17' Series Creaking Floor on 17-56-2

Glenn todd

Sep 16, 2014
I picked up my 17-56-2 van in late December & have used it twice, very happy with the van except for a creaking floor. I spoke to Page bros. & Have it booked in . Was told that this is common & they will have to fit floor
extension supports to the cross bars. Has any one else had a similar problem. Any feed back would be welcome.

Regards,
Glenn.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Pretty common, I think it comes from poor fixing of the floor in the first place, they seem to basically shoot nails to hold down then whack some screws in, so if not firm to begin with it moves.................just a guess from observations...................the joins between the floor sheets can have movement if they are out in the open and I have looked at the braces they fit and seemed to support where the joins are, well not really joints as they just butt the edges together.............this applies to most vans anyway.

Looking at the paint job underneath on floors when new then seeing them a few years later I have taken to spraying mine with chassis black or underbody spray to give the timber some extra protection as the original paint wouldn't protect the timber for long, gives the chassis a bit of extra cover as well, it doesn't look pretty but does a good job.

Reactions: Bluey and bigcol

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Anyone able to get pics of their bracing? Mine just started and might try to fix it myself as it's out of warranty
sorry, van is in lock up. When I am near to it, if I remember, I will get some pics. From memory, they just put extra beams across the floor, in between the original ones. Still feels 'bouncy' in places though.

Reactions: Jared Dunne

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you weld some angle, same gauge as the original across the section that's got the floppy floor with glue between it and the floor, heavy weight on the floor above so the glue sets properly. It may require removal of fittings underneath like tanks or plumbing while you do it.
Due to the thickness of the panel used as flooring screwing into it would not do any good as they can pull out....

PS: Dont forget to disconnect the battery and solar if you weld.

Last edited:

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @Jared Dunne . Just been out to where van is and took this photo. It has the 2 of the same cross beams which have been welded to main frame between the original ones. Not sure if picture shows it too good 6588AD75-E0DF-48BA-859C-F216E4E8A967.jpeg
F4055A3C-6B03-480B-BCB6-628FB9C460E4.jpeg

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh and I should mention, check the floor underneath to see that it hasn't delaminated which would mean replacing that section of flooring.

Reactions: Smirke

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Squeeze some silicon (or something harder) between the frame and the floor to fill in the gap. It will fill the gap and stop the creak.