14' Series Brakes

Oct 21, 2012
Hi all
I have a 14.44-4 2013 model when I brake lightly sometimes it applies brakes hard only sometimes, especially when in traffic and just touch brakes nearly headbutt windscreen, but then next few times it's fine, I thought it might have been the brake controller but I towed it with another vehicle and does the one same thing, was talking to a bloke and he was saying there was a run of faulty magnets just wondering if if anyone has had this problem, thanks for any help.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
being an '13..... I would suggest that the brakes are in need of adjustment

might be something not quite right inside - or it could be a bad connection in the wiring for the brakes........

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
More likely adjustment needed, magnets will work or don't work, the amount of application depends on the amount of power supplied by the controller so brake shoe adjustment is the most likely, also check tyre pressure too low will skid/lock same for too high.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi all
I have a 14.44-4 2013 model when I brake lightly sometimes it applies brakes hard only sometimes, especially when in traffic and just touch brakes nearly headbutt windscreen, but then next few times it's fine, I thought it might have been the brake controller but I towed it with another vehicle and does the one same thing, was talking to a bloke and he was saying there was a run of faulty magnets just wondering if if anyone has had this problem, thanks for any help.
Im running a Tekonsha P3 and I get varying brake application. Despite the claim they work at any angle, they dont and much prefer to be installed flatter. I don't get any actual lock up, but often enough I get the same occasional low speed jolt as you. Ive had the hubs off enough times doing the bearings etc, and I checked the brakes, re-wired the magnets and adjusted the shoes regularly enough but none of that eliminates that occasional tight fisted brake grab.

With my old Haynes controller, that would without fail lock up the old camper for the first few times I applied the brakes for the day. It would be fine until we hitched up and headed off again tomorrow and it would do it again a few times before freeing up.

Its was like it had arthritis, and needed to warm up. I just made up that arthritis analogy because I had a recent knee op, and I now know how that brake controller felt first thing in the morning. Glucosemine, Nuromol and Voltaren may fix your controller ;)

Hylux

Sep 1, 2017
Newcastle
I have exact same model and same issue but I recently purchased and only towed a couple of times. I will check adjustment when time permits. Doesn't sound like controller (different types, mine does not have inertia ) or wiring if both of us have same issue.

Oct 21, 2012
Hey all
I'm running a redarc tow pro,
I'll pull wheels off and check everything and regrease bearings while I'm at, what is the brake adjustment tighten until locked then back off a few clicks,
Thanks again for help.

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
On our old 14.44-4 OB, we had a similar issue. Eventually they replac d the ALKO backing plate and the brakes were fine until we sold the caravan. Jayco told us that the backing plate was causing the brakes to stick. May by that could be your issue.
Good Luck
Nick

Ray Jones

Aug 12, 2017
Wallan, Victoria
With my old Haynes controller, that would without fail lock up the old camper for the first few times I applied the brakes for the day. It would be fine until we hitched up and headed off again tomorrow and it would do it again a few times before freeing up.

Its was like it had arthritis, and needed to warm up. I just made up that arthritis analogy because I had a recent knee op, and I now know how that brake controller felt first thing in the morning. Glucosemine, Nuromol and Voltaren may fix your controller ;)

I'm led to believe the brakes locking up after being left idle for a while is due to surface rust on the drum.
Just like rail tracks rust up before the first train overnight (well they can do here in Victroria!)

Once the rust is knocked off, situation normal returns....

Same has happened with my camper trailer brakes.

Reactions: KECL and Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I'm led to believe the brakes locking up after being left idle for a while is due to surface rust on the drum.
Just like rail tracks rust up before the first train overnight (well they can do here in Victroria!)

Once the rust is knocked off, situation normal returns....

Same has happened with my camper trailer brakes.
Maybe, particularly with established rust; but now you mention that I would think possibly the dusty surface rust to reduce braking ..... thoughts ??