Buzzing noise from fridge

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had there fridge making a buzzing noise when plugged into there vehicle to power it when travelling.
Issue started yesterday when i hooked the car up for the first time with power to check the fridge operation for outr trip away. No power to fridge. The van had been fitted with an LED conversion box to compensate for the lower power draw of the lights so i by-passed it. Fridge light came on along with aloud buzzing noise from the fridge.
I checked the plug from the LED box and found the AUX wire cut hence no power through box. Repaired wire and reconnected. Fridge light on and buzzing noise. Figured this this must have been the reason the wire was cut and removed in the first place.
Rang fridge manufacture who informed me that the buzzing noise was due to low voltage at the element +ve wire on top of the fridge and to check it. So off i went and sure enough the voltage was flickering between 0.5v & 1.0v.
I then pulled the bottom vent off and had a good look around. Found 2 thick wires and proceeded to pull one apart. Buzzing noise gone, reconnected noise back. As the wire i disconnected was the white wire i checked it for power as it was connected to the red + fridge wire, nothing. Checked for resistance to the chassis and got a reading. Then checked the black wire and found it live.

So in short the +ve wire coming from the wiring at the vehicle had been wired to the -ve side of the fridge & the caravan earth was connected to the positive side of the fridge. Now that wires have been changed around the fridge works fine.

As the van is only 2 years old and the wiring (connectors) all look the same as all the the other ones i am guessing the owners must have thought that the LED module was the cause and never worried about going any further with it. But from what i can tell it's been like it since day dot. Lucky it didnt burn something out or down.

i have since found other wiring in the van when fittinh the stero to have the white wire as +ve instead of the black wire being +ve.

just thought someone might benifite from if they have the same issue ir to keep an eye out for wire colouring , its not always as it seems.

Cheers

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
thanks electricguru,
Spoke to Jayco today and they tell me the wiring has now been changed so that the +ve wire is now going to be red. Dont know if this will fix the problem of crossing wires or not but one can only hope.