20' Series Broken Cupboard Handle

Falco

Jul 4, 2016
Gold Coast
Apparently all the cupboard & draw handles in 2016 were plastic, and very prone to breaking. After that, Jayco saw the error of their ways and they went to a metal handle. Unfortunately for me I have a 2016 and have replaced quite a few plastic draw handles at approximately $20 each.
I now have a few cupboard handles that need replacing. Is there a secret to accessing a cupboard handle that has broken. All my other breakages were draw handles that were easy to open once broken. But I cant see how I am going to get the cupboard handle open.
yWjw7ZU.jpg

BaldEd

Sep 24, 2017
Canterbury, NZ
I have a 2016 Jayco and have had a number of breakages of those rubbish silver plastic handles. What usually happens is that the brass toggle that pushes the catch out of the way is attached at one end to the handle by being screwed into the plastic handle. The plastic splits and releases the brass toggle. The toggle then remains in the door. Force the silver plastic handle fully open - you may break it - which won't matter anyway as you will be replacing it. Now with a pair of long pliers reach into the hole in the door and remove the brass toggle. Then, poke a small screwdriver or knitting needle, into the hole and use that to depress the catch inside. And bingo you will have got it open. :) If you need to see how those simple locks work I suggest you remove a drawer (but NOT THE TOP ONE) and pull it apart then re-assemble and replace. Easy peasy..

BaldEd

Sep 24, 2017
Canterbury, NZ
One more thing. The new metal handle comes packaged with a separate brass rod (toggle). The brass rod has to be screwed into the threaded hole in the back of the metal handle. This brass rod MUST be securely fastened in place - use a drop or 2 of superglue on the thread to ensure that the rod (toggle) never parts company with the metal handle.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
One more thing. The new metal handle comes packaged with a separate brass rod (toggle). The brass rod has to be screwed into the threaded hole in the back of the metal handle. This brass rod MUST be securely fastened in place - use a drop or 2 of superglue on the thread to ensure that the rod (toggle) never parts company with the metal handle.
or perhaps locktite or stud lock.

Reactions: Del Rose