Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
The outside rail of the bunk is bowed. Its been bowed for a long time, and I cant be sure if it didnt came like that or that the frame may be broken. We dont use the upper bunk as a bed because with only the one Crusket at home we dont need to and we discovered early on, as you would well know, it gets stuffy up there in the penthouse.

Ive had it in the back of my mind for a long time to one day pull it apart and check it. For about the 35th time Ive trashed the inside of the van doing some mods and adjustments so it was as good a time as any to rip the bunk apart.

I have 5 grand kids, number 6 on back order and plenty of chitter chatter of it not stopping there. My eldest has a tent, and my daughters family tends to get cabins, or flop in our annex. Despite camouflaging the upper bunk as sundry storage, its only a matter of time before one of the the kids (or parents) works out that there is a ladder hanging on the bathrom wall, and that "storage area" is actually a fully functioning bed that theyll likely want to stay in, inside the relative luxury of the van

Bowed you say? What, Jayco's internal ply isn't up to the job? Oh the surprise!! :)

Fair enough... here's an idea... beef up the ventilation on the top deck and shift the Crusket up there. Then redesign the bottom bunk with an array of fridges, appliances such that the "bed" becomes a virtual serving bar for beverages and ales via the window for the outside world. With you unparalleled nouse around cabinetry, I can see some kind of flash serving table on a draw slide. At night, push it back in, voila! All secure.

That'll stop the suckers wanting to free load off your bed.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Bowed you say? What, Jayco's internal ply isn't up to the job? Oh the surprise!! :)

Fair enough... here's an idea... beef up the ventilation on the top deck and shift the Crusket up there. Then redesign the bottom bunk with an array of fridges, appliances such that the "bed" becomes a virtual serving bar for beverages and ales via the window for the outside world. With you unparalleled nouse around cabinetry, I can see some kind of flash serving table on a draw slide. At night, push it back in, voila! All secure.

That'll stop the suckers wanting to free load off your bed.
Some ideas are great, and some can change the world.

(PS With the finger jointed Meranti frame, I always wanted to know what the world record was for the amount of finger joints in a single 1.8 length. The answer, many more than I certainly thought)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
suggestions that "I could sleep on those seats". Not in my lifetime. :argue:

Same here, thats when I seriously looked at fitting 2 single office type chairs............................

Im reasonably new to this Poppy'ing business and Im quite enjoying it. The vibe Im getting here is that at some point Im going to turn a corner, and my jolly carefree inclusive Poppy persona will be replaced by an Avoidance Scheme. @Drover, @chartrock, you may need to walk me through the transition

The enjoyment is still there and something to look forward to but you learn how to enjoy it even more by not becoming a child care centre, if you look back you may recall the great plans you made for when your olds came to visit, the things you could do, places you could go while the kids played with Nanny and Poppy, then Nanny and Poppy got wise.......................................my Canberra based mob have houses that won't fit Big Mal on the lawn so we do daytime visits and they miss out on us keeping the kids occupied...lol,lol,lol......................a week over easter at Bungendore, 25kms away suppose if they had swags some could camp with us, city kids sadly so scared a Wombat might eat them.....lol,lol,lol...or a hungry easter bunny (wonder who told them that story)

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Im reasonably new to this Poppy'ing business and Im quite enjoying it. The vibe Im getting here is that at some point Im going to turn a corner, and my jolly carefree inclusive Poppy persona will be replaced by an Avoidance Scheme. @Drover, @chartrock, you may need to walk me through the transition
Mate, like @Drover, I enjoy their company but I enjoy my free time even more. I can't get away in our van as often as I would like but I can see the rugrats often at home so the answer is obvious. We are happy to babysit if we are not doing anything but draw the line at regular childminding. The families are more than welcome to join us camping in their tents or campers and they do but it means they are there to look after their kids.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I wanted to be able to minimise the 12v power consumption of the van lighting when we free camp, the brief was to be able easily and simply modify the lighting output when we're off the grid. The internal ceiling lighting is pretty good, but its un-necessarily bright for us free camping. Consumption is not such a huge impact when we have capacity to charge, but certainly adds to our overall comsumption and could have a significant impact when the solar panels arent producing. I would prefer to modify the lighting, than to modify our (more the Cruskets) behaviour not to to use certain lights etc

So .... I pulled all the ceiling lights off, re-wired them and put in a switch that can isolate one side of the dual LED's. The blue lights still work as normal (I thought Id leave them just in case someone actually works out what they are supposed to do)

View attachment 59627 View attachment 59626
Update on the re-wired "shandy" strength cabin lights.

