14' Series Best sealant to use and sink question?

Ant

Sep 3, 2017
Cairns
Hi all,
I have sealant separating along the kitchen bench and a cupboard in my 14.44 and was just wondering what would be the best sealant to use as there are so many these days? The cupboard and bench are still firmly locate. I could take it back to my local dealer to have it looked at but I would rather do it myself as I will know the job will be done right....I think!

Also has anyone experienced water going under the edge of the sink where it is sitting flush on the bench top? I have noticed if I splash water from the sink it will go under the sink rim and drip down into a draw. I can see that there is a very small gap between the stainless steel and bench where they meet. Should sealant have been applied when the sink was fitted or do I just need to tighten the sink securing screws?
Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• IMAG1789.jpg
    IMAG1789.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMAG1792.jpg
    IMAG1792.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 284

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They must be enjoying the weekend it seems................................................regards the sink, you could just run a bead of bathroom/kitchen silastic around the edge though I would lift the sink, clean the edge and bench then run a bead on the inside edge of the sink and the press it down onto the bench and apply some weight on it to hold it down while doing up the sink clamps underneath, this should give it a nice clean outer edge which if has pushed out sealant can be cleaned up firstly by spraying with some soapy water then wiping with a damp cloth in one movement with a firm finger pressure to give a nice clean finish. ( it does take a bit of practice )......................before doing any of it check and make sure that the dinky little plastic boxes are all fastened to their respective panels, those little brown things which a panel will pop off when the screws fall out, they hold the cupboards to walls etc,.............the gap between bench and wall can be filled with the same silastic, no need for anything overly expensive just bathroom/kitchen stuff can be in white/ clear or whatever colour, if you clean the area first properly with say turps then wipe down with metho it will stick nicely.......if it's a paper skinned wall then just a wipe with metho lightly, the white gel coat is okay though......

Ant

Sep 3, 2017
Cairns
Cheers Drover,
thanks for the advice. I will tackle it this week some time.
It's a shame the don't seal think sinks up when they install them.
Thanks again.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I was worried that our sink was just put in place and secured by the retaining clips and was not sealed. Got all fired up about slack workmanship and started going down the path of sealing it properly.

First step was to have a good look. When I did so I found that there was a foam strip sealing the gap between the bench top and sink. So, all was well!

I would suggest having a good look underneath to see if the sealing strip has been installed or not. If it is still under warranty, I would let your Jayco dealer to sort it out.

Otherwise, I would investigate why the sealing strip is not doing its job before filling the gap with sealant. The sealant may well pull the laminate off the bench top if you need to pull the sink out in the future.

cheers
Mike

Ant

Sep 3, 2017
Cairns
Awesome Mike, I will have a look at it tomorrow if I get the time and see if there is a foam seal in place. I appreciate you telling me this as I didn't know they installed one under sinks, makes sense though.
Cheers!

Reactions: mikerezny

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep @Ant , they can just get a kink or rot in them and allow a leak or one of the clamps can get loose allowing the seal to fail, either way lifting the sink is the way to go, running sealant around the outside edge is not a good move, which is what may happen if it went for a service, bathroom/kitchen silastic won't bother the laminex at all....

Ant

Sep 3, 2017
Cairns
So I "finally" got around to sealing the sink lip. Looks like they forgot to install the foam seal that goes between the kitchen top and stainless sink lip. I could go down the path of chasing one up but in the end I pulled the sink top out and ran a bead of clear neutral cure silicon along the edge of the sink cutout. I then placed the sink top back in place which sandwiched the silicon resulting in a good seal. A little squeezed out from under the lip but was easy to clean up.
Just thought I would let people know that some sinks out there may not have the foam seal in place...my sink install at Jayco command must have happened on a Friday arv just before beer o'clock!
Cheers.