Caravan covers

rtcammo

May 20, 2012
Does anyone have any tips on fitting caravan covers to a 17/18' van? Any tips appreciated!

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
I usually put it on the roof & roll it out from there, I use a ladder but can get it done myself in about 10 minutes. I try to roll it up the same way each time so I knw where to put it on the roof firstly.

It gets easier with practice. :biggrin:

Reactions: rtcammo

rtcammo

May 20, 2012
Thanks BG. How do you go climbing a ladder with the cover rolled up? Bit heavy and awkward isn't it? Im assuming to get it off, you just slide it off the van, then roll it up on the ground?

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Yep, we clean it off & roll it on the ground, as far as getting on the roof I climb 1-2 rungs on the ladder and then throw it up!

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hey BG, what brand of cover and how much did you pay for it? Is it good for you? We saw some Maxi covers for $200 on eBay delivered.
Cheers Deano

Feb 1, 2012
We put ours on for the first time today. We rolled it out and the one on each side we used tent poles to carry it over the van.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Ours is a prestige, I negotiated it into the deal with the caravan so I can't be too sure about the price sorry.

It has held up well apart from recently when my 12 month old blue healer ate the 4 straps that holds both sides together and then the little darling ate the bottom off the zippers.

To conclude the cover can wether torrential rain, frost, extreme heat and wind BUT is it blue heeler proof NO! :frusty:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Some good ideas here, i was going to get a cover, now i have a few ideas how to get it on, thanks all:tea:

rtcammo

May 20, 2012
Thanks for the great tips guys. I have a Prestige cover which was negotiated with the van. The price sticker is still on the box - $430. $200 sounds pretty good, especially delivered.

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
We bought a relatively cheap cover (around $2-300) a couple of years ago, but found it went to pieces in the sun. It was made from that breathable non woven fabric. Needed a step ladder to get it up and then pulled it as needed.
One problem we found was it got caught on a couple of the corners of the top, and tore easily. Put me off cheap covers and as our grandson as just rented a place for 2 years with a 9x9 mtr shed we can store it there. After that I'd probably get a lightweight canvas one which could cope with the weather.

Incidentally, while it was covered, the front vertical edges of the van went yellow in places. Don't know if it was the cover(grey0 or just sunshine which did that. Haven't been able to clean it us, even with proper fibreglass rerstorer.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I got one of the prestige type ones - a pop top version for 16-18'. Its too small. I should've got the full van type rather than pop top - the bottom of the cover doesn't reach the bottom of the van :(