Confused...

Patons

Jun 10, 2014
Hervey Bay QLD
Trying to decide between the 17ft bunk starcraft, 17ft journey with bunks or a 17ft expanda..... Hubby really wants a 21ft expanda but I'm trying to decide on a cheaper option lol. The first two are pretty similar and the expanda prob has more room but slightly more work with bed ends....

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I really like the 17-55-9 Journey that @Billrw136 has just got with single beds and have thought about putting bunk beds above if they will fit after removing the overhead cupboards. Just thinking at this stage no $$$$:(. Then put cupboards back in when kids dont want to come away or happy in swags. Great size and layout I recon.

Patons

Jun 10, 2014
Hervey Bay QLD
@Patons How big is the family?
We went 17" Starcraft as 4 kids. I also liked the kids beds at the rear with perm bunks.
Did not need to un do the the table each night to put them to bed
21" Expanda very very nice :)
Hi :) there are 4 of us (kids 10 & 5) I do like the idea of the perm bunks over having to move the top bunk to sit at table of journey? Def have the combo toilet shower even though hubby reckons he won't even be able to use it cause it's so small lol. The journey looks slightly more roomy inside though? And not sure bout the oven right next to the bed in the starcraft.. :/

Patons

Jun 10, 2014
Hervey Bay QLD
I even thought about a 17 or 19 starcraft with a full bathroom and fold down the dinette for our daughter but then there's nowhere for the son to sleep he says he'd be happy in a swag outside but I think after a cold night maybe not..? lol

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Oven we do not expect to use much. Cook with the Weber outside.
If you do not need the extra fold out bed the 20" Expanda does not have combo toilet/shower
Or even a 17.56-2?
Seeing your downsizing from a 22.68-1 what do you like and not like with the layout?
Would you buy secondhand

Patons

Jun 10, 2014
Hervey Bay QLD
Yes true same here we've only used our oven twice to heat something up. Hubby likes everything about what we currently have, and me too mostly. Def don't like the triple with only the two kids not enough head room for them. And our dinette is quite small we don't fit around it very well so mostly eat outside. Main reason for selling is to downsize mainly the loan more so than the van. But I'm happy to go a bit smaller. Happy to buy second hand but I'd prob not go older than 2012. I don't mind the 17 expanda as it would give us two eating areas inside kids under bunk and us at dinette. Guess the reason I was looking at the Starcraft or journey there was less to unfold set up as such and you can buy a brand new one cheaper.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
The bottom bunk on the 17" Starcraft is not that high. The top one has room with the pop top up. The Starcraft pop top is 10cm lower then Expanda/Journey so keep that in mind. Why the microwave is at your feet I would assume.
Also are you happy climbing over each other on the bed :)
Depends on how much you need to downsize the loan to.
I have seen some nice 17-56 and Work and Plays around $35k secondhand.

Reactions: Patons

Patons

Jun 10, 2014
Hervey Bay QLD
Was going to say where are you finding these vans then I realised you're in VIC lol I can't find any for less than $41/$40k here in Qld. I think they are cheaper down there. I don't mind the work n plays hubby dislikes as the toilet shower is in the kitchen and he reckons too much wasted space in the back :/

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
You could always go for a holiday and a trip. We almost brought a van in SA. I looked Australia wide. Actually still having a look around now as a habit.. Wife said stop it.
Your plan you have is one of the best around.
I found NSW and SA had the best prices around while looking.

Patons

Jun 10, 2014
Hervey Bay QLD
Well starcraft has sold. Now the shopping begins, I'm pretty sure I've settled on the 17.56-2 expanda. Hubby hates the pop top and combo shower toilet, trying to convince him pop tops aren't as much trouble as he's making out and we can still use the shower in the combo just fine! He wants the 21.64-1 expanda but I don't want to spend that sort of money lol

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hubby is right about pop top and shower/toilet combo. We were similar to you guys, in the end we bought a late 2012 second hand 18.57-5 mainly because it was full height and had the big shower/separate toilet. Maybe check out some used vans, heaps come up that are hardly used. I would love a 21.64-1 but I would not be confident towing something that big that's why we went 18 however they have reduced the number of floor plans>:(.
If I was spending your money and an expanda was out of the equation, I would buy the Journey, they are higher inside and just feel that bit roomier.

Good luck.

Reactions: davemc and Patons

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Well starcraft has sold. Now the shopping begins, I'm pretty sure I've settled on the 17.56-2 expanda. Hubby hates the pop top and combo shower toilet, trying to convince him pop tops aren't as much trouble as he's making out and we can still use the shower in the combo just fine! He wants the 21.64-1 expanda but I don't want to spend that sort of money lol

If you are going for the expanda the poptop is going to be least of his worries, having canvas bed ends.
Realise you have come from a Starcraft with solid walls all round. I have the Discovery with bunks.
My decision for this was I wanted those hard walls around me so in in extreme windy wet weather there was nothing to worry about. Also wanted the least set up. As far as the bunk bed being needed to be setup put down I taught the kids how to do that so in the morning I just sit in bed and watch them.
Again it all depends how you use the van. If your planning to do week long trips in one spot the extra time to set up bed ends and covers might not be an issue. My intended use was for shorter weekend trips and to allow stops on the road at night.
Also with expanda make sure the fridge is not on the door side if you want a full annex. Good luck with the decision.

Patons

Jun 10, 2014
Hervey Bay QLD
Are the bunks in the discovery/ journey a full length? Wondering how long my son will be able to sleep on one. I don't mind this model but wasn't sure but packing up the beds everyday so we can sit at the table. We generally do long weekends but every school hols we go away for 5-6 nights.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
180cm long. Here's a pic with the bed covertor I have.
20140707_075434.jpg

Arranged in the lounge with 'Chaise' layout.
20140707_075212.jpg

Reactions: Bonners and Patons

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@macca Sarah and I where talking yesterday if we moved to a new van we really liked your setup.
Cold and damp in Bendigo so been carrying the 5 and 7 year old to ensuite toilet rear of van as they are in there onesies
Although still do not know I can do the dump point thing :)

@Patons just did a search if you want to go non jayco around $40k
http://caravancampingsales.mobi/buy/details/?R=15969541
http://caravancampingsales.mobi/buy/details/?R=24119817
Foldaway double Starcraft I liked this design although 4 kids
http://caravancampingsales.mobi/buy/details/?R=15746221
A few discovery around with showers

Not a easy choice

You could get the 17 Starcraft like us just toilet/shower combo