16' Series Carefree awning

MarkAW

Jan 25, 2017
Point Cook
Hi folks,
We have a 2017 16.49.4. Just wondering, does everyone's awning make a rattling noise?
It seems to come from the cassette itself. You can hear it rattle even if someone walks around inside the van.
Jayco said its normal....i'm not sure?
Cheers

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Is that with the awning extended ??
You can get a rattle if the arms aren't done up properly.........pull out awning, when putting upper arms in position push against barrel to get tension on the arm before tightening lock nut and make sure you flip lever to locked position, awning should be nice and taught, not loose...usually rattles come from the arms, barrel shouldn't rattle..

If in the housed position it should be firmly against the upper tabs and the arms knobs tightened, at $25 or more a lock knob it always pays to double check.

Thats with a Carefree unit...................

Reactions: Delano

MarkAW

Jan 25, 2017
Point Cook
Is that with the awning extended ??
You can get a rattle if the arms aren't done up properly.........pull out awning, when putting upper arms in position push against barrel to get tension on the arm before tightening lock nut and make sure you flip lever to locked position, awning should be nice and taught, not loose...usually rattles come from the arms, barrel shouldn't rattle..

If in the housed position it should be firmly against the upper tabs and the arms knobs tightened, at $25 or more a lock knob it always pays to double check.

Thats with a Carefree unit...................
It’s a Carefree awning and definitely comes from the cassette when extended. Haven’t checked when rolled up so will do that tonight

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have had 3 of them and no rattles from the barrell of the awning, have DIY replacement of the whole thing once after a hail storm so am familiar with them, does sound like something has broken inside the barrel which is where the spring and locking levers live..........All I can think of is that it hasn't been fitted properly in the beginning and when extended there is little tension on the spring which in turn could cause the bits to rattle, ( edit; nope that wouldn't be right i think ) otherwise part of the spring set up could be broken, can still work but there's a loose bit.............................sorry I can't help any more but sounds like a hands on thing to diagnose........it is not normal to rattle though.

Last edited:

MarkAW

Jan 25, 2017
Point Cook
I have had 3 of them and no rattles from the barrell of the awning, have DIY replacement of the whole thing once after a hail storm so am familiar with them, does sound like something has broken inside the barrel which is where the spring and locking levers live..........All I can think of is that it hasn't been fitted properly in the beginning and when extended there is little tension on the spring which in turn could cause the bits to rattle, ( edit; nope that wouldn't be right i think ) otherwise part of the spring set up could be broken, can still work but there's a loose bit.............................sorry I can't help any more but sounds like a hands on thing to diagnose........it is not normal to rattle though.
Thanks Drover, will call Jayco to discuss warranty on the awning

Reactions: Drover