Boating and fishing

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Your life is always exciting @Bluey, well never dull anyway........................................there are big things in the water in the bay, keep loosing rigs as something grabs hold and swims away until snap, possibly a Ray or Shark, next trip have the bigger rod and 40lb line onboard, we will see then what happens....might tow boat to NZ.

Reactions: bigcol and Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well this is the Ute you need @Bluey , I find Nippers the best down that way for Flatty's and Whiting...........................Mrs D hauled in a monster Toad the other day, was huge and is claiming it a a catch which she threw back, I protested as 10kg Toads don't count, they are salt water Carp....................they have flamin big Toads in Tin Can Bay, slice em and throw em back.

IMG_20170523_123332.jpg

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Do you hear there !!!!!!!!!!!!! :p ....Do You Hear There :) .....................

I am pleased to report, I caught a fish and in my Bo At, it ticks all the boxes ............ A:....Decent size.................. B:.............it's edible.....................:clap2:
I am very chuffed, for the techo Fisherpersons a fishing rod with green line and a red hook was used, with some squishy, yucky stuff on the hook........................oh and even though it doesn't look it in the pic, the monster is 54.5 cm long.....The pained look is because someone takes bluddy ages to take a photo.

fishpicemail.jpg

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Do you hear there !!!!!!!!!!!!! :p ....Do You Hear There :) .....................

I am pleased to report, I caught a fish and in my Bo At, it ticks all the boxes ............ A:....Decent size.................. B:.............it's edible.....................:clap2:
I am very chuffed, for the techo Fisherpersons a fishing rod with green line and a red hook was used, with some squishy, yucky stuff on the hook........................oh and even though it doesn't look it in the pic, the monster is 54.5 cm long.....The pained look is because someone takes bluddy ages to take a photo.

View attachment 59187
Very nice catch.
The trick is to hold it out in front of you towards the camera. Makes it look HEAPS bigger!

Reactions: Drover

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
The original trailer looks like a Boathoist version like the one I have. The boat goes on a boat loader on the roof when I take it with the Expanda behind. Trailer axle/ wheels on the rear bumper of the van and the outboard in the back of the car.

Attachments

• IMG_1957.JPG
    IMG_1957.JPG
    562.9 KB · Views: 406

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
When we sold our CT and upgraded to the Expanda carrying a boat became a problem. With the CT and its boat racks I had no real weight restrictions so I could carry pretty much anything I could get on and off comfortably, but once you start towing a van the only place for a boat is the roof of the tug.

After a bit of Google time I soon had the max weight figures for the roof of a Pajero which is 100kg. Firstly I needed to work out how to get the tinny up there a Pajero with a 50mm lift is to high for man handling so after a bit more time on Google I decided to buy a Rhino Rack Side Boat Loader, not a cheap item but one I was going to need regardless.

I soon realised I was going to need a new tinny as the boat loader and roof racks took 30kg of my 100kg limit and the 3.9m Stessel I carried on the CT weighed 80kg. I settled for a 3.49 Stacer Proline Car Topper, she's not a big boat but it only weighs 52kg so this keeps me under the 100kg limit. I see so many set ups whilst on the road and at the dam which would be way above their roof max weight and it makes me shudder.

I originally had a 4h/p 2 stroke Merc as a power plant and whilst it was better than rowing it was painfully slow so I have since upgraded to a 8h/p 2 stroke Merc. This is the max h/p for this hull and I carry it on the draw of the van bar on a T post I made, we now cruise along at a reasonable rate.

I sold my fold up trailer when I sold the CT so I cant tow the car topper on the road but I have no need to as I have two other boats for this. I made up a simple tow hitch and I use the clamp on style tinny mover wheels from BCF, this way I can tow short distances if needed or simply wheel it around by hand.

The little tiny hasn't been in salt water as yet as most of my time since buying the Expanda has been taken up with a fishing club myself and the wife run (this takes up most of our spare time but I could post heaps of pics of fish:p) but for the dams and one day caravan parks that have their own ramps and relatively sheltered water ways she's a little beauty.

The missus and I don't have much time for the taste of fresh water fish (spoilt by the catch we get from the ocean) so we really don't chase them but we do like the taste of these little fellas which is the main reason for setting up the car topper.
995345_1707689656141136_5269810756397819043_n.jpg20151022_092704.jpg

CT with the Stessel on top, fold up boat trailer on the draw bar and motor in the trailer. No real weight restriction so could carry a bigger tinny.
20141002_084902.jpg
This is what our caravanning and boating set up looks like.....

P3080466.JPG20161001_124008.jpg20150301_130310.jpg20150319_084529.jpg20151020_164019.jpg20150322_095759.jpg

Might as well throw in a pic of the salt water rigs.....

