17' Series Braking issues

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Hi all,

The brakes on our expanda have always worked excellent and generally will lock around the 6-7 volt mark on the brake controller. With this in mind, I am about to do a 2000km trip and thought I would have the bearings all checked before we go. After having this done my brakes won't even lock on max voltage.

Now, this was all done by my mechanic that has years of experience and I respect greatly, so not trying to point the finger at him. As him and I work through the the possibilities, this is what we have eliminated.

All hubs were installed back onto the original backing plates so the wear between the magnet an the drum still matched up.
Voltage is good under load at the drum.
Amperage is good under load at the drum.
Adjustment is correct and not over or under adjusted
Only hubs were removed for bearing to be done and backing plates /magnets left undisturbed.

What else could possibly cause brakes to go from perfect to poor so suddenly?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Have you checked if the brake drums feel warm after going for a drive, this will indicate the brakes are in fact working?

Can you feel the van brakes working?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Drums can take a few miles to bed/settle in, even if the shoes weren't changed.

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Drums are warm. I thought there might be a bed in process but was not sure. It kinda weird because the hubs were only removed and replaced after the bearings were installed. This had me wondering if there would be a bed in process or not as everything was going back how it was?

I can feel them working but nothing like before. Controller need to be on max to get near the desired effect

beecee

Feb 10, 2013
Canberra
When my Expanda was new I had this problem. I couldn't get a lock up no matter what I had on the dial. The dealer was very patient and tried to assist, but in the end they recommended that I go for a long drive. After about 250km on the first trip all was fine. I think there is a bedding in of new shoes. It doesn't sound like you had new shoes fitted though?

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
great so it takes around 300km to bed the brakes in, I will be driving off the ferry in Tasmania with about 80km on the van. I was nervous enough before about towing a 23ft van for the first time in Tassie let alone one with out brakes.

Reactions: Smirke

Darrin

Sep 5, 2013
Birkdale Qld
Same thing happened to me even after 8oo klms , I called them numerous times as they weren't getting any better , they told me to drive around the block with the brake level on full at max volts .So I did ,backed it in the driveway , brakes smoking like nothing else .Heaps better now .You may like to give it a go .

Cheers

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When I do my bearings the inside of the drum gets a good wash down with metho & air as well as the magnets and thats after a general clean up to get rid of the crap that gathers in there as they need lock up straight away, my driveway is 40 mts of near vertical so they have to work from the get up or we are in for one hell of a ride straight away.

Reactions: yabbietol