Electrical Battery switch position while on 240

Shane Warren

Nov 12, 2017
Mackay Qld
Hi guys, new owner and I have had a look but can't find anything. I'm having troubles with the battery charging and I am wondering if the battery switch needs to be in the on or off position while it's connected to 240. I know the 240 should charge the battery via the setec but what position should the battery switch be in to charge the battery, on or off. I am going to get out the multi meter to check charge rate but I thought I would ask about this switch. Previous owner changed some wiring to run fridge directly of the incoming 12 volts from Anderson plug from the cars alternator I think so I am checking with him as to what he did. Won't be much wrong but it's all new to me. Thanks Shane.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi @Shane Warren,
welcome to the forum.

The Setec unit is both a power supply AND a battery charger. When the battery switch is in the OFF position, the battery is isolated from the rest of the system. The battery will not power any of the 12V items in the van AND the Setec unit will only trickle charge the battery at 0.8A and not at the full rate.

I assume you have a SETEC ST-III which is available in two variants 20A or 35A.

Here is an relevant exerpt from the manual:

NOTE: When the battery is isolated from the loads using the battery isolate switch it will NOT charge at the 10/15 A rate even if the mains is connected to the power supply. In this condition it will ONLY charge at the Trickle charge rate.

It is normal for the 12V fridge to be wired directly to the tug battery either via the 12-pin plug or a separate Anderson plug. Note that if you have a 3-way fridge the current draw on 12V is 15A or more depending on the model of fridge you have. This will flatten a car battery in a few hours or more. It is strongly recommended that you wire in a VSR or a normal relay that will only power the fridge when the engine is running to avoid stopping along the way and finding out you have a flat battery.

Likewise, it is most uncommon to use the van battery to power the fridge. Normally, vans are fitted with a battery with a capacity of around 100Ah. If the fridge draw is 15A, you will get a little over 3 hours before you are down to about 50% State of Charge (SOC). This is about the maximum you would want to discharge a deep cycle battery if you want to get a reasonable life from it.

I hope this helps. Ask away if you need have any further questions or clarification.

cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Boots in Action

Shane Warren

Nov 12, 2017
Mackay Qld
Thanks Mike for the welcome and the help. This will be the problem. I have had the switch off while on 240 and it's not connected to 240 all the time.

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
We have the new J-Hub system and the dealer told me to leave battery switch on all times unless you wish to work on the battery system.

Reactions: Marv_mart

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi @Mick,
hmm. I can understand the reasoning for giving that advice.
However, leaving the battery switch in the on position, there may be current being drawn from the battery all the time.

The Setec unit draws some power and I suspect the Drifter panel does as well. Occasionally something in the van is inadvertently left switched on.

This will not likely be a problem when the van is stored AND it is left connected to 240V or, if you have roof-mounted solar, the van is parked where the panels are in the sun. In both cases, the battery is being topped up. But if neither is the case, you may well find you have a flat and possibly dead battery if it is kept in storage for a lengthy period.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: Mick

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
yes it does have roof solar and have been checking the J-HUB display the battery is always sitting at 98% and sitting in full sun all day as for ready to hook up and go if going on a long trip its plugged into 240 for the fridge to get cold as this system is new to me not sure how i will store it during winter as it will have the cover on i guess the plugging in to 240 to keep the battery topped up over winter

Last edited:
Reactions: mikerezny

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I have found that with my Penguin, if I leave the battery switch "on", the Pioneer radio still uses power even if it is "off", but obviously it is still utilizing some power (approx 250ma) all the time for memory etc. This does reduce battery voltage if battery left without charging over extended time. To overcome this little problem, I remove fuse for radio and that lets me keep power switch "on". Lets me use 240 volt power through Setec or more often, I just plug in my 15 amp 7 stage battery charger which gives better results than the Setec anyway. I replace fuse again before departing on next trip.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
For storage I find either use the solar to keep the battery charged or plugging into 240 and battery switched on is the best way to keep things in top shape, if plugging into 240 for battery charging a 15 amp socket isn't needed at all.................just make sure you have turned off the HWS if plugging into 240, something that should be done when breaking camp.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
just make sure you have turned off the HWS if plugging into 240, something that should be done when breaking camp.
Steady on @Drover , I only have a Penguin which does not have any of the luxuries (which I don't need anyway!) that you are able to have in "Big Mal". But the point is well taken.
I agree that for storage, the Setec will do the job adequately for float charging over a long period. My smart charger will get up to the proper charging/absorption voltage of around 14.7 volts to ensure MAXIMUM energy is stored BEFORE dropping back to float voltage of around 13.7 volts. The Setec only charges to 14.1 volts before dropping back to float voltage of 13.6 volts. That is the ONLY reason I like to use my charger after any outing away, although my MPPT solar controller takes voltage up to 14.6 volts before dropping to float voltage.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Steady on @Drover , I only have a Penguin which does not have any of the luxuries (which I don't need anyway!) that you are able to have in "Big Mal".

