Battery Options??

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
I'm looking at an AGM deep cycle battery for our van, has anyone used one and have any advice?

What other types of battery are you guys using and what do you think of them?

Cheers!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have a 120A/H AGM buried under the wardrobe in my van. I can just forget it is there except for an occasional voltage check. They don't give off fumes, don't leak, don't require any topping up and are so damn heavy they help keep the back of the van down. :peace:

Wouldn't swap it for any other type.

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
We have ordered solar for our 17-56-2 from Jayco. The salesperson advised us to go with the AGM battery as it will outlast any other battery and a lot better quality and last longer.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
I had a Remco battery in my hawk for 6 years without any drama. The main thing is to ensure you look after your battery by keeping it charged while not in use. I would occasionally let my battery run down and then recharge using the caravan charger. I only ever used the standard charger supplied with the van.
I can't see any issues without having a battery box. I would have the battery tied down though.
The cheapest place I found batteries in Melbourne
is Indipendant Battery Distributors (IBD) in Little Boundary Road Laverton.
I have purchased a few batteries from these guys over the years and they were always cheaper than the rest.
Big range of of stuff too.
Your going to love your 17.56-2 they are a great van

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I ordered the van set up for a battery and told them I had a 120 ah AGM and gave them the measurements. On pick-up I handed the dealer the battery and they dropped it into a battery box already fitted under the wardrobe and then connected it up for me. All part of the hand over.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I can't see any issues without having a battery box. I would have the battery tied down though.
I believe the purpose of the battery box is to provide a good tie down, and so that nothing else comes in contact with it, either knocking in to the sides and fatiguing the plastic, or the terminals. So if no battery box, just make sure it is still protected.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
I believe the purpose of the battery box is to provide a good tie down, and so that nothing else comes in contact with it, either knocking in to the sides and fatiguing the plastic, or the terminals. So if no battery box, just make sure it is still protected.

good advice straydingo while a battery box may not be necessary it is certainly very desirable. also note that all sealed batteries have a pressure relief valve which can under abnormal circumstances discharge from the battery. While this may not be a common problem i would rather the battery in a box just in case.

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
To my surprise I pulled into truck bits today and they sell a box that is perfect for the 130amp battery, now just the long wait to pick up the van so I can play with the new toys.