Exterior Cleaning a bull bar

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
Don't. If it's badly tarnished it's gunna take forever. With buffing wheels to get into the corners I spent about 5 hours on the Prado. Looked fantastic for a couple months. Then tarnished again.Only have painted bullbars now.
I couldn't agree more Dean, we had a plain alloy bar years ago and will never go that way again. Now they are all black, but I guess any painted colour would be ok. A good pressure clean and it's done, no polishing, no special care and no sleepless nights thinking about smudges or bugs.

our bulbar gets used/abused and I see it as an essential piece of gear so I guess having a 'pretty' one doesn't appeal so much. Painted just seems to make sense.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
@Sammy D I mean the sheets will be black from polishing, I love coloir coded bbars so all white for me. Probably more of a pain than black bbar but nothing like an alloy.

My alloy rims were a pain with the Prado aswell. After doing tje bullbar I didn't do more than look in disgust.

Reactions: Sammy D

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Painted is the way to go. I had an alloy on my Navara and it never looked good but the BT50 is painted with a mottled grey and just requires a wash like the rest of the truck..
Navara BB.jpg
DSC_8873 1.jpg

Reactions: Sammy D