Exterior Camping washing line - repair

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
There’s money to be made with them that’s for sure. It’s kind of like when CD and DVD burner came out. I can recall people charging $10 a disc and up. I look on eBay for 3D printed parts others are selling and think wow that’s not even your design. It uses less than $3 in plastic and they’re selling the print for $35 plus $10 for postage.

For me, and this only become a thought after getting one is thereabouts so many things I could Goto the shop and buy. Yet isn make them myself out of wood.

For example and it’s really simple. Swmbo wants shelves in the cupboard of the expanda. Rather than buy angle brackets or make the them out of wood I download a design and print them out. Took less than 10 minutes to print four of them which I is less time than it would take me to even get to the big green shed. Let alone get the saw out and make simple blocks of wood. The added bonus being they look the part lol

Happy to print and send if anyone wants to cover the costs of postage and the plastic used. Maybe even some beer money :)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
There’s money to be made with them that’s for sure. It’s kind of like when CD and DVD burner came out. I can recall people charging $10 a disc and up. I look on eBay for 3D printed parts others are selling and think wow that’s not even your design. It uses less than $3 in plastic and they’re selling the print for $35 plus $10 for postage.

For me, and this only become a thought after getting one is thereabouts so many things I could Goto the shop and buy. Yet isn make them myself out of wood.

For example and it’s really simple. Swmbo wants shelves in the cupboard of the expanda. Rather than buy angle brackets or make the them out of wood I download a design and print them out. Took less than 10 minutes to print four of them which I is less time than it would take me to even get to the big green shed. Let alone get the saw out and make simple blocks of wood. The added bonus being they look the part lol

Happy to print and send if anyone wants to cover the costs of postage and the plastic used. Maybe even some beer money :)
I know exactly what your saying. My satellite dish has been vibrated and beaten within an inch of its life, and its been cable tied, jury rigged, welded and repaired many times. Its now at a point where Im confident it can survive anything. Its not very pretty and Im reluctant to replace it .... but the damn plastic LNB holder has crapped out. Ive searched the entire world for one, including emailing manufacturers in Europe and Asia etc which are all gambles because I cant be sure they are ever the exact dimensions until I get it. The price of anything local is ridiculously priced extortion, one idiot wanting $1 less than a new entire dish. Ireland was the best option but the quoted freight could have included a small car.

I suspect there is a massive untapped low volume to order market, which isnt being tapped and can never really be filled by volume suppliers. Like the emerging trend of services being provided by a "community" via a central agent, an opportunity exists for this to be another one. Youll have to get in early because like the design and programming "communities" the cheap 3rd world will flood it.

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
I know exactly what your saying. My satellite dish has been vibrated and beaten within an inch of its life, and its been cable tied, jury rigged, welded and repaired many times. Its now at a point where Im confident it can survive anything. Its not very pretty and Im reluctant to replace it .... but the damn plastic LNB holder has crapped out. Ive searched the entire world for one, including emailing manufacturers in Europe and Asia etc which are all gambles because I cant be sure they are ever the exact dimensions until I get it. The price of anything local is ridiculously priced extortion, one idiot wanting $1 less than a new entire dish. Ireland was the best option but the quoted freight could have included a small car.

I suspect there is a massive untapped low volume to order market, which isnt being tapped and can never really be filled by volume suppliers. Like the emerging trend of services being provided by a "community" via a central agent, an opportunity exists for this to be another one. Youll have to get in early because like the design and programming "communities" the cheap 3rd world will flood it.

Just text you about it assuming you haven't changed numbers since we spoke last.

The tip in Geelong on duro Street used to have entire dishes with lnb and mounts for twenty bucks.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just had a look at LNB holders at some of the places I buy stuff, the damn things are more expensive than the LNB itself, might start collecting a few ......

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Just had a look at LNB holders at some of the places I buy stuff, the damn things are more expensive than the LNB itself, might start collecting a few ......
Its nuts, and its another example of our culture of insatiable greed. I found a LNB holder in Ireland (new) for $12 retail, but the freight was horrendous. Contacted the manufacturer of that part in Denmark and they referred me to a wholesaler in NZ ... he in turn referred me to a retailer here in Melb where the price became almost $40 along with a sad story of supply chain costs and other rubbish. A local satellite parts supplier I pass every day sells complete dishes for $35 (but not the LNB holder to suit my dish)

Another quick story of our culture of insatiable greed, and although I name the store they are not Robinson Crusoe here, its a wide spread attitude that has had far reaching consequences, and there is much more pain for us to come. In Darwin I found my Caframo 747 12v fans at BTC Parts and Accessories for $130 individually, and I wanted 2 of them. I also found them on Ebay in Brisbane for 2 units delivered to me in Darwin for $167. I was in Darwin for 2 weeks anyway so postage time wasn't an issue, and the online supplier was in Brisbane Aust (not Brisbane Bangladesh). I returned to BTC asked them for a price somewhere between their $260 and my Ebay $167, and initially left the compromise point in their court. I had a figure of half way in mind that I was happy with.

No way, Hose`. Thats the price, take it or leave it. Really? I asked; even after being found to be price gouging, you'd still prefer to loose the sale completely send someone back into the world loudly sprouting what thieves BTC are, than reduce the already reasonable profit to $60 (with postage) more than the Brisbane guy who I'm sure isnt selling to the world at a loss. Nope, and no correspondence will be entered into. Then out come my most favourite old chestnut, "Theres not much in those for us, I cant even buy them for that price mate" ... yes you can idiot, I can put you in contact with my best man in Brisbane, how many do you want??

Good luck with that attitude, knuckle heads. If you don't yet know why Ebay, Gumtree, Amazon, Alibaba etc etc are as big as they are .... re-read your business plan and then look in the mirror.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
could be worse, I was on holidays recently and they wanted to charge me to cut up the chicken at the chicken shop. Her argument, Full chicken $13.00, 1/4 Chicken $5. so if I wanted it in 4 x 1/4 you can work it out!
Needless to say, i did not get it cut and she said it was up to me as they were not worried at all. :o

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I had a look in my shed, I have a round arm one, my square one's I found I used one on my shed dish and the other one I found the hinge bit was breaking so no luck there will have a squizie next time at tip.

That mob does have others but need to ring.

Reactions: Crusty181