17' Series customise the 17.56-1 o/b

kegs

Sep 23, 2011
hunter valley
:fish2: Just seeking a bit more advice, I have ordered the 17.56-1 O/B and should have til Oct to get everything finalised. I am looking at factory options. Bigman suggested to get as much as possible as factory fitted as it increases the tare weight - ( thanks big man ) and can understand that. But how does that practicality works in with the cost factor of getting the extra's non factory fitted. The options I am looking at are simple things such as TV as Jayco advertises it, the CD player/radio and speakers.... I intend to get the extra gas bottle and bayonet, along with hot water system and outdoor shower. But how does the cost compare with me installing the TV/radio/cd and speakers after receiving the van.
Also the dealership has indicated that I will need a 12 point plug, but I have heard a lot about the anderson plug which may be better for charging the larger fridge which I have ordered. Can anyone tell me which would be better ??
And how does the jayco Control panel work, measure battery levels and water temp ?????

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
Hi kegs

It's not worth putting CD player/speakers in yourself, you want the wires run through the walls and it probably cost around the same money anyway.

We are getting portable solar three times the size Jayco supplies and for half the money so an anderson plug system suits us as the solar panels can be plugged into the van through it.

The TV's are really expensive, we got our 12volt TV with DVD player through an electrical retailer for around $200.00.

We opted not to get a TV antenna as it is the same price as satellite TV and you are guaranteed to get TV anywhere as long as you can see the sky.

Control panel tells you how much power you have in your battery and how much water you have in your water tanks.

Hope this helps,

Crystalyn

Reactions: kegs

kegs

Sep 23, 2011
hunter valley
thanks crystalyn,
I notice you have teh 17.56 outback as well,but with the shower, how do you find it ??? does it tow well and do you have any suggestions about the unit :fish2:

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
Hi Kegs,

Shower is very handy especially if you do a bit of free camping and because I have a toilet training toddler the toilet has been one of my favourite features.

The van tows very well, don't overlook the importance of the WDH.

My biggest suggestion is to make sure you get all the heavy items from factory so that it goes on your GVM.

Did you know that you are approx 80kg payload better off with the shower version?

Hope this helps

Crystalyn

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
All good advice! Comes down to what you can afford and what you would use.

I think the CD/speakers factory fitted is good value, as well as the battery etc.

A few items we didn't bother with is the TV, antenna and solar pack. We didn't want the TV as it was way overpriced, and we didn't want one anyway, we go camping to get away from things like TV. We also got a portable solar panel to connect into the anderson plug. I think that can save some coin for other options. We also went for the hyland hitch factory fitted which i thought was good value.

In terms of the plug, my inlaws are about to take delivery of their 17 series sterling and they got a 12pin plug plus an anderson plug. The power in the 12pin runs the large fridge, while the anderson plug charges the battery while driving. You will need to spend a few hundred setting up the car if you go this option. Some dealers try to talk you out of this option for some reason.

The best option is definitely the HWS, running on either 240V or Gas, its awesome!

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi Kegs you probably have it all sorted by now but when we ordered our van we mentioned we had a 22 in tv/combo 12 volt and just wanted them to fit the arm for it. No probs. Anything that needs wiring is best pre wired thru panels..Our TV is a conia and cost $300. including del to WA.. I love internet shopping. Cheers Jenny

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
We tried to do the same (arm installed only) but the salesperson was insistent it couldn't be installed in the 17.56 as there was no support in the wall for it. I thought they install a plate behind the wall to take the weight, but we couldn't get it as an option.... So we'll just sit it on the bench and move it when travelling.

It was also suggested that a tv shouldn't be left on the arm when traveling - anyone actually remove them, or found any problems like that?

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Hubby installed a swing arm that he got off ebay for $45 onto the side of the microwave wall. We did put a block of wood between microwave and side wall for anchorage then the plate on the other side of wall. Hubby just slides tv off whilst travelling.

2011 October The Broadwater (7).jpg
Photo of bracket with wood attached to side wall.