16' Series Carefree Awning problem with Anti-flap kit

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Hi all,
On the last two trips we have had a problem with the anti-flap kit on the awning towards the back of the van. Unfortunately I do not have pictures of the original problem but I think I have pictures of the course of the problem.

The problem is that the rear anti-flap kit does not clamp onto the awning all the way and the last 30-40 cm of the awning is continuously coming out of the anti-flap kit.

The awning / annex has been set up a number of times with no problems, but the last 2 times this has been a problem.

So I have checked a couple of things and the issue seems to be that the awning size has changed from the top (caravan end) to the roller end by about 2-3cm. The awning width is smaller at the roller end.

I have included 4 pictures showing that the awning width at the caravan end matches the mounting points for the anti-flap kits (both front and back seem to mount the same (and close to the line of the awning); However at the roller end the front mounting hole is correctly but the back seems to not match the current width of the awning.

awning_front_roller.JPG awning_back_roller.JPG
awning_front_top.JPG awning_back_top.JPG

Some my conclusion is that the awning has shrunk or gathered at the awning end. Is this the right conclusion?

The important thing of course (which I am not sure of) is how do I fix it? I do not want to change the location of the mounting hole. I am hoping that someone may be able to tell me how to loosen the awning on the roller, then allow me to stretch it back out and then tighten it back up on the roller so that it stays in the correct location.

Any suggestion, hints, discussion would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Certainly looks like the awning has shrunk, I think the easiest solution would be to drill another hole 20mm or so to the right on the top right pic but see what others say before pulling the drill out.
Cheers Matt.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
My awnings have always been screwed into the roller. You van end seems spot on, just the roller holes seem out. I wonder if you can stretch it back on a warm day and secure/screw it. I would give carefree a call. Probably really common.

Or if your awning is screwed into the roller end and you can see it hasn't moved then you might have to drill new holes.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Thanks Matt, Looking at that as the last option as I do not want to make it ugly with multiple holes drilled in the roller.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
@macca I did a little more searching and found that people did say that they shrink (the awning fabric of course). Unfortunately most people did do the new hole approach. I will try and contact Carefree and see if they have any suggestions on how to stretch and then fix. I am not keen to pull it apart and have the roller end up in pieces without being able to put it back together. Thanks for the advice.

Jeremy7086

Jun 25, 2014
We had the same problem on our van. But on our latest van we had the holes drilled in the cylinder so that the awning partly wrapped around in the end anti flap arm. Before some week ago we had to re- drill the holes at each end, it does look a bit messy though.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Thanks @Jeremy7086 I still need to contact carefree but looks like a drilling session coming on. It would be nice to have a slot with an adjustment that slides and locks so that it can be positioned exactly as required.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Sitting with a mate outside his van, up far end of Currumbin Valley on Saturday watching the wind moving the tree tops around while we sheltered in the valley. A sudden gust of wind and his awning is up over the top of his van with on arm broken at the top and the other just holding. Not a happy man. >:(