Concern over water leaks over beds

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
The photos below is the rain gutter system i have under the hard lids. Should any water leak through the hinge, it runs down into the gutter and tracks out to the side of my storm covers. I had custom storm covers made that has clear windows, blockout flaps and flyscreens that helps keep the rain away from the canvas.

I experienced rain on that trip that i have never seen below and it worked.

Attachments

• IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 643
  • IMG_1436.JPG
    IMG_1436.JPG
    962.3 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    532.6 KB · Views: 717

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
We had a small leak on our bed, but this has taken up after being wet a couple of times and we have not seen it again. We generally use the bed fly if we will be set up for a few days. It only takes a minute to put on. Where we did have a leak was around the hatch where the toilet cassette is accessed. It appears that there was no sealant at all put around the hatch. All fixed now though.

Reactions: Dobbie

petedickson71

Jan 19, 2018
Newcastle
The photos below is the rain gutter system i have under the hard lids. Should any water leak through the hinge, it runs down into the gutter and tracks out to the side of my storm covers. I had custom storm covers made that has clear windows, blockout flaps and flyscreens that helps keep the rain away from the canvas.

I experienced rain on that trip that i have never seen below and it worked.

Hi tony- that looks like it would work pretty well- nice work! Can I ask how you fixed the gutter to the fibreglass please and does the gutter run outside your covers or on the inside of them please?

Notreve76

Jan 20, 2018
Perth
Hi Guys. I'm new here and a new expanda owner so forgive me for some silly questions I may ask.

Just bought a 2008 16.49.1 and have read about the leaking bed ends. The storm covers being mentioned on here, can we get the for the non hard lid like ours and if not anything similar? Thanks guys
Dave

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi Guys. I'm new here and a new expanda owner so forgive me for some silly questions I may ask.

Dave
There is no such thing on this forum. Welcome. The storm covers talked about here are fitted directly to the hard lid so would not be suitable for the earlier models but covers are available that fit over the extended bed on poles. Just like this one (with apologies to @Still Workin who has it listed for sale)
1516454151342.png

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
Hi tony- that looks like it would work pretty well- nice work! Can I ask how you fixed the gutter to the fibreglass please and does the gutter run outside your covers or on the inside of them please?
I stuck it with Polyurethane and the ends protrude just past where the storm covers clip onto the body. It works OK with water on the canvas.
I have a small leak through the main roof which when it gets back home, I will personally seal every joint myself to stop it.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria

Just bought a 2008 16.49.1 and have read about the leaking bed ends. The storm covers being mentioned on here, can we get the for the non hard lid like ours and if not anything similar? Thanks guys
Dave

Hi Dave,

I have the same van and have not had a leak problem. I have the fly's that i put in every time and will try and find a photo of it set up. Unlike the above photo, mine is shaped like the bed end. Will find a pic soon.

Reactions: Notreve76

Notreve76

Jan 20, 2018
Perth
Hi Dave,

I have the same van and have not had a leak problem. I have the fly's that i put in every time and will try and find a photo of it set up. Unlike the above photo, mine is shaped like the bed end. Will find a pic soon.

Great Thank you. I have heard a few people now say they dont have leak problem. Luck of the draw maybe? Hopefully mine is one of them :)

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
hi Dave @Notreve76
below are some pic's I found when researching the earlier model Expanda's, but I ended up buying the hard lid type in 2013

expanda bed awening.jpg

expanda bed awning.jpg

dont remember where I found the pictures, but they look awesome

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I remember having a look at ebay when I was thinking of doing that to my Flamingo...... they were not that much
just was not enthused by having to do it myself.............