18' Series Best Floor for Annex

Tuppy

Oct 22, 2016
Adelaide
Didn't realise the grey side needed to face upwards? :oops:
Have used it both ways without noticing any difference!
I haven't tried it green side up. I just went by the instructions, and assumed it only worked one way because of the weave pattern, or something or other? My van, being black and silver, doesn't look out of place grey side up, but I'd have thought the green side was made to look like grass?

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
well there you go

I always put green side up

I know the sand does not come up through it that way - so I wonder why Grey side up.........?

I learnt that the green goes down when we first used it at Christmas. Only realised because the label and d loops were upside down.

I had assumed that it would only work 1 way but haven't tested it with green up.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
See the Aldi one is just so much easier, you blokes just like to do things the hard way all the time, just grab my Aldi mat, throw it on the ground and nail it down, grab beer walk to beach, only thing I have to do is sweep the grass off if I track it in.....................sand and other crap falls thru...bird poo doesn't though.............

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
I have a relatively small Aldi mat (approx 2m x2m from memory) as well (cost $25) which we recently used in Walpole. I notice the sand certainly went through the mat and just the larger stones were on top but easy to sweep off; this mat was far better than the mat we previously used. In our Annex we use the rubber mat you buy from BCF, Bunnings, van stores etc but as mentioned by others this matting is relatively heavy. If Aldi have a large sized mat I would certainly buy one; maybe one day I would invest in the CGear mat especially when we start the Grey Nomad trip(s).

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Mmmmm

In another post, I said I'd would be checking out the cheaper matting sold via 4wdsupacentre.

I finally managed to be in the area when they had some in stock so had a good look at it. 3m x 3m.

My feeling is that it's not suitable for the annex floor area as its slightly slippery and could be a bit hard on the bare feet. It would work but there are better options. Their previous 5x2 size doesn't seem to be offered now ...you'd need that for an awning.

However, I think it's perfectly suited to bush camping ...which I suppose is what it's designed for...as the dirt, sand and stuff just falls through and it looks to be easy to clean. It may need pegging down and has reasonable eyelets for that.

I bought one....it's lightweight and very easy to fold and throw in the car so my heavier matting etc can now stay at home.

I'll give it a go and if it's rubbish (I don't think it is) it only cost about $35

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Didn't realise the grey side needed to face upwards? :oops:
Only in the northern hemisphere ... green up, your good

I can't believe you didn't know that .... what a dill. Ive always had my grey facing upwards, always (maybe only because I thought it looked like cheap green shade mesh otherwise, and I paid big bucks so I wanted to avoid confusion)

I sewed a piece of cheap Bunnings shade mesh in half, and made a "knock off" little 6x4 CrustyGear mat for overnighters so I didn't have to roll out the MCG sized CGear (Thats Melb Cricket Ground, greatest sporting mecca in the cosmos) Also handy for throwing under the van or car to do any work, and as great drone launch pad on sandy or dusty ground

Last edited:

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
So, I thought I'd re gather this thread for opinion out there re what I'm about to let in on. Mrs Pace is a chronic asthmatic and getting her out camping when we meet all those years ago on our inaugural coastal hoping trip I must say she has been a trooper.

With asthma sufferers, grass is a major trigger (don't wont to hear what happens when the weather changes quickly and dark clouds roll in, ah Melbourne!!!), and given the amounts of grass you experience whilst out camping/ caravan parks you can say you’re asking for it. We dreed when the park curator comes by with their lawn mower to cut the grass once someone in your bay leaves in readiness for a new camper to pull in.

We currently try to get slabbed or hard ground sites. When we have the annexe up for longer trips away we use blue trap from Reject Shop/ SCA and its sight unseen from the park rangers (usually as this can leave the grass yellowed starving the air). You see once the annexe is enclosed, you can pretty much put money on it Mrs Pace breathing is affected with 3 minutes of the annexe being enclosed, yes even with the windowed walls open too.

So I'm putting out there for some feedback, re the grass smell campers endure and the dampness under their matting. While we at the leisure show last week we saw this product http://www.eaglecampertrailers.com.au/about-us/indoor-outdoor-mats which is closely woven, very flexible, stylish matting.

Opinions appreciated. Thx Pace and Mrs Pace

Reactions: Lozza T

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
So, I thought I'd re gather this thread for opinion out there re what I'm about to let in on. Mrs Pace is a chronic asthmatic and getting her out camping when we meet all those years ago on our inaugural coastal hoping trip I must say she has been a trooper.

With asthma sufferers, grass is a major trigger (don't wont to hear what happens when the weather changes quickly and dark clouds roll in, ah Melbourne!!!), and given the amounts of grass you experience whilst out camping/ caravan parks you can say you’re asking for it. We dreed when the park curator comes by with their lawn mower to cut the grass once someone in your bay leaves in readiness for a new camper to pull in.

We currently try to get slabbed or hard ground sites. When we have the annexe up for longer trips away we use blue trap from Reject Shop/ SCA and its sight unseen from the park rangers (usually as this can leave the grass yellowed starving the air). You see once the annexe is enclosed, you can pretty much put money on it Mrs Pace breathing is affected with 3 minutes of the annexe being enclosed, yes even with the windowed walls open too.

So I'm putting out there for some feedback, re the grass smell campers endure and the dampness under their matting. While we at the leisure show last week we saw this product http://www.eaglecampertrailers.com.au/about-us/indoor-outdoor-mats which is closely woven, very flexible, stylish matting.

Opinions appreciated. Thx Pace and Mrs Pace

I think anything that works to help you both enjoy your camping is worth pursuing.

It appears to be a bit heavier than the cgear and similar or am I misreading the info?

I'm assuming you need something that restricts mildew, dampness and the spores that aggravate the asthma? The description for this matting addresses these. I'd also be interested in hearing of anyone who's tried it, or likely to.

Reactions: dagree

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
@bigcol So further to my post we've had success with annexe matting. We purchase from KMart spring 2017 outdoor flooring (which is now discontinued, couldn't find it on the website), and having just returned from 2 week away trip. Can absolutely say from this trip away this flooring is great and durable.

Mrs Pace had no issues with her asthma and it even brightened up the annexe (then the usual tarp blue). We had 3 of them from the back of the cubby to the tip of the porch (http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/paces-17-56-2-touring.2779/page-2#post-186014 ). The width was perfect and had overlap length wise, which was double sown edged.

annexe flooring.jpg

Pace.