Interior Best TV Mount?

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Have search the forum but didnt find what I was looking for. Our 14.44 came with a wind up antenna so I thought we may as well buy a cheap 19" tv from kogan to make use of it. Do you know if they reinforce the wall to mount a tv off it when they installed the antenna? It has a 12v cig plug with a boster on the wall so I dont know if they strengthen the wall when they do this or not.
The mounts I have seen have a thin plate with two screws and I wouldnt trust it in a caravan bouncing along the road.

I know there is a option of just storing it and sitting on the bench when we arrive but want to see what mounts are out there that might spread the load on the wall to make it nice and strong.

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Jayco will have wall plans of your van. If you provide your chassis number they can provide those plans which show all wall blocking.

Otherwise, the walls are thin ply and polystyrene, and would hold a toothbrush holder. Wall blocking is a different request to wind up aerial. I know in the real world they should be mutually inclusive, but in Jayco land theyre not

If wall blocking wasnt request at the build stage, you won't have it

The Coast to Coast TV mount Jayco use is pretty good. Mounted to wall blocking theyve done extremely well for us. We hang a 24in Kogan off ours and it lives on the mount, unless we're hitting serious rough tracks ... occasionally ive been on rough tracks and forgotten to stow it, and its survived

On a side note, Kogan TVs are really good.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
What year is your 14.44
Ours is 2014. We did not get the antenna or TV or wall blocking.
I have put a TV in ours.
I pulled off the GPO for the A/C and the 12V/antenna outlet as well as the other double GPO just above the bench. With a bit of poking and prodding I found ours wasn't reinforced. Also it looked as though the A/C refrigeration pipes ran vertically up the centre of that space. I made a cardboard template then traced this onto some MDF and made a replacement panel to fit this space. This is screwed to the wall all around the perimeter. Then on top of this I screw fixed my TV wall bracket making sure I didn't protrude into the cavity. Have completed a trip on the Darling River run with the TV on the bracket with no issues.
Aldi TV and Aldi TV wall mount bracket
IMG_1064_zps4c2a3n0c.jpg
IMG_1063_zpscpmgidof.jpg

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
On my old 14-44 (now owned by @Axl) I used a fixed mount and bolted it through the edge of the cupboard as in the pics. The swivel bracket stayed mounted on the TV and the whole thing removed and stored in a cupboard for traveling. To the best of my knowledge it is still working.
DSC_2344.jpg DSC_2345.jpg

Reactions: dagree and JT76

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Thanks everyone!

@Crusty181 I didn't know they had individual plans for each unit so I will look into that and see if mine had any extra reinforcing. Is it best to contact the local dealer re this?

@MDS69 I think that's a good alternative and I can see it would work well. Don't know if I can trust myself to cut it out neat enough but it's a great idea. Our is a November 2015 model, I'm sure it's pretty much the same as a 2014?? I like the look of that wall bracket too, it's spread over a fairly large area, would you not trust it to hold on to the tv without the extra panel?

@chartrock I have seen those brackets on eBay I think, I can't get my head around what area that is in? It does not look to be in the same area as our to point is, which is under the a/c on the left as you walk in the door. Where about did you bolt the bracket too?

Thanks for the replies, this is a great forum. I will have to get some pics of our van with a few minor mods I have done, all from researching this forum.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
@chartrock I have seen those brackets on eBay I think, I can't get my head around what area that is in? It does not look to be in the same area as our to point is, which is under the a/c on the left as you walk in the door. Where about did you bolt the bracket too?
Here is a pic looking straight in from the door before I mounted the bracket. I mounted it just to the right of the small door under the air con and bolted it through the double thickness of the wall.
Expanda from Doorway.jpg

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Thanks everyone!

@MDS69 I think that's a good alternative and I can see it would work well. Don't know if I can trust myself to cut it out neat enough but it's a great idea. Our is a November 2015 model, I'm sure it's pretty much the same as a 2014?? I like the look of that wall bracket too, it's spread over a fairly large area, would you not trust it to hold on to the tv without the extra panel?

Thanks for the replies, this is a great forum. I will have to get some pics of our van with a few minor mods I have done, all from researching this forum.

In a word no. Also as I mentioned previously the A/C pipes ran up the middle of the wall where the bracket screws to and I didn't want the screws to penetrate into the cavity to risk piercing them or skimming them then have the screw rub a hole from corrugated steel.

Reactions: JT76

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
HI @JT76,
We owned a 2013 14.44-4ob which came with a tv and wall bracket mounted under the air conditioner. It screwed into the timber panel. There was an additional piece of timber behind the wall, which fell of anyway. I used to leave it mounted to the bracket when traveling and slid a piece of foam under the tv to stop it moving. I had no issues and used it this way until we sold it. I will see if I can't find some photos. The TV was easy to remove from the bracket if we wants to remove it.
Cheers
Nick

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
The dealer where you bought the van, or failing that Jayco direct.
Thanks this will be my first port of call, if no reinforcement is there ill look at some of the other options, thanks.

@chartrock thanks for that, its a different floor plan to ours so thats what confused me when i was looking at the close up photo. Have to stick my head in the van and have a look to see if it would work as well in our layout, cant see why not so adding it to one of the backup options, thanks.

@mds thanks, guess its better to be safe than sorry and makes a mess of things.

@Rockape looks like an option but would hate to screw through the timber and hit a/c pipes. At least having it mounted with the block ment it was in the right place to start with.

@davemc that looks like another great idea. Having the weight on the table top and not a wall makes sense. If our van doesnt have any reo in the wall then this might just go to the top of the list for second options. Im guessing these can be found by looking up computer monitor swing arms? Will have a dig around and see what I can find.

Thanks everyone for the time to help out. Have heaps of good ideas to choose between!

Reactions: Rockape

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@JT76 We have a 17.56.2 and wanted to fit something similar to what you are wanting to do. Unfortunately we have the window behind where the TV goes and I was concerned fitting a TV mount to a anywhere else nearby as the TV is a 28" and a bit heavier than the last one we had.

I ended up buying and modifying a table leg and adding a bracket to the bottom of the leg then mounting the brackets under the cupboard and on top of the bench. Bought a small TV mount and modified it to suit U-Bolts and it stays put 24/7.

The U-Bolts can be loosened when we setup incase we want to spin it around to watch while in bed :)

Img_0556.jpg Img_0557.jpg

On our previous 16.49.3 we had a mount very similar to the one @MDS69 has and mounted similar to @chartrock 's with extra timber supports behind. Used a tie-down strap with a couple of "D" Hooks screwed to the wall to keep it in place while traveling.... Like @Crusty181 I would leave it mounted if traveling rough!

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
@dagree thanks, it looks like everyone has a different way of doing it! Think I have seen those table legs at bunnings. Waiting for the tv to arrive so I can get a better idea of how I will mount it, but have lots of options now!

Thanks.:)

Reactions: dagree
Feb 21, 2014
Wimmera in Victoria
Our TV mount works well,and clears the bench. Idea from this forum, thank you, ordered from debetrek in Queensland, its a 24" 12 volt tv, haven't travelled with it attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3811.JPG
    IMG_3811.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 504
  • tele stand.jpg
    tele stand.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 376
Reactions: JT76 and davemc

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I think any of the mounts will be okay. I do personally like the way the Jayco/sphere one locks back. But it's all in how it mounts and supporting the idiot box's weight if you choose to leave it mounted while traveling. Ours has foam blocks that take the weight and then I strap it back against the wall / bracket.

Also consider the things plugged and the strain they induce because inside the tv these connectors are only surface soldered to the circuit board. Excessive vibration and the TV is cactus.