Dash Cameras = Good - Bad - Indifferent

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Dear Brains Trust,
not being technology prolific in the field of Dash Cam or Electronics as a whole, I need some advice, ideas and lots of knowledge........

"Scope of Intent"
a Dash Cam, that will turn on when car starts, and record continuously until car is switched off
a Dash Cam that will turn itself on in case of accident when stationary - hit while parked at shops
a Dash Cam that records for atleast, at a minimum 4-6 hours duration continuously
a Dash Cam with a 70-90* recording view

"Theory"
be able to start car, and drive for say 4.5 hours (Perth to Geraldton) and constantly record the whole trip without stopping every 1,2,3,5,10 minutes

"Story"
I have tried several of the cheaper Dash Cams available, not with much in the way of competencies, while they have all been small and unobtrusive, they are all 170-270* camera angle, and continually turn themselves off at strange times and dont run continuously
the last one I have just tried, did not even have a regular amount of time it was on, 8 seconds - 5 minutes
it varied so much, you could not even guess if it was only because of a car in front or just a stupid random timing thing - even after setting it up to record in 10 minute blocks

is there such a thing available - or do I have to get a Sony Action Cam or Go-Pro

I already have the Sony, and use it for recording when we are away for mini movies, it does not have the "wank" factor of the Go-Pro, or the price either
http://www.sony.com.au/electronics/actioncam/hdr-as50

H E L P

any thoughts suggestions helpful hints (except "go f*&^ yourself")

Reactions: skippy

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Dear Brains Trust,
not being technology prolific in the field of Dash Cam or Electronics as a whole, I need some advice, ideas and lots of knowledge........

"Scope of Intent"
a Dash Cam, that will turn on when car starts, and record continuously until car is switched off
a Dash Cam that will turn itself on in case of accident when stationary - hit while parked at shops
a Dash Cam that records for atleast, at a minimum 4-6 hours duration continuously

"Theory"
be able to start car, and drive for say 4.5 hours (Perth to Geraldton) and constantly record the whole trip without stopping every 1,2,3,5,10 minutes

"Story"
I have tried several of the cheaper Dash Cams available, not with much in the way of competencies, while they have all been small and unobtrusive, they are all 170-270* camera angle, and continually turn themselves off at strange times and dont run continuously
the last one I have just tried, did not even have a regular amount of time it was on, 8 seconds - 5 minutes
it varied so much, you could not even guess if it was only because of a car in front or just a stupid random timing thing - even after setting it up to record in 10 minute blocks

is there such a thing available - or do I have to get a Sony Action Cam or Go-Pro

I already have the Sony, and use it for recording when we are away for mini movies, it does not have the "wank" factor of the Go-Pro, or the price either

H E L P

I can't help on the dash cam, but I also bought one of those Sony camera's for my son and it is fantastic. Now he wants the remote wrist adapter,

Stuart

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Dear Brains Trust,

"Scope of Intent"

"Theory"

"Story"

H E L P

@bigcol I have a 1080p dashcam that is integrated with my head unit, and it works very well.

After a bit of an incident, we purchased one for my wifes car just before Christmas thjat we are very happy with.

I was after something with GPS so it shows speed and location, as well as HD picture.

Most of these seemed to be around $200-$300 mark.

I saw this one on special (which I notice they again have on special now) and thought I'd try it, and the results have been pretty good so far.

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/adventure-kings-gps-1080-dashcam-recorder.html

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
but I also bought one of those Sony camera's for my son and it is fantastic. Now he wants the remote wrist adapter,

yeah, I think its the "Duckz Nutz" thats for sure

I would like the remote as well, but, never got a round tuit
I have the water proof cover for it as well, and its great

maybe I should just mount that ............

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@bigcol I have a 1080p dashcam that is integrated with my head unit, and it works very well.

After a bit of an incident, we purchased one for my wifes car just before Christmas thjat we are very happy with.

I was after something with GPS so it shows speed and location, as well as HD picture.

Most of these seemed to be around $200-$300 mark.

I saw this one on special (which I notice they again have on special now) and thought I'd try it, and the results have been pretty good so far.

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/adventure-kings-gps-1080-dashcam-recorder.html

almost had me right up to

With the dashcam’s loop mode, you also have the option to set & forget, which lets it write over old footage in 1, 3 and 5 minute intervals.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

not to worry

because, if and when I find what I want (funny how I know what I dont want, but not sure of what I do want) I will be getting 2 of the buggers
one for mine and one for SWMBO's cars

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
almost had me right up to

With the dashcam’s loop mode, you also have the option to set & forget, which lets it write over old footage in 1, 3 and 5 minute intervals.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

not to worry

because, if and when I find what I want (funny how I know what I dont want, but not sure of what I do want) I will be getting 2 of the buggers
one for mine and one for SWMBO's cars
Don't forget the loop mode only overwrites the old footage once the space on the SD card is filled up. I have a 32GB card in there which provides about 3 weeks of footage, so it rareley overwrites anything.

