Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The other IAN is in Gods Country....................................QUEENSLAND.....:)
Funny; only Mexican logic i know, but i would have expected Gods Country to be called Gods'land, or mayvbe Jesusville .... and a place where men like dress as ladies, Queen's Land :boink::bolt:

Although like all properly indoctrinated aging Victorians ..... ill be moving there soon enough to be with the rest of the Victorians

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Those small white angle hard lid strut brackets have never inspired me with confidence even with the previous 16.1.

With the behemoth, one of the attaching screws sheared off. With the bracket spinning freely on the remaining screw it rendered the strut completely unusable. Lucky we werent away at the time.

The trusty service guys pop rivetted the mount back onto the fibreglass lid ... pop rivet into fibreglass; really?. Genius !

I took that prompt to replace both brackets with 120mm alum angle, 4 stainless fixing points and urethaned to the lid. I also slightly upped the strut pressure to take in the additional weight of the canvas fly

20151217_073722-resized-1400.jpg

And a stuck a couple of furniture slides just north of the bracket to push the lid away from the bracket when the lids closed

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Those small white angle hard lid strut brackets have never inspired me with confidence even with the previous 16.1.

With the behemoth, one of the attaching screws sheared off. With the bracket spinning freely on the remaining screw it rendered the strut completely unusable. Lucky we werent away at the time.

The trusty service guys pop rivetted the mount back onto the fibreglass lid ... pop rivet into fibreglass; really?. Genius !

I took that prompt to replace both brackets with 120mm alum angle, 4 stainless fixing points and urethaned to the lid. I also slightly upped the strut pressure to take in the additional weight of the canvas fly

View attachment 37590

And a stuck a couple of furniture slides just north of the bracket to push the lid away from the bracket when the lids closed
You should change your name to the ideas man IAN is so basic

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
View attachment 34421 Ive ditched most of the PVC waste pipe and I was initially going to replace it all with the 25mm clear, but Ive decided to replace it all with 25mm black garden poly pipe. Under full laboratory conditions I tested the 3 pipe sections by the universally accepted method of firing some 3inch framing nails at them in close quarters .... the first casualty was the PVC. Both the clear and poly took some dedicated and repeated accurate effort to penetrate. The poly is straight, fits through the chassis cross member sections, seems (from my testing) to be upto the task, is way cheaper, easier to work with, easier to replace and repair, and Im struggling to workout why Jayco use the clear .... which encourages mould anyway

Ive started replacing all the loops and bends on all the piping with elbows, particularly the John Guest. This helps a lot to keep the pipes from looping low and keeping them snug against the underfloor. I presume the elbows may be more easy damaged, but having the pipe sit higher should offset that a little.

View attachment 34422 The poly runs nice and straight, very easy to hide behind the cross members

@Crusty181
I have cleaned my water filler pipes two many times lately and I was thinking of replacing the filler lines as you have.
If I replace the filler lines with black polly ones hopefully then it will stay clean and not build up with the mould from sun hitting the clear PVC pipes.
How are you finding the water in the pipes since you made the change replacing them with the black polly pipe,
I am assuming no signs of mould?

Cheers
Paul

Reactions: dagree and Smirke

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I didn't care for using PVC as it doesnt flex and can go brittle, prefer the plastic stuff with irrigation barb joiners. Can still get goobers growing in pipes whether clear or black, just cant see it.
I sleeved the water lines.

Reactions: bigcol and skippy

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I didn't care for using PVC as it doesnt flex and can go brittle, prefer the plastic stuff with irrigation barb joiners. Can still get goobers growing in pipes whether clear or black, just cant see it.
I sleeved the water lines.
I can't seem to control the goobers @Drover I have cleaned the lines and the tanks with numerous products and the mould always comes back. "Weird hey"

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Don't have a look at the lines for your house then !!!!!!!! Have ripped up some town water mains, looked worse than the inside of my house tanks.

Reactions: skippy

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Don't have a look at the lines for your house then !!!!!!!! Have ripped up some town water mains, looked worse than the inside of my house tanks.
The water out of the tanks still tastes good and none of us have been ill yet, but I would have assumed mould/lime would not be a good mix in th water lines @Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Last time I looked in my rain water tanks they looked like a beach swimming pool, just needed a star fish but green frogs had to do.............If you don't look, you don't know......

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Here we go.....off topic!

BUT......one of our rain water tanks at home was emitting a strange sulphurous smell when I changed it over so I thought it was due for the guy to clean it out. The tank guy has to climb into the tank and it's a horrible job so I don't do it.

He found a couple of dead snakes as well as the usual algae etc so I was very pleased to dump the contents and start from a very clean scratch.

I was even happy to pay him. Every time I think of it my stomach turns.

On topic again.....does anyone else have one of those marine water testing units? We still have one and test our water at home and the water in the van. So far, both sources are more than safe and it's easy to do and peace of mind.

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
View attachment 34421 Ive ditched most of the PVC waste pipe and I was initially going to replace it all with the 25mm clear, but Ive decided to replace it all with 25mm black garden poly pipe. Under full laboratory conditions I tested the 3 pipe sections by the universally accepted method of firing some 3inch framing nails at them in close quarters .... the first casualty was the PVC. Both the clear and poly took some dedicated and repeated accurate effort to penetrate. The poly is straight, fits through the chassis cross member sections, seems (from my testing) to be upto the task, is way cheaper, easier to work with, easier to replace and repair, and Im struggling to workout why Jayco use the clear .... which encourages mould anyway

Ive started replacing all the loops and bends on all the piping with elbows, particularly the John Guest. This helps a lot to keep the pipes from looping low and keeping them snug against the underfloor. I presume the elbows may be more easy damaged, but having the pipe sit higher should offset that a little.

View attachment 34422 The poly runs nice and straight, very easy to hide behind the cross members

@Crusty181
I have cleaned my water filler pipes two many times lately and I was thinking of replacing the filler lines as you have.
If I replace the filler lines with black polly ones hopefully then it will stay clean and not build up with the mould from sun hitting the clear PVC pipes.
How are you finding the water in the pipes since you made the change replacing them with the black polly pipe,
I am assuming no signs of mould?

Cheers
Paul
I left most of the fillers clear, just changed where they ran. The additional filler lengths i used the same clear.

I havent found any mould in the filler pipes, but now youve mentioned ill have to check again.

All the wastes have been replaced with poly ... i doubt they would mould up.

Reactions: skippy

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Is that like a pool test kit ? Or a goldfish that does the canary trick ?

Not a pool test kit but a battery powered probe....gives ppm with a reference list to check.

We had it for the boat so have had it for years but have found it very reliable.

Not sure if they still sell them or if they've improved them but, as said, it gives peace of mind.

Nothing worse than getting a tummy problem when away from home.

And the canary hasn't survived the test. It died in 1992.

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Not a pool test kit but a battery powered probe....gives ppm with a reference list to check.

We had it for the boat so have had it for years but have found it very reliable.

Not sure if they still sell them or if they've improved them but, as said, it gives peace of mind.

Nothing worse than getting a tummy problem when away from home.

And the canary hasn't survived the test. It died in 1992.

Another gadget I didn't have.

Just grabbed on on eBay for less than $5. Let's see if it works