Chassis Bike Rack

Rick

Oct 19, 2014
Hi I am thinking about building a rear bike rack I am going to fabricate a new rear bar as well, would love to see some pictures to get some ideas and some thought on the do and don'ts like is it a good idea to put them on the rear?? Cheers

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Add...

How many bikes?
How heavy are they?
Fitted direct to the rear bumper?

Sorry....all relevant questions so someone can give some advice.
8-)

Never had personal experience but a lot of people suggest NOT to put the bikes on the rear end due to bouncing around (Leverage issue) and others have lost theirs on their travels and knew nothing of it until they stopped somewhere :oops:

Some have done it without any issues so guessing it all depends on how it is mounted and strengthened????
If you scroll down the page there are a list of "Similar Threads". One of them may be of help to you @Rick ?

Otherwise someone with experience in these will pop in and answer your questions for you!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
there was someone (think @dagree - who was it......?) who made a bike rack that was a swing out type - so you did not have to unload the bikes to set up the rear bed.............

ahhhhhhhhhh I cannot remember who it was
they had pictures in their thread as well........

Reactions: Drover and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Very much an in depth subject this one!!
I'm doing something similar to this but it will be able to carry 2 or 4 bikes depending on our needs. No idea if it a members van but would be great to hear an opinion on these high end carriers.

http://www.isi-carriers.com/customers/as/jayco-bike-rack.html

Cheers Max.

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh eeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I like that

ticks all the required boxes

wheels sit in a channel (or basket type thingy) for support
centre pole that the top of the bike is tied to
folds downwards

yummy, I like that, good stuff @Herbertclan

Reactions: Herbertclan

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
ery much an in depth subject this one!!
I'm doing something similar to this but it will be able to carry 2 or 4 bikes depending on our needs. No idea if it a members van but would be great to hear an opinion on these high end carriers.

http://www.isi-carriers.com/customers/as/jayco-bike-rack.html

Cheers Max.
Wow they are the "Ducks Nuts".... But did you check out the prices for what
I thought it was someone east coast

It was but skippy's post popped up in my search.. And link now added 8-)

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh eeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I like that

ticks all the required boxes

wheels sit in a channel (or basket type thingy) for support
centre pole that the top of the bike is tied to
folds downwards

yummy, I like that, good stuff @Herbertclan

Very much so @bigcol, I was tearing my hair out looking for a good alternative and found these on web. the price isn't too bad considering it will go straight on your vehicle if your that way inclined. Our issue is we have 4 full size MB's and I didn't want all 4 off the back and don't have the luxury to have all 4 on the front. I have designed something similar with a mate on our solidworks program that will give the best of both worlds.
Long story short when fully assembled it will carry 4 bikes on the Prado and when set up for the van 2 will be on the front with the main pivot arrangement and the other bikes flange mounted (other half of the carrier) to the back of the van. I wanted this to help cancel out negative and positive draw bar weights affecting the vans stability.
Hope the dam thing workso_O

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
looks nice, not the one I was thinking of, but yeah - same principle I was think...........

Wasn't the one I was thinking about and yes... similar concept but I like the addition of the jockey wheel for support

I'm glad you still have your memory @dagree - I lost mine with my sanity - both went walkabout and never returned

Reactions: dagree