Bushie's New Shak (SOLD)

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
We have a 100l tank for showers toilet etc. and a 60l tank for drinking water, we also carry some spare water jerry's in our tow and even have a 12V pump for collecting shower water from creeks etc. We have considered adding another water tank, but after checking weights of van have decided to stick with what we have and make do with the 100l tank for showers. During a recent trip we discovered a simple water saving trick for showers.

When water is limited we have wet down, lathered up then washed off soap. This has worked well for a long time to save water, but we recently tried a commercial body wash product called "QV Gentle Wash" it costs about $19 for a litre, which lasts a long time and is OK to wash hair instead of shampoo. I have a chronic skin condition that means I need to shower every day and have to be careful with what I wash with this QV stuff seems ok on my "delicate" skin. Have not tried it on very hard bore water yet, but think ti will work better than soap, which in heavy Queensland boar water does not lather.

The process is wet down, lather with the QV Gentle Wash and then wash off, the QV cleans well and washes off really easily, more easily and quicker than soap. To our surprise we were using about ½ the water per quick shower than we did with our usual soap and shampoo. Hope this helps with some of you who have limited water supply as it has us. We both can shower each day and have doubled the days we can shower from the van's water 100l supply. Sorry if this sounds like an add, but my dermatologist put me on to this stuff and it works (note for medical reasons, I also have to use the "QV skin lotion" each day as after showering).

That's pretty much how we do it also when on tanks, wet down lather up rinse off. The other thing we do is if washing dishes while on tanks is wipe off any excess with paper towel, so your not wasting water rinsing.
I've been using that QV wash for years now, it's good stuff, keep a bottle in the van and the house.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRW and yabbietol

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Interesting your comment re tank capacity. When we picked up our Evernew last Dec. The hand over bloke mentioned that is next to impossible to fill to stated capacity. So for a 90lt tank you might be able to only fill to say 80 prox lt. Something to do with air lock
Yep probably right there, also reckon it's a manufacturers cop out, if a tank is plumbed properly with its fillers and breathers it shouldn't get air lock the only way they won't fill properly is if the van isn't level when filling

Last edited:

Pauline

Dec 10, 2016
Perth
When we are in remote areas and water is in short supply we tend to use a garden sprayer. Fill up 3/4 with cold water and boil the kettle and top it up. The 7 liter container will shower both of us many times. So all we do on a daily basis is just top up with hot water the amount that we have used. You can also leave it out in the sun to warm up to save on gas. We do the same thing wet down, shower then rinse off. I agree that QV wash is really good stuff especially if you have any skin issues.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
So I'm not a very happy camper at moment, if a picture is worth a thousand words, here is 2000 words for you and at the time most of them weren't polite,
On the bright side I have been in contact with the dealer/factory and they are going to repair.
So got to be happy with that.
IMAG0183.jpg
IMAG0184.jpg

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hell Bushie, that does not look good. Where on the van is it ?
It's left hand interior wall panel where it meets the ceiling panel next to main bed above window and the peeled section is between window and the robe.

Wow any idea what may have caused that ?

I'm guessing at maybe water ingress from when we had the roof leak a while back because it joins the panel that was
replaced, however there is no staining or mould, or it maybe just didn't like being disturbed when they removed the ceiling panel.

Reactions: Drover

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Yep looks very close to our spot when cracka came for a visit but we left there 2 days early i think as it was blown out if the wind is up theres no excape from it there
And yes Maitland van park very bad a lot of people there you wouldnt want to walk past in the street let alone be in a van park with its the last stop before jail for some after being kicked out of rentals in town

Reactions: Bushman and DRW

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
My mum and dad lived in Tathra when building their motel in Bega, that would have been almost 40 years ago and the last time I was there, the jetty still looks the same, nice pics, cheers