Interior Bed Ends getting wet overnight

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
On a recent trip to QLD, the bend ends got very wet and water dripped onto those sleeping underneath. We do not have a hard lid and so try not to put the flies on for an overnight but would this stop it?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Yes they will. We had a non-hard lid expanda prior to the current one. If only staying one night and rain was imminent I used to throw a tarpaulin over the bed end/s just in case

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
On a recent trip to QLD, the bend ends got very wet and water dripped onto those sleeping underneath. We do not have a hard lid and so try not to put the flies on for an overnight but would this stop it?

That surprises me a bit as our old Swan and Flite were often used overnight without the flies to protect. As we tend to attract rain, often, we were a bit wary but never really had a problem with leaking. The flies were used more to cool down the bed ends, as well as for rain protection.

I'd be having a really good look at the canvas for leaks and, if ok, hit it with waterproofing spray. Also check the seams as that could be the problem. If a bit worn or sad, use the candle wax trick.

Good luck with it. (A cheap blue tarp has multiple uses...that could be one of them)

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Or it could be condensation.

Was it actually raining?

Condensation is common if all the windows are closed up, particularly in our high humidity.

:bathbaby:

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Sorry, I was not clear. It was condensation. It was not rain and that definitely does not come through. Even packed up wet on the way home as it was raining in Peak Hill and the mattress was dry when i opened the bed end when i got home to dry it out.

It is definitely condensation building up and forming beads that drop.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Sorry, I was not clear. It was condensation. It was not rain and that definitely does not come through. Even packed up wet on the way home as it was raining in Peak Hill and the mattress was dry when i opened the bed end when i got home to dry it out.

It is definitely condensation building up and forming beads that drop.
You need to open up the ends a little for ventilation. I always opened the one just above my head in our expanda and some in the poptop skirt . It definately helps.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Aaaahhhhh.....that makes it easier.

Yes, definately remember to keep poptop skirt open on awning side and a window if possible and avoid the condensation.

It's the humidity that does it!

There's got to be one drawback of living or visiting up here....and that's one.

:argue:

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
Copped a bit of rain on the weekend at Taggerty. First night small pool of water on rear bed end, second night little pool of water on front bed end. Both have hard lids and privacy screens.

Any thoughts on how the water gets in? Does it run along the hard lids maybe?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Only ever had that once with our 17.56.2 OB and the only place I could see where it came from was the edge of the hard lid hinge or possible leak through the hinge?

Haven't had it happen again but will look into a fix if it does.

Reactions: DWWood

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
I have had water pool on our canvas under the hard lid several times. I haven't worked out if it is through the hinge or tracking down like @dagree has suggested but what I am going to do is lower the bottom gas strut mount so the lid isn't horizontal but have a slight slope to the front for run off as has been mentioned on the forum before.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Couple of thoughts I have had for mine if it starts happening again are:
1. Mount a length of sail track along the top of the hinge extending past the hinge to act as a gutter.
2. Fit sail track above the hinge on the van and another length under the hinge on the bed lid. Then get some vinyl (Or similar) cut to shape and sail rope fitted and fit it as a cover over the hinge. Make sense?

Failing that I like @MDS69 's option of lowering the angle of the bed lid!

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
Good suggestions thanks gents, the front lids sits relatively horizontal but the rear is on an angle. Silly thing is the rear one didn't do it the second night.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Couple of thoughts I have had for mine if it starts happening again are:

2. Fit sail track above the hinge on the van and another length under the hinge on the bed lid. Then get some vinyl (Or similar) cut to shape and sail rope fitted and fit it as a cover over the hinge. Make sense?

this is what they do on the Coromal's................. and my next mod (when I get the courage to drill more holes..............

coromal transforma.jpg

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
this is what they do on the Coromal's................. and my next mod (when I get the courage to drill more holes..............
Yep... Very similar to what I was thinking of. Damn I thought I might have got a patent on it ;)

No need for courage. Just make sure you measure twice, have a sharp drill, don't use too much pressure and have plenty of sikaflex
!

Reactions: Delano