Electrical CO detector question

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
I bought a CO detector from bunnings a quell one that has a lithium battery guaranteed not to die within 10 years.....so i pulled it out and finally got to installing it but the instructions are quite ambiguous and seem to think its better on a wall than on the ceil8ng.

Then i read further and it suggests a different model for caravans and boats.....there was nothing to indicate this on the packaging.....im wondering if i need to heed this advice or will it suffice?

More than anything i dont want to blow the 50 bucks i paid as the packaging is long gone.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
There was some discussion on this subject in another thread recently.

The perfect location is close to where the CO is likely to be generated (stove, fridge, HWS) and on a wall towards the upper half of the van.

Thats often quite difficult to achieve, so the majority of people (including me) mount them on the ceiling near the smoke alarm. You can actually buy a combine CO and smoke alarm so they will be most at home one the ceiling anyhow.

Whilst CO is about the same density as air, its generated by burning LPG, and as such will be hot, and will naturally rise to the ceiling before it cools and mixes with the air.

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
One of the concerns i had of mounting on the roof is if the aircon is running on a hot night, it might disturb the airflow and the ability of the detector to pick up the CO....not sure if its that much of an issue....

I ended up taking it back and getting a First Alert version that refers to RV mounting in the instructions..

Reactions: bigcol