20171120_131251.jpg20160527_152815.jpg

For pics of fish go to http://www.baysidesocialfishingclubinc.com/ and have a look under the gallery tab:);):D

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats a fantastic set up @Axl

When did you get a boat?

I made note of it in Post #2 of this thread .........................................so far Chris and I have depleted the Toad population in TCB and had a couple of nice real fish catches, a 4.2m Busta with a 40hp 4 stroke Yammie pushing it along............just have to learn how to fish.

Reactions: chartrock

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
When we sold our CT and upgraded to the Expanda carrying a boat became a problem. With the CT and its boat racks I had no real weight restrictions so I could carry pretty much anything I could get on and off comfortably, but once you start towing a van the only place for a boat is the roof of the tug.

After a bit of Google time I soon had the max weight figures for the roof of a Pajero which is 100kg. Firstly I needed to work out how to get the tinny up there a Pajero with a 50mm lift is to high for man handling so after a bit more time on Google I decided to buy a Rhino Rack Side Boat Loader, not a cheap item but one I was going to need regardless.

I soon realised I was going to need a new tinny as the boat loader and roof racks took 30kg of my 100kg limit and the 3.9m Stessel I carried on the CT weighed 80kg. I settled for a 3.49 Stacer Proline Car Topper, she's not a big boat but it only weighs 52kg so this keeps me under the 100kg limit. I see so many set ups whilst on the road and at the dam which would be way above their roof max weight and it makes me shudder.

I originally had a 4h/p 2 stroke Merc as a power plant and whilst it was better than rowing it was painfully slow so I have since upgraded to a 8h/p 2 stroke Merc. This is the max h/p for this hull and I carry it on the draw of the van bar on a T post I made, we now cruise along at a reasonable rate.

I sold my fold up trailer when I sold the CT so I cant tow the car topper on the road but I have no need to as I have two other boats for this. I made up a simple tow hitch and I use the clamp on style tinny mover wheels from BCF, this way I can tow short distances if needed or simply wheel it around by hand.

The little tiny hasn't been in salt water as yet as most of my time since buying the Expanda has been taken up with a fishing club myself and the wife run (this takes up most of our spare time but I could post heaps of pics of fish:p) but for the dams and one day caravan parks that have their own ramps and relatively sheltered water ways she's a little beauty.

The missus and I don't have much time for the taste of fresh water fish (spoilt by the catch we get from the ocean) so we really don't chase them but we do like the taste of these little fellas which is the main reason for setting up the car topper.
View attachment 59204View attachment 59205

CT with the Stessel on top, fold up boat trailer on the draw bar and motor in the trailer. No real weight restriction so could carry a bigger tinny.
View attachment 59201
This is what our caravanning and boating set up looks like.....

View attachment 59191View attachment 59192View attachment 59193View attachment 59194View attachment 59195View attachment 59196

Might as well throw in a pic of the salt water rigs.....

View attachment 59197View attachment 59198

For pics of fish go to http://www.baysidesocialfishingclubinc.com/ and have a look under the gallery tab:);):D
I found similar issues with maximum weights for the roof of a prado as well, hence I settled with a 3.49m Quintrex Car Topper- Weights 52kg hull, 23kg for the boat loader and use a Merc 8hp engine as it is the most lightweight engine for its size.

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
How do find the trailor i have a boathoist works well but put 2 high tenstile bolts in the draw bar it made it much better
The trailer is pretty good overall . I ended up welding two tags at the keel joint that I put a long shanked padlock through it and slip two bike slings around the wheels at the ramp. I figured unless you did that as well, it was pointless putting a lock on the chain/ hitch considering 6 nuts can dismantle the rest of the trailer.

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
the biggest issue with collapsible trailers or dismantlable trailers is the ease of undoing bolts.

Therefore I welded the tabs on the main keel joint and have two wire slings that go through the wheels and axles. It takes about 30 seconds to install the slings and I figure if somebody really wants it, they can work by cutting the slings, padlocks etc in the first place.

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Pretty ordinary Australia Day weekend for me. Took the kids away camping with a fishing club I’m part of, to Lake St Clair.

Fishing was OK, but destroyed the bottom of my motor on the first day...
AD6FCF29-D612-4BE2-A0FC-33B592FD4363.jpeg
4175048B-0A69-40F3-9B52-4BA8F090F41A.jpeg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hope the shaft didn't cop it too bad though........I polished the edges on mine with sand recently went from 8 Mts to 400cm in a micro second, luckily not at speed and Lecky tilt.

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
I was lucky I wasn’t going full noise. I was slowing down looking for a good spot to fish. Still on the plane, probably about 20-25mph. Know what you mean @Drover, Just got shallow out of nowhere! Long way from the bank too.... Guess this happens when water levels drop.

I think the shaft is OK. Will know more in a few weeks once I book it in for repair. Not even going to attempt this job myself, that’s why I pay insurance!