Cost of Jayco first service at three months

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
after signing the contract to buy a new Penguin from Bayswater Jayco, I was then given a document outlining the costs for having it serviced. I was "surprised" at the time that they will charge something like $270
to do a mandatory service at three months. Being a bit befuddled at finally making a decision
to buy the Penguin and actually signing the contract, I let it slide without any comment at the time.

But after reading a few posts to these forums, I was reminded about this and wanted to ask if this is normal
procedure at Bayswater Jayco or other Jayco dealers? Is it something I should have been street smart about
and negotiated away before signing?

What probably annoys me most is that, at three months, I cannot see much in the way of maintenance for wear and tear. I would think that most of the things that will need to be done will be warranty repairs which
Bayswater will charge back to Jayco.

So I am wondering if I should make two bookings. The first to attend to all
the warranty related items for which there will be no charge, and then a second for the mandatory service where they will be required to do all and only the maintenance necessary to justify the $270 charge.

I cannot remember ever buying a new car and being hit with a bill for the first 1,000km service.
Even for a new Getz that cost around half the price of a Penguin, the first 1000km service was free.

Maybe I am just whinging too much! But I would be very interested to read and understand other owners opinions and experiences.

kindest regards
Mike

Reactions: Delano and Macca_75

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
The price sounds about right @mikerezny (All be it a bit pricey for what they do!!)
We bought our expanda from Jayco Caravanland here in the West and there was no mandatory service mentioned.... In fact it was recommended to us to take it to one of the local Jayco authorised agents closer to home to save dragging it all over the other side of the city!

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sounds right.

The service is not just for warranty issues but to make adjustments to such items as the torque on wheel nuts and to inspect the operation of many items. All of these need to settle before final adjustments are made.

It's not for wear and tear.

I'd much rather they did it, as that's where their expertise is, rather than trust and hope that items needing to be checked are actually inspected.

How can they warrant something if it's not inspected or adjusted, given a settling in time?

Reactions: bigcol

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
These prices make me feel a little better...

Just got The Big Green Lizard back from New Age from it's 3month 1000km service and it was $220. This included all warranty "issues" and checking/inspection of pretty much every moving part, electrical system, gas system... etc. I mean it was basically checking to see if everything was working (i.e. essentially using the van) but I trust they look over it a little more of a learned eye than myself.

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Yep, the price looks about right. Jayco Hobart want $300 to do the thousand kay checkup on our van. 70 grand for a van, and they can't even do the first "service" for free. No thanks. Then they want to sting another 5 hundred each year???

I'm perfectly happy with the van, but there is no way on earth that I am paying them that kind of money for a service.

Despite what they claim they will do, I am more than just slightly dubious.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Waiting to pick up my new van but I'm a little surprised to see they charge for the first service. Like when buying a new car, the 1,000km "check up" is free.

No issues paying for regular servicing, but on a new van where they need to check everything is OK (as it shipped from the factory) - that's a bit rich.

Thats said I guess I'll sign up when I pick up the new van.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I understood the first service was obligatory.

I could be wrong but I do know some had difficulties with getting warranty issues dealt with ...easily...when they'd delayed or ignored the 1000 k service.

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Hi Dobbie,

Making the first service "obligatory" and also charging for it would be a breach of Australian Consumer Law. Jayco are not the sort of company to enter that realm - in fact they are noted for having excellent warranty support.

Reactions: Delano

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Fair enough for annual service if you're confident and competent.....and I'm sure you are.

But the original question was related to the first service, at 1000ks and I reckon it should be done by an accredited Jayco service place, if only to ensure there's no future problem with warranty.

Maybe they should factor in the cost in the purchase price and make it free!

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
Question on 1st Service, plus that download was great info.

We get our new van 17th Nov, then on 16th Dec I head of for a 10,000 km trip. Do I try and get the 1000km service done before the trip (easily done) or maybe squeeze it in Perth if possible on my trip ? 5,000km later.

Personally I will try and get it booked in before, but it is a concern in the back of my head, as by 3 months she will have down around 12,000km.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'd definately get it done as close to the 1000 as possible.

We collected our van, thought we knew what was what, and departed. 2000 kms later we'd read all the handbooks and things looked fine but I checked the wheel nuts and saw the sticker re torque adjustment.

We had a torque wrench on board so checked with that. They were way out and even more when I checked again.

Service guy fixed it all and I found my understanding of how to use a torque wrench accurately was sadly lacking.

A few other minor issues came up in the service, most of which I hadn't even noticed.

So....I'd get it done.

My 10 cents worth!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Fair enough for annual service if you're confident and competent.....and I'm sure you are.

But the original question was related to the first service, at 1000ks and I reckon it should be done by an accredited Jayco service place, if only to ensure there's no future problem with warranty.
Totally agree with the first service being done by someone accredited to do it for warranty work (Even if the person doing the actual work may not be qualified?)... Once warranty is over and done with I believe that if you are capable then do it..... If not take it elsewhere especially if it is something that needs experience to ensure it is done by the book and SAFELY!!!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
when I picked up my Van in the July 2013, we were heading off to Exmouth 3 weeks later
when I asked about the 500-1000 km service, and explained that I would be half way to Exmouth from Carnarvon at 1000kms

they said, just book it in for when you return

I tried to book it in (only 3 places at that time did jayco servicing - not Caravanland though) they were all booked up until the January (6 months)

so I did it myself at my mates work shop when I returned from Exmouth

its never been near a Jayco center since the day I picked it up

Reactions: Doc and dagree

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
The 1000km service in my opinion is a check to ensure the factory did there job. As mentioned above they shouldn't be charging for it. Our new Cruiser went in for the 1000km "check up" not service at $0 cost.
Hi,
I couldn't agree more.

There are some aspects of a new van that cannot be set up correctly until there are a few kms on the clock. And items corrected that will avoid them incurring more expenses under warranty if fixed quickly.

Who did the free service?

kindest regards
Mike

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I don't think that anyone had a free 1000k service but we've suggested it should be and they might like to consider building it into the purchase price.

It would protect the manufacturer and give new buyers peace of mind ....and could be done by any Jayco accredited repairer, not necessarily the dealer purchased from.

:flypig: