Electrical Charging using smart charger

dirtdiggler

Sep 6, 2016
Perth
Many smart chargers are designed to do that, but it might depend just how 'smart' your one is.
Most vans that don't have setec units are set up with a smart charger that can supply a load whilst charging a battery at the same time.

Reactions: Axl

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Yeah I think it will be fine I'm just wondering if having the Projecta direct onto the battery will cause an issue with power flowing back to the Setec, I doubt it will but I'll disconnect it anyway it's only two bolts.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If the Setek is wired correctly then turning battery switch off and connecting the Projecta direct to battery there shouldn't be any problem as the Setek is not on the circuit, actually wouldn't be a problem anyway as they will work with solar charging things while Setek us hooked up to 240.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Yeah I think it will be fine I'm just wondering if having the Projecta direct onto the battery will cause an issue with power flowing back to the Setec, I doubt it will but I'll disconnect it anyway it's only two bolts.

Hi @Axl , I have an Anderson plug on the side of my van connected directly across the pos and neg battery terminal with a 30amp fuse in line. This line can be used for supplying power to battery by charger or taking power out for high drain equipment and does not go through the Setec or fuse outlets. No real need to disconnect batteries. Switching the main battery isolation switch is also unnecessary as no power is going through or into Setec. See attached picture of outside connections. The other one is for my solar connections which go through to my solar controller and then to battery - but NOT THROUGH SETEC!! . Saves getting into battery compartment when charging or use for other purposes.

Attachments

• 27 Jul 17 (1).JPG
    27 Jul 17 (1).JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 345
Reactions: Delano and Drover