Starcraft Buying a Starcraft 17.58-3 OB. Advice on items for final setup.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Not sure what our best option is regarding wiring. 12 pin adaptor for caravan which can run fridge too, anderson for ESC or 12 pin for caravan, anderson for fridge with switch so we can control when it it on/off and another anderson for ESC? Jayco sent me their 12-pin wiring diagram if we decide to take to our own auto electrician (attached below). I see the 12-pin plugs themselves are pretty cheap to buy and possibly take to our own autoelec.

We have a redarc tow-pro electric brake controller. Would that be currently wired into the 7-pin adaptor to then moved into the 12-pin adaptor when we change it over?

when we had to use SWMBO's Cruiser once, I had to make an adapter for the Large 7 pin (on her car) as well as the Anderson, to power the fridge

7pin 12 pin A.jpg

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Lots of people are recommending the clearview mirrors, so it sounds like a great choice, a bit pricey and have to permanently install them but I will strongly consider. I would prefer to leave my stock mirrors on thought.

I might just try the above mirrors first (as I am keen to keep my original mirrors on the car) and can always upgrade later.

as stated, I put the Clearviews on, and I still have the old mirrors to put back on if I ever sell my beastie

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We would like the fridge powered whilst we are driving, possibly when stopped too (maybe with a switch) so it can be still running if we stop.
@Jared01 I installed a Projecta Low Voltage Cutout Device... Set to disconnect the auxilliary battery when it gets down to 10.5V (Haven't actually stopped long enough for it to disconnect as yet (To my knowledge!)

Low Voltage Cutout 002.jpg

Had a relay setup on our previous vehicle but this worked out a cheaper option when taking installation time into consideration (Less beers too :very_drunk: )

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I put the Clearviews on, and I still have the old mirrors to put back on if I ever sell my beastie
Same here....
I was a bit doubtful leaving the "Dumbo Ears" on the Prado full time due to the size of them but once used to them I wouldn't go back to the originals. Now I hate getting out of the Prado and jumping into the commodore with the tiny mirrors 8-)

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
I'm thinking about buying the third or second coupling lock below if anyone has one and can comment?

Also thinking about buying thick chain to chain the wheels together (and install rim wheel nut locks) and so far the thickest chain I can find is 24mm at $55 per m.

Anyone know where I can even more heavy duty chain or should I just go for wheel clamps?

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=138&item=91171&intAbsolutePage=1

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=138&item=91169&intAbsolutePage=

http://www.purpleline.com.au/products-saracen-aus.php

Also getting local auto electrician to change 7-pin plug to 12-pin plug as per Jayco wiring diagram and supply and install Redarc towpro elite as my older towpro is apparently not compatible with the ALKO ESC.

MickL

Feb 28, 2016
SA
I have the coupling in your last link and they are a great bit of gear. I can't see how someone could remove it without also taking your hitch or making a serious mess with an angle grinder.

Reactions: Pauly

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
I have the coupling in your last link and they are a great bit of gear. I can't see how someone could remove it without also taking your hitch or making a serious mess with an angle grinder.

That's for the feedback. It's a winner so far with me too

Last edited:
Reactions: Pauly

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013

I second that!! The purpleline locks are a great bit of gear. I have one on the boat trailer and one for the van we carry with us. They standout like anything so I figure would be a good deterrent from a distance also . They have one that can be used whilst hooked up to vehicle too.

The second one also looks pretty good though too.

The first ..... Well all I'll say is that's what my folks use and lost the key for it once when their van was stored at my place , I had it off in no time with just about no noise . Pry bars lever perfectly on the uprights.

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Hey @Jared01 congrats on the purchase, the 17.58 is a great match with the Pajero, you will be very happy campers.

The dealer should be able to do a 7 pin and Anderson plug ours was more than happy to change the van from 12 to 7 for us and an Anderson on the fridge wires if I wanted.

I've been with NRMA for over 30yrs, and have multiple policies with them, CIL was nearly half price with better extras, so enough said.

I decided against the Jayco TV and bracket and bought a 26" combo dvd one from JB HIFI for $199, and like 17Triton can move it to wherever we want, top of fridge, outside picnic table etc, and it just lays on the main bed when travelling and hasn't moved yet.

As for mirrors I use Milenco Grand Aero 3's and they seem fine, they way out perform the price and will still allow the mirrors to fold in when parked and I dont have to run wide load signs on the car when not towing or get called dumbo.........................................lol

Dealer should have a starters pack with hoses and leads etc, otherwise the big green shed should help.

Clark Rubber if you have one close will sort your bed converter needs for cut to measured foam and again the big green shed for a piece of ply.

As for parking on the street, a good hitch lock, chains through the wheels and suspension arms and a big GPS tracker inside sticker should be enough to slow them up and think twice.

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Thanks for all the feedback!

I got a quote from the local auto electrician to change our 7-pin plug to 12-pin (leave the already existing anderson plug in place too) as well as upgrade the electronic brakes from Redarc Tow pro to the Tow Pro Elite for $450. I am happy with that price. I came across a bulletin on the ALKO website which showed that earlier models are not compatible with the ALKO ESC. I phoned Redarc who said it will be compatible if we install a resisted between 2 wires on the ALKO but Jayco believe it is not. Just going to upgrade the ESC anyway which has the new automatic braking adjustment so all good.