You can also turn that feature off.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You can also turn that feature off.

tried that on this one and the previous one, both still stop at random times, videoing for random time lengths

but the 32GB card is an idea - currently using 8GB I think......

its not the loop feature that is worrying / annoying me............. but the random taping times

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

tried that on this one and the previous one, both still stop at random times, videoing for random time lengths

but the 32GB card is an idea - currently using 8GB I think......

its not the loop feature that is worrying / annoying me............. but the random taping times
Yes have seen that on my other one as well.

I'll pull the card out of it, as it's my wife's daily drive and have a look how far back it goes and if there are any random gap

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
we got a Navman for Sarah's car will get one for mine soon.
Got the better model with GPS which shows speed, which was good to double check when I went past a "flash for cash" the other day.

The Blackvue supposed to be one of the better ones you can hard wire it etc. Although lots of $.
We got our Mivue around $150 on sale at JB.

The new ones can go up to 2k recording and do speed camera, red light as well probably get it although $230
http://www.navman.com.au/car-camera/MiVue-Series/MiVUE680/Overview/
There is one built in with Nav GPS full HD as well around $250
http://www.navman.com.au/car-gps-devices/MY-Series/MIVUE-DRIVE-FHD/Overview/

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I've got similar to the one in the Supa4WD link above, albeit from an ebay seller. The supa4wd one is the original model (0801) mines a 0826 and current is a "nanoq 0903".
I like it - good sharp images, gps location and speed on the recorded image, g-sensor if the parked car gets knocked, or a motion detect instead if someone or something goes in front of the car, records voice, etc.
Drawbacks - mine wants an old Class 2 memory car, which means 32gb is as big as would go in. Tried a 128gb class 10 micro SD card and destroyed the card ($$). (0806 syas will accept 2x 128gb cards) no user manual so menu system a bit unclear. led lamp flashing when recording is bright at night
When you want to keep the video of an incident, just press a button and it locks it so it isn't over writen later. And its small and discrete unlike many others.

video below
th_NVEExport_zpslcxk8uto.jpg
but it did lose quality converting it to MPEG
(yes it is a cyclist on Beach road texting while riding)

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I was noticing today, when we were out driving

every time we stopped at a set of lights, it stopped recording

as soon as we took off - it started recording

if you can catch @Bushman when I throw this thing into outer space, you might have one for your back window

shittingmongralbastardwankerofathing

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@bigcol when I was researching dashcams a while back they all seemed to have the loop recording, at intervals that could be set. I find this better because as @Bellbirdweb said they don't start over-writing the files until the memory card is full.

I have an IgoCam 820 in the Prado. Advantage is that it has forward and rear facing cameras (Just have to remember one day to mount it higher so the rear camera looks out the back window). Has all the features you listed apart from having a wider angle lens than you want (120 deg from memory). It has loop timings of 1min, 3mins, 5mins and OFF (Continuous Recording). Also has GPS functionality to include on video when editing if required.

Also have a Kapture KPT500 in the commodore with similar features to the IgoCam but only forward facing but does have GPS function.

Bear in mind though if you want hours of video on one video file you may have to ensure that it is set to record in low definition and use the largest memory card possible?
Have no complaints with the video quality of both cameras.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
ok, I do understand the "loop feature"
I also understand the function of the 1,3,5,10 mins taping

all good on that front

I also understand the having the GPS bit, and I would have liked it to record the speed as well..... but alas, this one does not

what I dont get is
random lengths of video - ranging from 2 seconds to 15 minutes, with no set pattern (trip from Geraldton to Perth)
stopping at a set of traffic lights (where 50% of accidents happen) and the camera stops taping, but as soon as you move off - bang it starts taping again
also, again, as well as, random lengths of video ranging from 2 seconds to 12 minutes (today - Swan Valley to Mullaloo and home again) and again, with no pattern that was discernible

I read the instructions twice (yes Ma'am, a man reading instructions..........) when I set it up
SWMBO read the instructions and tried to set it up

but
the shittingmongralbastardspasticarseholewankerofathing
will NOT record in 10 minute blocks
will not record continuously within the said 10 minute block

it is very soon going to do a very good impression of Laika the Dog.....................
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laika

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
will NOT record in 10 minute blocks
will not record continuously within the said 10 minute block
OK now I get your frustration and where you are coming from.
Haven't really looked into the Kapture files but have not had any of your issues with the IgoCam.

Had an El Cheapo one first off and had the same issue as you are having...... That one may just keep your Laika company up there somewhere o_O

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I was noticing today, when we were out driving

every time we stopped at a set of lights, it stopped recording

as soon as we took off - it started recording

if you can catch @Bushman when I throw this thing into outer space, you might have one for your back window

shittingmongralbastardwankerofathing
I think from memory that is something to do with the motion detect setting, mine stays on OK, mine is set on 10minute loop (I think), think screen display cuts out after 10 min but is still recording, the one thing that craps me is it doesn't stay on any more than 3 minutes once the key is turned off

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I think from memory that is something to do with the motion detect setting

I will have to get SWMBO to have a look at that tomorrow

worst part is............

I brought it that long ago, and forgot about it, I cannot even remember where the heck I got it

did I buy it at a show?
did I buy it from a Polaris re-seller?
did I buy it from Polaris? - dont think so, I have not brought anything direct from them in NSW
mostly brought all my Polaris stuff from the 4WD or Caravan shows...........

Reactions: Bushman and dagree