Interior Cassette Toilet Flush

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
I have a Jayco Journey 17.55.8 where the cassette toilet doesn't have a separate flush tank, it gets the water directly from the tanks. When I have been staying in caravan parks and connected to mains water I have had near empty tanks. ( At the moment I carry other containers with drinking water). My question is, does the water for the flush come from the tanks or from the mains. Whenever we flush the water pump starts so I am confused as the where the water comes from.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
My handover dude told me it always comes from the tanks, and thats why the pump always works for the toilet, whether the pump is turned on or not ..... but he did bugger up a lot of the info

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
My handover dude told me it always comes from the tanks, and thats why the pump always works for the toilet, whether the pump is turned on or not ..... but he did bugger up a lot of the info
That's the way ours works. Empty tanks = no flush.

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
My favourite subject (not) for those who have instant recall of a previous post about my crap-o-phobia and aversion to put my botty on Thetford's finest. Have not given the lavvy flush water much of a thought really, as I am still reticent to use the thing unless i am totally busting, or is a major monsoon and rain is persisting in the horizontal plane and/or it is pitch black outside. Being virtually only caravan park people thus far and having done very little free camping, our water tanks stay as dry as the proverbial nun's nasty most of the time, so unless a prestidigitator in top hat accompanied by "the lovely Rita" is waving a magic wand that instantly converts fresh air to aqua vita on demand, then i can confirm that our 'van's hole in the floor is connected to the mains. It must, however, come through the water pump as it always goes "ticketyboo" (naval speak for comforting engine noises)and wakes me up when she gets up in the middle of the night (several times)and staggers bleary eyed to the end of the 'van in the eerie incandescent haze of those blue lights that are supposed to not wake you in the first place.

Oh, and for those still interested - we are still a poo-free zone unless she is fibbing to me, but as she is the one who empties the lavvy cassette who am i to complain if she has slipped out a small one out of either devilment or by design?

Last edited:

John C

Jun 25, 2017
Dayboro
Hi Crusty181 - I have been wondering why the toilet flush on my 2013 Expanda 14.4.4.5 will only work when the 12V pump switch is in the ON position (even when connected to mains water). After making some enquiries, I found that like your van, the toilet flush draws its water from the on-board water tanks only; i.e. it apparently cannot draw water from mains supply. The difference with my van however is that the 12V pump switch must be turned on before the flush function will work, in contrast to your van, where as you say, the flush works "whether the pump is turned on or not". So you're saying that the pump switch can be left on the OFF position when flushing, and the pump still kicks in? If that's the case, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my van. Alternatively, your van might have an upgrade over mine. John

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi Crusty181 - I have been wondering why the toilet flush on my 2013 Expanda 14.4.4.5 will only work when the 12V pump switch is in the ON position (even when connected to mains water). After making some enquiries, I found that like your van, the toilet flush draws its water from the on-board water tanks only; i.e. it apparently cannot draw water from mains supply. The difference with my van however is that the 12V pump switch must be turned on before the flush function will work, in contrast to your van, where as you say, the flush works "whether the pump is turned on or not". So you're saying that the pump switch can be left on the OFF position when flushing, and the pump still kicks in? If that's the case, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my van. Alternatively, your van might have an upgrade over mine. John
Hey @John C, welcome to the forum. That post was a while back now, but from memory that's right and Ill double check today. I would suspect that its simply the toilet independently connected to the pump, and not through the vans 12v switch. I have a Drifter control panel which may have some bearing. Also our van is 20ft with the toilet in the extreme rear road side corner and the Drifter (and 12v switch) in the extreme front kerb side corner so it may just be a matter of wiring logistics directly wiring the toilet to the pump.

A product design option could be just plumbing the toilet as part of the vans general plumbing and the flush button simply opening a solenoid. I would have guessed they avoid that because someone would end up on the toilet, and the battery switch off; but that's what you have anyway

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm not sure if this applies to the new Jaycos but our new van has a Thetford (orange trim) cassette and no separate flush tank. Water is taken from the tanks, whether connected to mains or not....or whether pump is turned on.

It also has no wheels in the cassette and is smaller (compared to the green trimmed, larger cassette with wheels we had in the Jayco)

Maybe it's the different models of Thetford cassette that cause the difference.

Oh....the toilet itself swivels as well. A bit disconcerting but not a real bummer.

Reactions: 1DayIll

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Depends on the model whether it draws from main tanks via water pump/mains connection or it's own holding tank with pump..............one thing I do know if the plate holding the seal in position falls to pieces while your replacing with a new seal the damn thing costs a flamin fortune on a orange thunder can, $84................not allowed to resurrect the old bush thunder box....milk crate with seat on top, shovel with roll of 4x4 on handle.

Reactions: Frog

Frog

May 13, 2017
Kuttabul
Depends on the model whether it draws from main tanks via water pump/mains connection or it's own holding tank with pump..............one thing I do know if the plate holding the seal in position falls to pieces while your replacing with a new seal the damn thing costs a flamin fortune on a orange thunder can, $84................not allowed to resurrect the old bush thunder box....milk crate with seat on top, shovel with roll of 4x4 on handle.
I was amazed on our first weekend in our van, our family in their camper trailers complete with "Thunder Down Under " buckets and camp showers laughed at our "Flash Ensuite ". But surprise! Guess how many lined up to use it, had to empty the cassette Saturday afternoon and went through both tanks of water. I'm thinking of putting a towbar on the van and towing the box trailer with a couple of 1000 litre water pods in it for the Christmas break.