Chassis Bike Rack

PatnKate

Feb 8, 2016
Sunbury, Vic
bike 2.JPG
bike 3.JPG
bike 4.JPG
bike 5.JPG

Hi Rick, I own a 16:49:1, OB 2012. After many sleepless nights on finding an option I settled on the isi carriers. Was probably the most expensive option however the ability to have it on the car as well as the van was a big plus. My welding skills aren't the best so I went down to my local "Mens Shed" for advice and help welding and for the design. The rack on the van fold forward, just remove the bottom pin, so I can leave it on the van while I open the bed ends, a big plus. It's also visible wile driving. It's getting its first use this week, the extra weight doesn't overload my ball weight but am still looking at transferring my spare wheel to the underside of the back of van. I have the 4 bike carrier and tied down my youngests 12" bike over the top!! I will add pics soon. :)
Good luck

Hi Rick and others,
Finally found some time to add some pics. Please also have a look at http://www.isi-carriers.com/customers/ah2/expanda-rack.html
These are someone else's pics and van, same as my final product. I used 75x75x3mm square steel, the bottom plate has been mostly left as a square to maintain integrity and to reduce flex. Just a small channel cut out to bolt on. I think in total with bikes in pic total weight is approx. 40kgs. The rack folds away from car well to allow access. Due to ball weight increase I have added heavy duty airbags to the rear springs of the car. Seems to accommodate well.
Have fun.

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Hi Rick, I own a 16:49:1, OB 2012. After many sleepless nights on finding an option I settled on the isi carriers. Was probably the most expensive option however the ability to have it on the car as well as the van was a big plus. My welding skills aren't the best so I went down to my local "Mens Shed" for advice and help welding and for the design. The rack on the van fold forward, just remove the bottom pin, so I can leave it on the van while I open the bed ends, a big plus. It's also visible wile driving. It's getting its first use this week, the extra weight doesn't overload my ball weight but am still looking at transferring my spare wheel to the underside of the back of van. I have the 4 bike carrier and tied down my youngests 12" bike over the top!! I will add pics soon. :)
Good luck

Please do as I'm interested in this carrier also, and wouldn't mind "borrowing" some ideas... :)

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Please do as I'm interested in this carrier also, and wouldn't mind "borrowing" some ideas... :)

Same here, I am lucky because my kids bikes are only small so they go in the back of the Jeep, but it wont be long at all before they will need to be transported on a rack of some sort. I never extended the drawbar (rookie mistake) so at the moment it looks like the roof of the car for me. We have Thule as a supplier so I might get a good deal on the roof rack version. I am not keen on putting 4-6 bikes on the back bumper bar so it might even have to be roof AND drawbar. Geez only just thought of the two adult bikes. Maybe I will just get an electric scooter to whizz around on!!

Erictheexpanda

Feb 12, 2016
Murrumbateman
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I was thinking of doing something like the one on this other thread. It would allow me to carry 4 kids bikes, swing it around for a quick overnight stop or swing to the end of the awning to keep the bikes secure for a longer stay. I keep getting told the extra weight will cause chassis issues, and accept the additional bounce will apply additional pressure. However any practical advice would be welcomed.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/bike-carrier-quandary.173/

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
I'd be checking how the rear bar is attached to the chasis too if your fabricating. Mine has a couple welds holding the bracket on that wouldnt hold much wleght. Either designed that way so if the bumper hits something bad it breaks off before damaging the main chasis, or maybe Jayco made the silcon guy weld it.

Wombat6

Aug 27, 2016
Melbourne
We have a 20.06 Expanda but because we sometimes take a couple of kayaks on top of our Jeep putting the two adult bikes and the three kids bikes on top is not an option. From all the reviews the ISI racks looked to be the best option to at least carry four of the bikes on the draw bar (we also have a WDH so can't put a rack on the tow ball itself). However, I was somewhat annoyed when, after a couple of weeks of correspondence the ISI distributor finally mentioned that they didn't supply the attachment to the draw bar, we would have to arrange to have that built and would then be able to attach their rack to it.

Still looks like a great, albeit expensive way to carry four bikes and I do like being also able to transfer it to the two bar when we are not towing the caravan. May reconsider it after we return from our current trip.

Reactions: PatnKate and bigcol