Hi @Boots in Action,
one day @Drover might see the light and upgrade BigMal to a Penguin and enjoy the 360 degree views and all the other features you and I enjoy. :behindsofa::behindsofa::bolt:

cheers
Mike

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
far too much work to set up camp guys (@mikerezny & @Boots in Action )

pull up at camp
wind it up
pull out beds
pull out bed flys
wind out awning
peg down bed flys
peg down awning

or

pull up, and make a brew..............
Hi @bigcol,
with a Penguin, it is so much simpler, no bed ends, so bed is always permanently made up inside the van.
pull up at camp
wind it up
set up door
drop down jacks

If no shady spot (shady spots are much easier to get into with a small Penguin!)
wind out awning
peg down awning

Set up chairs
put cheese or hummus on biscuits
take cider out of fridge and pour into glasses.
sit down and watch the big tandems trying to back into a level spot so they don't have to put the jockey wheel on and unhitch to get level.

Having said all that, I looked at some small single axle Jayco Starcrafts with a double bed, shower and toilet and they looked real nice!!!!
But still having too much fun with the Penguin to be thinking seriously about downgrading and then having to join the Tare, ATM, Group Axle loading, towball weights brigade. :):):)

cheers
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I started out with a simple swag, ( actually a ground sheet and sometimes a double blanket as mattress) sleeping on ground, then progressed to a 2 man tent - still on the ground, then progressed to Hoochie only sometimes on ground, still too close to things that crawl but at least I could shoot back, then back to tent but larger with little people running around, sleep on stretchers, borrow van off Dad sometimes, off road camper, very cool but set up a pain, rain a pain and overnight stops more pain, then along came "" The Tardis" a fantastic 14.44.3, bed with mattress, fridge, stove and toilet and shower, HWS this is heaven can park up for a week, no need for shovel with 4x4 roll on handle or dodgy dunny seat in bush, no shower bag to be kept on the sun, pull up and sit back having a beer in 20 mins, camp set up, heaven............
but after 3 mths on the road the walls were closing in, along came BIg Mal, all 22ft, big bed, big shower, Huge fridge, cold nights at St George in July, 2 couples inside van with heater going having a few and theres heaps of room..............3 mins from parking beer in hand and feet up........can sit on my lounge and look out across the water thru my big glass window...................no need whatsoever to down size and after 60 years of camping have no intention..........and as an old sailor I pull up with Big Mal if not going to be level throw a chock out and using the Mk I eyeball have it levelled up in the time needed to pop a ring pull..............shade doesn't bother me.....I have a Honda.
Mind a Penguin for a quick couple of nights on Teewah Beach could be handy, better than sleeping on the ground and I can always do the 20 min drive home if it get's yucky.
Oh don't get me started on the lighting or food over those years.....thats another thread entirely....

Last edited:

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi @Drover,
really interesting and entertaining to read stories like these. Please keep it up!

Hey, you will be proud of me. Went to Bayswater Jayco today. Looked around the SH area and there was an older model touring Penguin.
Looked at the description sheet and they listed that it had the option of underslung axles. I now know what that means. But, I thought, it ain't any higher off the ground then my Penguin. Ran my hands inside the mudguards and thought, if it was underslung, it must have been tight in there when it was normal. Still curious to see how it was underslung, I laid down and had a look underneath AND it wasn't. Just plain old normal suspension and no one around the sales yard seemed to have noticed.

So, thanks guys, all the effort you have spent training me over the past year and a bit are slowly paying off!!

Now back to those promised food and lighting stories.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: bigcol

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
far too much work to set up camp guys (@mikerezny & @Boots in Action )

pull up at camp
wind it up
pull out beds
pull out bed flys
wind out awning
peg down bed flys
peg down awning

or

pull up, and make a brew..............

@bigcol , I am afraid you are not up with the benefits of the Penguin. Penguins have NO WINGS ( to pull out for beds) just like the Antarctic birds, so lines # 3, 4 & 6 DO NOT apply. Indeed with @mikerezny Penguin, he does not have to peg down his awning unless very windy. I do have a roll out awning which must be pegged down, but in both cases, we do not have to have to set up the awning at all, just make the brew and sit inside and admire the ALL ROUND view. The extra luxury fittings are what you can enjoy, whilst we Penguin owners take in the outside happenings in all directions. Not hard to do for us "little fellas" who can get into places not recommended for you "big guys". But to each his own, depending on lifestyle requirements and and financial situation. Cheers

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I am afraid you are not up with the benefits of the Penguin

Penguin.....
small squishy thing that Canadians chase with hockey sticks...............

or

small squishy van comfortable only for 2 midgets................

I have YET to find a road, track, beach, I cannot drag my 16' panda (only because I have the mighty TD42 to tow with)

what ever floats ones boat is fine by me..........................................