Central QLD to Lorella Springs Station, NT

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Hey guys,

In June/July school holidays this year we (and another family) are heading west and then to Lorella Springs Station. We are hoping to be away 3-4weeks at this stage. Between the two families there will be the four adults and six kids, aged 8 to 3.

I am looking for advice on a few things if anyone can help.

*Road Conditions between Lorella Springs and Borroloola.
*Availability and quality of fuel (both vehicles use diesel), and places to avoid.
*Availability and quality of water to fill tanks with.
*Attractions and Must-See spots along the way.

We are really looking forward to the trip as I personally have not been any further west the The Gemfields, near Emerald.:o:o:o

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
We had heard the road was quite corrugated, but that was back in September. Lorellla springs would be able to give you current road conditions.

Reactions: Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hey guys,

In June/July school holidays this year we (and another family) are heading west and then to Lorella Springs Station. We are hoping to be away 3-4weeks at this stage. Between the two families there will be the four adults and six kids, aged 8 to 3.

I am looking for advice on a few things if anyone can help.

*Road Conditions between Lorella Springs and Borroloola.
*Availability and quality of fuel (both vehicles use diesel), and places to avoid.
*Availability and quality of water to fill tanks with.
*Attractions and Must-See spots along the way.

We are really looking forward to the trip as I personally have not been any further west the The Gemfields, near Emerald.:o:o:o

Personally, I'd avoid Borroloola! I hated the place when we went through early 2000 but, hopefully, it's improved.

(It was filthy, full of drunks and the only real activity was the wagon driving around gathering the drunks.)

I try not to prejudice others but it was one of the worse places I've ever seen and that includes Halls Creek and the riots there when they burned down the shell servo and tried to torch the police station.

Good luck with the planning....I'd strongly suggest you look for free camps ....there are lots listed in Wikicamps....and just use places like Borroloola for food and fuel stops.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Haven't been on the Savanah Way for about 9 years. NT roads are always far better than Qld ones from my experience. But you can never tell with the gravel roads. It always depends on how long since they last sent a grader through. The roads could be shocking today and next week they could be great. All that means is you have to slow down more unless you can find the sweet spot on corrugations for your setup.

@Hubble80 Make sure you post a rundown of Lorella Springs Station after your trip, it looks pretty good by their website.

Reactions: bigcol and Hubble80