Suspension Broken Jack

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Had a slow leak on back tyre thought I get it looked at instead of pumping it up every 2-3 weeks :)
Two turn snap goes the crap jack. Lucky I was still home.

So went and brought a Kojack one rather spend the $ if I ever needed it then I be very annoyed :)
I finish changing the tyre once it stops raining :)
IMG_4557.JPG

Might be worth people to swap them over for even a cheap bottle jack.
I hate scissor jacks although have not changed a tyre for like 5 years on anything so kept forgetting to replace it

Last edited:

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Gave our Jayco jack a dry run on our last van after reading somewhere on here they where crap. Wouldn't budge the van. So the bottle jack comes on all trips now not just some! Jeez those kojacks look good . Purpleline have some great products.

Reactions: Johnno48

Waratah

Jul 3, 2017
Melbourne
Ive just used my scissor jack (supplied) after getting a puncture, and it did struggle to lift the van.......after looking at what happened to yours ill be adding (getting a long list) a new jack to the list!
Cheers Stu

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I agree with all the scissor jack poo poo, but like most stuff its out of sight, out of mind in the boot. Ive never jacked a car or van from the chassis, Ive always jacked under the axle or fish plate. Ive used the Jayco scissor a few times to change a tyre (or replace a missing wheel :oops:), and do the bearing etc under the fully loaded 3ton Behemoth and whilst its certainly a big arm grind, putting it under the bottom of the suspension swing arm I only need to raise it 2 inches to compress the coil and that isnt a big (or dangerous) load for that jack.

Lifting the whole van with it is nuts

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have always told people to throw their Killer Jacks (scissors) in the bin, lifting a van or anything with them is dangerous especially if your trying to lift the chassis, if you get a flat the surface won't be perfect so a bottle under an axle or stub is always safer...................that also applies if your car came with one, they could kill you, get a bottle jack to do the job.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Never used the Jayco jack, come to think of it I don't know why we even carry the scissor jack across our great land considering I always use the Colorado bottle jack if need be.....mmm looks like our scissor jack in the panda will be minused of the payload after the weekend.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I did think of just jacking the axle although thought I use the jacking point next to the wheel..
still have to get around to doing the wheel later this week with the new jack.

Yes I saw previously here the jack was stuffed.. just thought we have a jack in the Disco. Ok Scissor as well if stuck I use that.
I assume Land Rover did not go for the cheapest jack they could get :) Well hope not :)

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
I bought a cheap bottle jack years ago. It just sits in the front trunk and i use it whenever i jack up the van for storage. Quick and easy and takes up bugger all room

Reactions: davemc

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Dammit! I threw out a perfectly good battle jack last year. Had one of those weird urges to remove unused clutter from the garage! Sure enough, as soon as I throw it out it's needed for something else.... Luckily, I've never used the scissor jack with the van.

Will have a look in the Colorado 7, I'm pretty sure I've only a scissor jack in it too!

Reactions: davemc and Lap Dog

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
One thing to be mindful of - is the height of the bottle jack. We had an incident last year where the bottle jack was too high to even get under the side of the van and had to borrow a smaller bottle jack.

Reactions: mikerezny

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
I bought a bottle jack to lift a footing on my deck a few weeks ago, I have heard the scissor jack was no good so thought it could live in the car if ever needed for car or van. But I bought a stumpy one (looked smaller and will take up less space) but as soon as I got home I wish I bought a two stage one as I'm not sure it will have enough lift.

So my question is will 85mm lift get the van off the ground with the jtec suspension? I know it will be useless for my car but hope it will work for the van even with a small amount of lift. Don't have the van at home so can't check it easily.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I bought a bottle jack to lift a footing on my deck a few weeks ago, I have heard the scissor jack was no good so thought it could live in the car if ever needed for car or van. But I bought a stumpy one (looked smaller and will take up less space) but as soon as I got home I wish I bought a two stage one as I'm not sure it will have enough lift.

So my question is will 85mm lift get the van off the ground with the jtec suspension? I know it will be useless for my car but hope it will work for the van even with a small amount of lift. Don't have the van at home so can't check it easily.
85mm lift isnt enough to jack from the chassis, but is plenty to jack the axle which is how I prefer it

Reactions: JT76

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
85mm lift isnt enough to jack from the chassis, but is plenty to jack the axle which is how I prefer it
Hi,
I am probably missing something, but can you also get the bottle jack under the axle if the tyre has shredded?
If so, then is 85mm enough to jack the axle up enough for clearance to fit a good tyre?

cheers
Mike

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast

Sounds good thanks.

Re a shredded tyre I guess I could always jack it up to a point and use a block of wood then remove jack and start again jacking from the next height if that makes sense.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I prefer to lift from the axle as chassis lifting can be scary roadside as you have to lift everything so high, just make sure when lifting from axlethat you lift from the axle stub, right near the wheel, Do Not lift from a rail or axle away from the wheel it can bend enough to throw out your alighnment...............If a tyre shreds do what the truckies do, drive that wheel onto a block of wood then you can get the jack under the axle, I have lifted the Colorado so carry a couple of blocks to stand the jack on...........a 2 stage jack is way better and you should always place a block under the jack to give better footing and stability, even if you have to dig some dirt away.

Oh and due to the large amount of DHs on the road have a Hi Vis vest in your tool box.

Reactions: mikerezny and JT76