16' Series Compliance plate tare weight

MarkAW

Jan 25, 2017
Point Cook
Hi

Loaded up the 16.49.4 Outback and went over the Broadford weigh bridge and was surprised to see we were over the 2,192 Atm figure slightly.

We have the external shower and two water tanks so we were supposed to have the 375kg payload due to the extra water tank.

I emptied the van and weighed at the local scrap metal yard

Actual Tare weight was 1,900 not the 1,817 stamped on the compliance plate.

ATM 2,192 - Tare 1,817 = 375kg (did Jayco just make these numbers up to equal 375kg payload?)

ATM 2,192 - less actual TARE 1,900 = 292kg.

Once the two water tanks and two gas bottles are full (that's 180kg) only leaves 112kg for food, clothes, generator, tools, bikes etc.

Has anyone had Jayco reweigh their van and adjust the compliance plate? Or will i be wasting time asking? If you don't ask you don't get anything so i will have a go and see what Jayco have to say.

Cheers

Reactions: wally

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
How old is the van

Jayco supposedly weigh each van and add the standard extra pay load weight, which the incentive to pay extortion prices for the accesories to have them included in the factory ATM.

The key issues would be whether you purchased it new, and its still in factory delivery condition with regards to weight. Second hand you will struggle I suspect. There are engineers that will adjust your weights, but there was a thread on here that concluded that there was seemingly nothing stopping you from increasing your own compliance plate within the range of the documented suspension and axle capacities etc. You might want to double check that first

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and Drover

MarkAW

Jan 25, 2017
Point Cook
How old is the van

Jayco supposedly weigh each van and add the standard extra pay load weight, which the incentive to pay extortion prices for the accesories to have them included in the factory ATM.

The key issues would be whether you purchased it new, and its still in factory delivery condition with regards to weight. Second hand you will struggle I suspect. There are engineers that will adjust your weights, but there was a thread on here that concluded that there was seemingly nothing stopping you from increasing your own compliance plate within the range of the documented suspension and axle capacities etc. You might want to double check that first
The van is only a few months old, delivered late May 2018

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
After the issues ive had im sure they make them up they said to me they would take my van back as i got it new but after that i never heard from them again and i still got the van as per weights there hopeless i reckon

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The van is only a few months old, delivered late May 2018
If you empty it completely back to delivery day weight, they should be badge it. Or try to get them to accept your weight docket and the printed Tare

Personally Id probably hide some bricks in it to get a buffer on the ATM. ;)

Reactions: Bluey

MarkAW

Jan 25, 2017
Point Cook
I emailed Jayco and response was
'Please contact your selling dealer re this request you will have
To take the van them completely empty they will have to weigh the van
If there is an issue they will have to contact the compliance team
For assistance.'

I'm off to the dealer i guess.

Reactions: bigcol and Bluey

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I emailed Jayco and response was
'Please contact your selling dealer re this request you will have
To take the van them completely empty they will have to weigh the van
If there is an issue they will have to contact the compliance team
For assistance.'

I'm off to the dealer i guess.
Hide those bricks :)

Reactions: bigcol and Bluey

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I was under the impression the Outback had a payload of 475 Kg, I know mine has.
Hi @chartrock,
if I am not mistaken, a 16.49.4 is a single axle and your 17.55.9 is a tandem.

A single axle has a 300kg personal allowance whereas a tandem has 400kg.

Then if an internal shower is fitted, the allowance is increased by 75kg.

Well, at least that is what the Jayco website states.

cheers
Mike

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
my opinion

I dont think that all the extras are fitted before they (Jayco) weight them when they come off the line
some are dealer fitted.............

my opinion
Hi @bigcol,
when I picked up our Penguin, the tare was about what was stated in the sales brochure. But we had mudflaps, a Fiamma awning, and a battery fitted.

I was initially concerned that indeed they had been fitted by the dealer after being weighed at Jayco and the compliance plate fitted.
I checked with the dealer and they assured me that all items were fitted at the factory and nothing was added by the dealer.

I was still a bit suspicious, so I checked the compliance plates of quite a few new Penguins and, after allowing for factory fitted options, the Tare was lower than the Sales brochure on all of them. So, I have just accepted the weighbridge docket from Jayco (supplied when you take delivery) which agrees with the compliance plate. Incidentally, the Tares on all the Penguins I looked at were all different. So, I am sure they don't just pick a number out of the air and put it on all of them.

I did the Jayco factory tour, and I think it is most unlikely that options are fitted at the factory after the van is weighed. The way the factory works is that there are quite a few assembly lines spread over several sheds. Options are fitted at various times during the van's progress through the assembly line. After the final inspection, the van leaves the assembly line and, I assume, heads over to the weighbridge. It is most unlikely they have more than one weighbridge area. After that, they get the docket, and again, I assume, stamp and fit the compliance plate.

I have a mate that wants to go on the tour. When I go with him, I want to take a more detailed look at the internals of a Penguin and I will also quiz them about the weighing and compliance plate process.

cheers
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Adjusting the tare won't do much other than make the numbers match, if they are going to change the plate ensure the ATM & GTM is pushed up, they could do that with out any great drama up to near the axle load rating, Tare means buggerall to the Transport fellas .

Reactions: bigcol

MarkAW

Jan 25, 2017
Point Cook
Adjusting the tare won't do much other than make the numbers match, if they are going to change the plate ensure the ATM & GTM is pushed up, they could do that with out any great drama up to near the axle load rating, Tare means buggerall to the Transport fellas .
Correct, i want the ATM increased from 2,192 to 2,275 kg. to reflect the higher tare weight

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Correct, but they are likely to stick with standard figures, in this case being a payload of 375kg. Youll need the Tare for them to add that 375kg to in order to get the final correct ATM. They wont just re-plate the van to a random ATM, so at least with some forethought and prep you can have some control on the result. There's been much previous chitta chat about Jayco refusing to increase ATM's outside their standard figures, so for me Id be planning least/ worst favourable result and in preparation Id be stripping the van back to factory weight and sneaky hiding an extra 50kg somewhere where they wont find it.

Don't forget that water in the HWS, pipes, pump, and remaining under the drain hole in "empty" water tanks could easily add upto 40kg plus. Good luck, hope you get a good result

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Whats the axle load rating on your rig @MarkAW ??? That could be a hidden barrier to pushing up things, being a single axle the GTM may already be close to it.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Whats the axle load rating on your rig @MarkAW ??? That could be a hidden barrier to pushing up things, being a single axle the GTM may already be close to it.
With regard to the Axle group load capacity, does this refer to each axle (even though I don't actually have axles with Jtech) or to the pair ?

My Axle Group Loading is 2920kg with my ATM at 3091kg.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
With regard to the Axle group load capacity, does this refer to each axle (even though I don't actually have axles with Jtech) or to the pair ?

My Axle Group Loading is 2920kg with my ATM at 3091kg.
Thats interesting. Im in the same boat as you. I suspect they'll deduct the ball weight from the ATM

Reactions: Drover