Mucking around with the lights this long weekend, turns out they are actually all much better at half strength most of the time. Knowing we can crank them up to high beam, we've left them all turned down.

What started out as a free camping compromise, didn't end up that way

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We've found time and time again that many good camp and van mods are born only from real world actual physical camping.

As much as the desire to tinker can sometimes consume me, some of my best thought bubble mods just haven't cut in the real world and as a result I rarely allow non field tested mods past concept stage, unless they are particularly brilliant (and there has been a few)

One thought bubble mod was what I thought, from my couch at home, a brilliant idea to have a tv in each of the 2 bunks (its my van and my holidays, so keep your personal vitriol in check), so i had the van wired accordingly with 240v, 12v and tv point at the foot end

That mod failed, but 3 years later the wiring allowed that idea to morph into a much better version of its original self

We still carry 2 tv's, our main lounge one and a smaller one, for the outside ent unit, that tv lives stored on the tv bracket on the otherwise unused upper bunk

The unused tv bracket in the Crusketts bunk became a slip on mount for his Caframo fan; the fan getting a modified base plate to suit.

Another tv bracket on the kitchen wall allows the Crusketts fan to be easily slip mounted high in the kitchen; and with our bed fan spun around to cool the lounge we rarely need to use the aircon.

img_20180310_205337-resized-1920.jpg

img_20180310_205156-resized-1920.jpg

img_20180310_205241-resized-1920.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Adjustable PLV fitted close to the mains tap. If i think it might get lifted, I'll just put it at the van end of the hose and sit it on the tyre

This valve comes with a gauge. Once the applicable pressure is set in a permanent fixed pressure application (such as a caravan), and wont need further, or constant adjustement the gauge can be removed and capped off.

Pressure is then reduced before any water gets anywhere near the van

20180223_175939-resized-1920.jpg

20180310_132152-resized-1920.jpg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have thoughts of running a HDMI cable to the external TV point for Foxtel but on reflection we hardly ever use the outside TV, a mod I shouldn't have bothered with. I like your use of the TV brackets, well done.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I have thoughts of running a HDMI cable to the external TV point for Foxtel but on reflection we hardly ever use the outside TV, a mod I shouldn't have bothered with. I like your use of the TV brackets, well done.
I use the outdoor tv quite a bit. Coffee, wheat bix, news paper and morning news on tv ... perfect start to a day of doing nothing

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic
I know how insulting it is to invent a great idea, only to have some smuck (after the fact) pretend to have made it sooooooo much better.

Oh well; Im going to do it anyway.

Ive stolen @Shane Norwell fantastic drop jack extension idea. I measured the legs internal at about 34mm, but the next size down steel SHS was 30mm ext leaving it a little rattly. The first idea was to tack 30mm angle together which would add 2mm to the overall 30mm dimension, but I discovered that aluminium for some odd reason has slightly different dimensions to steel .... and in the case of the drop jack, a 32mm x 3mm alum SHS is a nice snug fit, and very light.

Im hoping that the pins won't flog out the holes in the alum over time. The length of the extended drop jack is now 900mm.

View attachment 31763View attachment 31764View attachment 31762

Hi @Crusty181, I was just wondering how the Drop Jack Extensions are holding up? Are the holes in the aluminum holding up?

Reactions: sierramason

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic
That's good, I'll have to add it to my latest mod to increase the jack footprint.
I bought a piece of aluminium plank to replace the plastic foot.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    393.5 KB · Views: 303
Reactions: Eddii