I will most likely order the 3rd hitch lock from my earlier post. Seems good. Don't think I can use it when towing with a Hayman Reese WDH which my Dad is kindly going to donate to me from his caravan days thought but all good.

ATM, will probably buy the 24mm chain I found earlier from a boat anchor place in Western Sydney and get them to cut it to size and then get some good locks.

Will probably lock both wheels/sides of the caravan for extra security.

Went to Aldi on a Caravan accessory shopping spree today.
(
Bought the 16-18' cover, 2 wheel levelling ramps, step, 12 volt fan. water drain hose and compact cookware set (someone already donating fresh water hose). Fan seems great and cookware seems good too upon opening and inspection (looked at the Greblon website and sounds promising). Thinking about buying another fan for other end of van for those hot nights (which we experienced recently when camping).

I believe CIL does not have an online quote system from my last check, so I will have to call them for a price and see if they are cheaper than NRMA at $900 odd from memory.

Found a place in Sydney which sounds like can cut foam to size (as an option to Clark Rubber which I will try too). This place appears to use Dunlop foam too which I believe Jayco uses too. Will let you know how I go either way when bed mod complete. https://www.thefoambooth.com.au/our-services/custom-cutting/

Looking forward to getting the van!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
What time were you at Aldi? I didn't see you there!

I bought two fans for that very reason and the squarish food storage containers. There were lots of caravan people there at 8.30 and the pallets of specials goung quickly.

As a matter of interest the adaptor I had to get for my sullage hose for the new van cost more than Aldi were selling the entire hose and end bits.

Reactions: dagree and Delano

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
We were there with all 3 kids about 5 mins before opening. All of the caravan parts were overflowing in the trolley!

Most of the other ppl lining up also went for the caravan stuff.

Wife thinks 1 fan is enough. I don't think so, so will probably buy another.

Grey water pipe looks good. Hope it fits the van (don't know what the outlets look like yet). Pretty sure it will though as it is probably standard.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I had a quick look at the sullage ...only because I was somewhat peeved at the cost of the reducer we had to get the other day.

I think it'll fit the Jayco outlet, if they're still the same.

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
We picked up our Starcraft 2 weeks ago and have been on 2 trip so far.

Was too busy with the van to post earlier!

Below are some photos.

Seems to tow along nicely with the Pajero. I put 20PSI in the rear airbags, will try 25PSI next time and will also try the WDH to see how much better the ride is.

List grew of things to get such as hose bags, perhaps awning side or front shade, block of wood to put under jockey wheel, cut 20m sullage hose in half, brass fittings for water hose, sort out mattress for table bed.....

Attachments

• 20170302_111852.jpg
    20170302_111852.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 20170302_111921.jpg
    20170302_111921.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 241
  • 20170311_091851.jpg
    20170311_091851.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 265
  • 20170311_091905.jpg
    20170311_091905.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 282

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
I would like some advice with the following questions;

- My Mitsubishi Pajero has a 7 pin plug, not the 12 pin Jayco plug. What are my options to make it work. Should I get Jayco's auto elec to install 12 pin plug? They said they will not use Anderson plug which I already have installed at tow bar. Would an adapter work otherwise
- I'm after some recommendations for a coupling lock and or wheel lock. I have to park it on the street.
- I got a quote from NRMA for insurance. Will check CIL too. Any particular companies stand out? According to CIL website, there is an extra 10% off premium if have ALKO ESC installed
- Regarding bed sheets and dooners, will double bed and single bed sizes fit the relevant beds properly?
- Has anyone sourced their own foam/mattress to make the table a bed? Jayco want >$500 for the bed kit (piece of foam). If so where did you get it from
- Any recommendations for decent towing mirrors?
- I see Aldi has their annual Caravan sale coming up. What do I need to buy such as fresh water hose, waste water hose, 15 amp power lead, step, 17' caravan cover etc etc?

I want to get things sorted out so we can use it the weekend we receive delivery. Anything else I need to get and sort out?

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

- I would get the 12 pin plug from jayco.
- We bought an orange coupling lock from jayco, it covers the entire hitch and has a locking bolt that goes through it can not be tampered with.
- Our insurance is with RACV - lifetime payout of the price we paid for the van. ie no depreciation. We get what we paid for it if it is stolen etc.
- Clearview mirrors are worth every cent. They are absolutely brilliant.
- Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch is highly recommended.

- And lastly just get out there and use it.

Geoffury150

Jun 25, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Hello all,

Hoping for some info, I have stalked and searched but haven't seen it yet.

Has anyone with a 17.58-3 been able to get a payload or ATM increase when ordering new?

From the ones I have seen with it, they all have 19' and longer caravans.
Thank you in advance

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Hello all,

Hoping for some info, I have stalked and searched but haven't seen it yet.

Has anyone with a 17.58-3 been able to get a payload or ATM increase when ordering new?

From the ones I have seen with it, they all have 19' and longer caravans.
Thank you in advance
I asked for a 600kg payload as @achjimmy had previously but all they would give me was 525kg but guess it's better than the 475kg that is standard. I heard recently that they aren't doing any increases but not sure how true that is?

Geoffury150

Jun 25, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I asked for a 600kg payload as @achjimmy had previously but all they would give me was 525kg but guess it's better than the 475kg that is standard. I heard recently that they aren't doing any increases but not sure how true that is?

Thanks Achjimmy, I pushed for it, and have it on the contract, so hopefully it will happen.
Expecting phone call Tuesday with confirmation and drawings to confirm.