BigCols 16.49.1 (HL).OB (13EX)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
thought it was time to put up a thread about our new Baby - well, we did pick her up in July 2013
dont know what the (HL) and (13EX) mean, I think 2013 Expo(Perth C'van and Camping Show)

it came with 90W Solar power and 100A battery and privacy screens free........ so I signed for it.
we did a few mods before we got her
extended Draw Bar
got rid of Aircon in the cupboard (as I didnt like the way the air was facing straight out the door) and got a Truma Aventa roof top air con.
moved the Micro to where the old aircon used to be
got a bigger fridge
and a small panty cupboard above it
more double power points
IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg
Twas a joy to pick her up on Handover day, was better watching someone come in for their new van, and a well known 4x4 shop had not done the 12 pin plug wiring properly, they had to get the car re-wired again, to pickup their van - made me stressed after that, thinking is MINE ok??

So her Maiden Voyage was up to Exmouth less than 2 weeks after picking her up - (1 of which, I had to go to work, dammit) - via Denham, Geraldton & Carnarvon., unfortunately, just after we left the Halfway Mill House, on the Brand Hwy, the clutch in my Patrol turned its toes up, so it was a slow limp into Geraldton, anything over 2500rpm, and it slipped like a slippery dip.

had to then drive home, and "borrow" the Bosses V8 100 series (man can they drink) - Auto, V8, cruise control - sheer luxury
anyway.......... :)

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

then, the latter half of the year was taken up with Medical problems, I had a hernia in my stomach
then I was just getting over that, and then spend some days in RPH (8 days) as I had an Abscess go septic on me.....

so, to 2014, it was time to start to do the mods to the van I was hoping to start in '13

laid carpet squares on the floor
IMAG0473.jpg
IMAG0475.jpg
then, to copy an idea I had seen on here last year - grab rail / towel holder on the door, to make it easier to close from the inside
IMAG0476.jpg
now I have to dust off my new welder I brought for Fathers Day (but not used as per latter half of last year)
and weld a holder for the Jockey wheel across the draw bar - why? because it makes it easier to fit it there when traveling, than trying to find room in the car (without damaging anything internal) or trying to find room in the van to store while on the move

IMAG0472.jpg
so now, I have to get the proverbial out and practice welding again

future Mods -
well, I have borrowed a pic of a front box from @JASA and am in the process of slightly re-designing it to my needs and wants (once done, I will put up the CAD drawing for anyone)
move spare wheel to rear of Van
thinking of putting small doors on the drivers side for storage under the sink etc, as you really cannot get down on your knees to get into them, but with access from the outside, I can store pipes & cables for setup

nuff for now........

cheers

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Wow @bigcol bit a great end to last year! Hope all is on the mend now and you can actually get out and enjoy your van! Look forward to hearing of your trips and mods.

BJ

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi @bigcol hope all is well now. Your van looks great. Can't wait to see my toolbox modified :D
The jockey wheel holder is a good idea, I was always looking for a spot...it usually ended up in the back of the cruiser somewhere. Now it goes in the toolbox nice and easy :)

Cheers James

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@JASA yeah, I have taken your drawing, and am getting a guy at work to do it up in CAD
the mods I am doing to it are.....
the 2 side doors - they will be sectioned off from the center - I dont have a Genny or Chainsaw - so I want 1 side to be for Cables and Hoses and the other side for blocks and pegs and ropes etc
in the center I will have my Gas bottle internally, with annex and matting in there.

hopefully he will have it done when I go to work tomorrow
I was hoping to have had the drawing by now, so I can see some Fab shops to get pricing and time sorted.

oh well, not to worry.

cheers

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Looks good Col I seem to remember you saying you were heading off to Exmouth when we were on our way back glad to hear you are well, we need to try and organise a meet n greet here in the west this year, would be good to put some faces to a few of the names here on the forum
Cheers Grant

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
well, I'm still waiting for the guy at work to have time to do the drawing of @JASA box for me - frustrating - but its free, so Im not complaining (much)

finally got out my new MIG that I brought for my Fathers Day last year, had a mate set it up for me (Coded Welder) so now I have welded the Jockey wheel holder into place.
I found it annoying that when packing up, you get everything all nice and neat - then BAM - trow the Jockey wheel into the back of the car on top of everything there.
plus the handle holds the Trailer cable off the ground (well, close to the ground anyway)

my mission this swing home was to modify the end of our Patio so I could get the van underneath it. (didnt realize what some do for a living @Capt. Gadget )
will be finished today some time (slack as) so I will get Piccies up tonight

my back yard has been a mission and a half since I brought the Expanda
I used to have my little shed next to the back driveway and moved it BEFORE I got the Van - so its all sand next to the driveway there, with a pile of Pavers sitting there
my Flamingo was 15mm each side clearance to get through the back gate
Expanda is the same width - why wont the ^%&*(%^* thing go through the gate?? penny drop moment - DOH - the Awning arms hang outside the width, THAT'S why it wont go through the gate.
pull down part of the fence, build a gate quick smart - not for dogs, but so I can close the yard again.
DAMN those Pavers are in the way - quick move them 1 foot to the left
AHHHHH now the van can get in and out..........................

so after Xmas while on R&R I decided to move the Pavers out of the way completely - all 285 of them
right, now I can get the Van in - and my Patrol just behind the gate when I go to work - YAHH ME .!.!.!.!.!.

mmmmm, now the van is in the Blazing WA sun in summer - and half on paved driveway, half off
need to get paving sorted
where am I going to put the van while this happens?
NOT out on the verge thats for sure
hey, it just fits under the Patio - up to the Roof Air Con -
mmmmm - if I modify the end of the Patio - I can get the van 99.6% under cover.........

so thats where I am at the moment
Pic's to follow

cheers

Reactions: cruza driver

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
maybe I should have started a new thread.......??

sorry

anyway, just went a did some current photo's
Jockey Wheel Holder (and you can see the sand / paving mix)
IMAG0540.jpg
the new Gate I had to make and fit in a massive hurry, and you can see the width of the original Paving - fitted the car & the Flamingo alright..... not the Expanda
IMAG0539.jpg

a shot of by just how much it misses the current driveway (the tarp is to protect from welding patter - and grinding sparks)

IMAG0538.jpg

what the end of the Patio used to look like -
IMAG0536.jpg

what it currently looks like -
IMAG0537.jpg

and the finished job -

have to wait - I haven't finished yet - hahahahaha

cheers

Reactions: The Goodwins

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
oiy @17triton dont be saying things like that - SWMBO may see and then I'll be buggered......

no, next plan is to pave the whole area and put up shade sails. then, I just take it out to loadup and unload.

I hope.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
well, its coming on to winter - and we may actually get some rain, so I thought I would do something about the "Privacy Screens" provided by Jayco
from this - front and rear
IMAG0606[1].jpg
IMAG0605[1].jpg

to this - front and rear
IMAG0620[1].jpg
IMAG0619[1].jpg

very very pleased I am
my Friends at Hayway Camping Sales and Hire did a great Job - in a rush (for me)

pickled tink I is.

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
while I'm home, I also did the "Standard Mod" - well, its getting to be standard.....
did both front and rear -
front has the floor matting, and the mesh Privacy screen
rear has the table, Daughters Dolls chair, and mesh privacy screen

IMAG0613[1].jpg

very happy with my "handyman" routine - as Im not a good Handyman

cheers

Reactions: blacky and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Looks good @bigcol .... Thinking about doing the waterproof covers at some stage after a few others....
OH and the "Standard Mod" looks familiar ;)