Electrical Charging from external solar + rooftop

GoneBush

May 9, 2018
WA
First post here, gearing up for trip in July with a borrowed Expanda late-2017. Don’t have the docs and can’t find an owners manual online (anyone have it scanned could PM?) and the owner not techy.
We shall be free camping for 6 nights in one spot. Using the vehicle during the days so like to leave an Engel in the van in addition to the Dometic which will be running gas. I have a 150w redarc solar blanket so thinking I’ll deploy it to supplement the rooftop 120W.
- the factory DC charger on board, will this unit process 2 solar inputs concurrently (pun ha ha) for a combined 270W if sunny? Running the Engel and topping up the battery for the dark hours.
- I would connect it via the draw bar (I’ve had built an adapter from my tow vehicle’s 7-round plus Anderson to the factory 12 pin; don’t want to enter the Anderson vs 12 pin wars, I need to run the Dometic while driving to the campsite). So power from my blanket to pin-2 and 3 will work because my adapter powers pin 2 (and 9) from the Anderson because my vehicle’s pin-2 is reverse. Hope you’re still with me. Is this the way to do it or in a standard factory build is there some other aux input to the battery charger that’s accessible ?
- the Dometic will continue to run on gas while it also sees a voltage from the draw bar ?
- final question, I should use my solar regulator from the blanket as the draw bar would expect regular voltage ? Not some kind of regulator on regulator problem with this?

I s’pose my alternative to all this kerfufle is to leave the Engel in the vehicle running off the auxiliary battery and deploy the blanket to the roof while we poodle around the local tracks. Might be safer, but where’s the fun in that ?

Thanks to all

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Ok not sure about the 12pin plug but most Anderson/12 pin plugs only run power to the fridge direct and not the batteries in the van.

check it with a multimeter when unplugged from the car.
If it does not have power then you might need to charge the batteries in the van direct with the portable unit and yes you can run the roof solar and portable solar at the same time no probs but do not send it through the Setec unit send it directly to the batteries.

Reactions: Drover and Delano

GoneBush

May 9, 2018
WA
most Anderson/12 pin plugs only run power to the fridge direct and not the batteries in the van
The adapter I've had built uses the Anderson to power the fridge circuit AND powers pin-2 which supplies the anti-sway unit and the batteries in the van (when it's connected to the vehicle).

check it with a multimeter when unplugged from the car
Good idea I'll rig up the solar with my adapter and check it out.

If it does not have power then you might need to charge the batteries in the van direct with the portable unit and yes you can run the roof solar and portable solar at the same time no probs but do not send it through the Setec unit send it directly to the batteries.
OK got it. But if it does have power? Another way to ask my question is: when you are driving along towing the van does the battery charge from both the roof solar and the tow vehicle at the same time ?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Agree with @NoWorries , the 12v supply on draw bar will run direct to fridge with an off shoot to the Setek or whatever charger in van so solar thru the 12 pin wouldn't work in most cases, better off making a set of jumpers with insulated battery clamps to hook direct to battery and plug your panel into it, while they reckon the 2 controllers will conflict I have found they don't when the battery is low, one will shut down when near charged up and in float, usually the roof panel as it gets less sun later on..............I won't go into the whys, worked all this out in the field so know it works.

Your idea of throwing the engel in the tug would be the easiest option since it's a borrowed rig.

GoneBush

May 9, 2018
WA
.I won't go into the whys, worked all this out in the field so know it works.

Thanks Drover. dumb question, could you quickly explain where the van batteries are and best advice on where to put the blanket while charging. I have alligator clips with my blanket regulator.

concerned about leaving your expensive solar blanket on the roof
Hi Eddii, From what angle ? someone lifting it? Where we will be is reasonably isolated and low speed tracks 20 mins one way to the surf beach and 20 mins the other way to the other beach.

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
- the factory DC charger on board, will this unit process 2 solar inputs concurrently (pun ha ha) for a combined 270W if sunny? Running the Engel and topping up the battery for the dark hours.
- I would connect it via the draw bar (I’ve had built an adapter from my tow vehicle’s 7-round plus Anderson to the factory 12 pin; don’t want to enter the Anderson vs 12 pin wars, I need to run the Dometic while driving to the campsite
- the Dometic will continue to run on gas while it also sees a voltage from the draw bar ?

I’ll have a go at these..

The solar regulator should be able to take two inputs but normally it works better for panels to be matched. Best way is to work out what regulator you have and check the specs. If you are connecting two regulators to the battery (built in + external) they will often fight each other and you won’t get a good charge.

Re the fridge. Mine is wired up to pin 9/10. But my fridge when it is in auto power source mode will take 12 volt as a priority over GAS and switch over. Mostly as a safety reason as you should not use GAS when traveling. I haven’t tested if on manual mode it would stay on GAS if it had 12volt power available.

My pin 2 goes to the DC side of the new Jayco battery charger/fuse/distribution box. It essentially charges the battery and disables the slide out lounge when connected to the car.

Here are my vans wiring instructions.
https://www.brisbanecamperland.com....yco-Tow-Vehicle-Requirements-Issue-3.pdf.aspx