Concern over water leaks over beds

thornwaterfall

Jan 30, 2013
Waterfall, NSW
I have done quite a bit of research in to the "expanda" range of pop top caravans, and I don't find much in the way of complaints about water leaks into the bedding area, until I started to look into the Jayco Expanda. I really like the Jayco expanda model over a Windsor Rapid. Is the water leaking issue as common as it seams? Can It be easily fixed?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I have $50 worth of clear plastic around my bed ends. Seen heavy rain only once or twice but dry as a bone. Not sure I would want to sit through too much rain without the plastic if only due to the condensation and wicking issues that you will face with any single canvas set up.

sumo

Jan 20, 2013
I also have a 16.49.3 front end leeked until jayco reseald hinge and no more leek but that the least of my problems but thats another story

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
A lot of wet bed ends are due transfer from bedding touching the canvas. We have waterproof bed ends too so don't have to worry about bedding anymore

summer01

Jan 25, 2013
I have $50 worth of clear plastic around my bed ends. Seen heavy rain only once or twice but dry as a bone. Not sure I would want to sit through too much rain without the plastic if only due to the condensation and wicking issues that you will face with any single canvas set up.

Relgate - how have you attached clear plastic to bed ends. We have had numerous leaks from hard bed lids and awning.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Relgate - how have you attached clear plastic to bed ends. We have had numerous leaks from hard bed lids and awning.

I have the privacy screens on mine. I cut the plastic to match the screens and then used small elastic loops to hook it around each press stud. There are a few mods like this on the forum. I stole the idea from another member.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
We had leaks in the first and second expanda through the hinge. But Jayco fixed them.
As for leaking through the canvas, well it is hard to stop that in any van if you are putting things against it.
But it can be easily solved by getting waterproof bed ends made up.

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
we have the 17.56 OB and in our first 2 trips away we have seen 220mm of rain with no leaks any where inside the van. the only leak seems to be along the sail track that the awning is attached to but i can live with that.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Ours leaked along the awning as well. Surely this can be fixed?! I plan to list it as a warranty item.

Cheznick5

Jan 21, 2013
Merimbula, NSW
We have aa expanda 17.56.1 and have been through rain and havent had any issues at all other than the seem on the awning as per jim74 but im sure that will settle with time as the sticthing shrinks.its only minor drops nothing seroius at all.
We went from a Swan to an expanda and heard nothing but horro stories about water leaking and havent had any issues at all.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Same as some others, i made up $50 odd worh of platic ends myself and it works a treat, i did notice when away at Christmas that there was some water running down next to the hinge that was running down the canvass but its an easy fix.
Cheers

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Same as some others, i made up $50 odd worh of platic ends myself and it works a treat, i did notice when away at Christmas that there was some water running down next to the hinge that was running down the canvass but its an easy fix.
Cheers

Hi [MENTION=2246]leesy[/MENTION]. I have this same issue. How did you fix it?

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Hi [MENTION=2246]leesy[/MENTION]. I have this same issue. How did you fix it?

Well on the day i inserted a few plastic disposable plates under the dribble to coach it out and away from the canvas, worked a treat!
I am not sure how to action in a more permanate way yet! I was thinking a stick on bit of rubber seal, only need it to drop down an inch or two just so it misss the canvas.
Cheers

PRADO KEV

Feb 22, 2012
Mornington Peninsula
I have just had an old fashion bed end fly like they use on camper trailers made up for my 2012 expanda and picked it up last saturday. Prestige jayco modified the fly specific for the expanda. Slides into sail track above the parker (front bed) and sits about 100 ml from the hard lid and canvas. Cost $250.00 plus $99.00 to fit. The hard lid and canvas is fully enclosed from the weather. It is not permanently fixed. Took 5 minutes to set up with 3 poles and guy ropes pegged down. I too had issues with wet bed ends so I think I have nailed it now.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Hmmm. I hope this is not the permanent Jayco solution. It kind of defeats the whole reason for going to the hard lid and quick set up times.......

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
I have a 2015 model that alot of people have had trouble with. I installed vinyl storm covers that enclose the beds (like a kakadu cover) and installed a rainwater gutter below the hinge to channel water out should water leak through the hinge.

I was down at Cowra & Wagga Wagga within the last 2 weeks and experienced up to 30mm in two hrs of rain in one night alone. No leaks encountered. Alot of people complain about wet bedding with most instances caused from bedding resting against the canvas- the covers prevent this. In relation to the hinge, the rain gutter merely channels water that should leak though away before it runs onto the canvas top.

Most people on the forum tinker with their vans when they aren't used and simple things like this removes any quality issues that may originate from the factory.

kozza

Jun 14, 2015
Melbourne
I have a 2015 model that alot of people have had trouble with. I installed vinyl storm covers that enclose the beds (like a kakadu cover) and installed a rainwater gutter below the hinge to channel water out should water leak through the hinge.

I was down at Cowra & Wagga Wagga within the last 2 weeks and experienced up to 30mm in two hrs of rain in one night alone. No leaks encountered. Alot of people complain about wet bedding with most instances caused from bedding resting against the canvas- the covers prevent this. In relation to the hinge, the rain gutter merely channels water that should leak though away before it runs onto the canvas top.

Most people on the forum tinker with their vans when they aren't used and simple things like this removes any quality issues that may originate from the factory.

Hi Tony

Im sure that many - myself included - would greatly appreciate any photos that you may be able to post.

Thanks

Peter