16' Series Can't get power from battery.

Gazza1

Aug 6, 2015
Victoria
Hi all. Hopefully someone can help me. I have a 2014 expanda 16:49-1 onroad. I have had no need for a battery until now, so I went and bought one and placed it into position under the seat adjacent to the setec unit where there is already 2 wires for it. I turned the battery switch next to the sink to the on position and turned off the 240v mains. I have no power to anything from the battery, even the setec unit battery indicator light will not illuminate. I have changed the fuse in the setec unit and the inline fuse holder on the positive wire to thebattery. I don't know what else it could be.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
just a thought (I know next to nothing about your problem) but

have you tried the switch the other way??????

it may have been wired (the switch) the wrong way around............

Reactions: dagree

Gazza1

Aug 6, 2015
Victoria
Thanks Bigcol, I have tried all possible combinations.
After some extensive searching tonight I believe there is meant to be a positive and negative wire from the setec unit directly to the battery and the existing wires go from the battery to the switch. Once I hook that up I should have it sorted.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Another thing to check (If you haven't already) is to see if the cables from the battery are connected to the setec unit! If they are and you handy with a multimeter check the voltages of the battery, where the cables connect, at the battery switch etc. Before you do this and any other checks.... Make sure you disconnect the 240V power to the van.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here that will no doubt give you more ideas to try.

And by the way.... Welcome to the forum @Gazza1 !!

PS: To get to the setec connections can be a bit tricky if you are not familiar with them.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It may be like mine and wiring at the switch wasn't connected and a few spade fittings were poorly crimped.
Battery might be flat.
As said above disconnect 240 first then with multi meter work your way from the battery to the setek .

Youv'e come to the right place for friendly info and mindless banter as well.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Gazza1 and welcome to the forum. It cant be too far out out of warranty, and if you havent modified anything and (un-beknown to you) its likely not worked from new, the dealer should sort that for you.

Gazza1

Aug 6, 2015
Victoria
Thanks to everyone for the advice (and banter). The dealer had misinformed me at the time of delivery, stating all I needed to do is place the battery in position and connect the 2 wires, flick the battery switch and away she goes. This is not the case, I have had to remove the setec unit and run a positive and negative wire from the Batt+ and Batt- connectors to the battery and connect the 2 existing wires which go to the battery switch (not directly though). As from the advice above I made sure the van was disconnected from the 240v mains. I realised this had to be done by searching this site and looking at peoples photos, noticing there were 4 wires from everyone's batteries, I worked from there testing everything as I went with a multi-meter. Luckily I have a very extensive collection of tools and materials from years of playing with cars,bikes,boats,caravans,R/C toys,kids electronics,etc.etc.etc.etc.
Once I gained the knowledge (from this site) the rest was easy.
great site. I will have to post some mods I've done.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Check that there is a fuse in the inline fuse holder (if fitted) near the battery. Jayco usually don't fit the fuse if no battery is installed. should be 20a for st20 30a for st35

The wiring can still go through the switch on series 3 units it will work the same as the earlier types. on the series 3 setecs you also have the option of fitting a switch to the battery isolation circuit as well

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well @Gazza1 it sounds like you will fit in well here and are prepared for some great mods, look forward to them and as @bigcol would say, No pics ? It didn't happen !
I would be going over all my 12v connections, I had to redo many of mine due to poor fitting, actually bloody horrible a blind one armed submariner could have done better.

thinking ..... thinking. I got nothing ;)

I didn't give you a lead in, can't think of one either............................

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I will have to post some mods I've done.

yes, indeed you will. :)

Ditto to what @Crusty181 said!!!

yeppers :biggrin:
double ditto for me as well

and

pictures yoda.jpg

hehehehehehehehe