Changing interior lights

Jimbogan

Jan 14, 2014
Blowed if I can work out how to remove globes (incandescent) from the double interior ceiling lights in 2010 Jayco Discovery. Do I pull on the globe, or is there a trick to releasing the plastic fitting at the base of the globe? Wary of using too much force in case I break plastic fitting.

Reactions: Ashie

Ken Bennetts

Nov 1, 2013
The globe halogen globe has two wires from the bottom plugging into the white plastic base. I take a tissue get a firm hold of the globe and pull out from the base. Needs a bit of steady force sometimes. Being halogen globes they should not be touched with bare skin as it leaves body oil that will cause the globe to blow. Wiping with metho will remove oil. Hence use of tissue.

Reactions: Jimbogan

Jimbogan

Jan 14, 2014
The globe halogen globe has two wires from the bottom plugging into the white plastic base. I take a tissue get a firm hold of the globe and pull out from the base. Needs a bit of steady force sometimes. Being halogen globes they should not be touched with bare skin as it leaves body oil that will cause the globe to blow. Wiping with metho will remove oil. Hence use of tissue.
Thanks Ken. Removed fine. But now do you have hints for removing globes from the bedside lights and the over sink light. Seems like every light in the van has a different release trick!

Jimbogan

Jan 14, 2014
OK, thanks Ken. Bedside lights have 12V downlight type globes, that appear to be held in by 3 spring clips on front of globe face. Can't work out how to lever the 3 clips all at once to release, if this is in fact what has to happen. Over sink light is also a downlight type globe, but no clips evident. May have to unscrew fitting from wooden base to get at it? Maybe some other readers have some hints?

Jimbogan

Jan 14, 2014
Have a read of this post by @boots33. He has been through it all and has helped many a member.
Yes, I have followed that thread and picked up good ideas for replacing lights with LED's, but still need advice on how to remove the globes from the various fittings. Now it's the downlight type lights that have me stymied.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Hi
too many different types to advise on here, if they are under a overhead cupboard it's often easier to remove the whole light and work on it on the bench, some even need this done as the globe goes in from the back

Reactions: Jimbogan

Jimbogan

Jan 14, 2014
Hi
too many different types to advise on here, if they are under a overhead cupboard it's often easier to remove the whole light and work on it on the bench, some even need this done as the globe goes in from the back
Thanks DaveS. Tackled the over-sink light from behind, as you suggested, and had success. Removed the reading lamp bulbs from the front with aid of small screwdriver to lever spring clips. Thankfully busted nothing in the process.

Reactions: cruza driver