Interior Carbon monoxide in boot from HWS

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I a little while ago I bought an lpg detector and carbon monoxide (CO) detector (I posted a review back then) and installed. I started the suburban HWS on gas for the first time in ages and the CO went ballistic. There was a strong smell of burnt gas in the bedside cupboard (starcraft ob 19) which is directly over the tunnel boot, which contains the hws.
Seeing we are in the middle of nowhere I removed the hws tin door and surround to discover no sealant on the inner face and a strong draft when the wind is blowing on that side (and it sure is blowing here just north of coral bay WA). I sealed up the join and any other gaps I could find and restarted the hws to discover it was no better!

So now I need some inspiration on what the problem is. Some things I have tried: confirmed the hws only vents to the outside (through the door) with much silicon, temporarily taped up the boot door on that side to see if the exhaust gas is being forced in by the wind (much better), opened both boot doors to allow air through the boot (much worse)

Is it just how we are positioned to the wind or something more obvious?

Eddie

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You may find that the seal around the gas line is useless also, thats the one where the line goes from inside to the outside section, open the door and it's on the left, my last 2 vans both would let water in so a squirt of silastic fixed it.
On my 14 I removed the door and outer facia and resealed the whole lot to stop water leaks.. think I put a description on my 14.44.3 thread but the burner section should be completely sealed from inside and vent direct to external.

I have had to close windows sometimes as the alarm will go off.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
You may find that the seal around the gas line is useless also.

Thanks, I checked that and it is ok but I did discover the hot supply pipe was not sealed through the floor (but they did put the grommet on the pipe for me to fit properly...) and will sort that next. The wind shifted last night and there was no smell so I guess the window/ boot door are chief suspects.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@jazzeddie1234,

As soon as you get the chance, I would get everything sealed up and get the HWS checked with an accurate gas detection meter via a licensed plumber and not just rely on the CO detector you have in the caravan. Having just completed the Monitoring Hazardous Atmospheres course for the new Country Fire Authority gas detectors and understanding the new acceptable levels for Carbon Monoxide of 9 parts per million (previously 30 parts per million), I realise how little CO is required to become toxic. CO is not heavy like LPG - it weights 97% that of oxygen, so will mix with air throughout your caravan easily.

The key issue here is that CO is a respiratory asphyxiant and it can end in tragic results. It is a silent killer.

Good luck and stay safe.

Regards,

Rohan

Last edited: