apart.

Reactions: bigcol