18' Series Battery chargers

JMS Project

Jun 14, 2015
Dayboro
Hi all

We have recently ordered a new Expanda Outback 18.58-1 from the Brissy show. We added a few extras on the deal we made at the show, and we are about to go into the dealer to chat about the final build and discuss any further changes/additions.

1 of the things I'd like to ask the boarder community on this great site is, we are upgrading the battery system to 2 x 100A batteries, and increasing the solar from the 120w to the 150w. Would anyone suggest I should get a charger installed ? I've had the Projecta Intelli-charger previously on camper trailers.

Cheers

JMS Project

Jun 14, 2015
Dayboro
Ok. I looked whilst at the show and couldn't find the system so wasn't sure. I'd guessed that there probably should be something but couldn't find anything.

Being that I am upgrading to 2 batteries, would you say that the charger that comes with it would be enough ?

Thanks heaps.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Being a new model Expanda you will probably find the Setec unit is a 15amp/hr battery charger, using the 10% rule this is sufficient to charge 150 amps of batteries no worries, I would say that your 200amps of batteries should be fine being looked after buy an 15amp/hr charger with 150w of solar on the roof.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi all

We have recently ordered a new Expanda Outback 18.58-1 from the Brissy show. We added a few extras on the deal we made at the show, and we are about to go into the dealer to chat about the final build and discuss any further changes/additions.

1 of the things I'd like to ask the boarder community on this great site is, we are upgrading the battery system to 2 x 100A batteries, and increasing the solar from the 120w to the 150w. Would anyone suggest I should get a charger installed ? I've had the Projecta Intelli-charger previously on camper trailers.

Cheers
Howdy, congrats on the new van. I have 240amp/hr in batteries, the 150w solar, and it all seems to work fine from the Setec

JMS Project

Jun 14, 2015
Dayboro
Thanks heaps...

Are yours after market batteries ? 2 x 120 A ?

Most of my trips will be free camping, so wanting as much as I can. Was considering going with 2 x 150 w panels on the roof, but I have a folding panel from the old camper trailer days, so guessing I can top up with that if I need to.

I used to use a Projecta Intelli Charge system with the camper trailer, but it wasn't hard wired. It's a great charger, but it's huge. I see the Ctek chargers are quite slimline, so guessing maybe a reason Jayco go with these. Obviously a decent unit too.

Steve

JMS Project

Jun 14, 2015
Dayboro
Just another question for All....

Can you give me any tips or ideas that you wished you had have done or included during the build of your van, given you had your time over again ? Or owners who purchased 2nd hand, and have added your extras/toys ?

Steve

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Thanks heaps...

Most of my trips will be free camping, so wanting as much as I can. Was considering going with 2 x 150 w panels on the roof, but I have a folding panel from the old camper trailer days, so guessing I can top up with that if I need to.

I used to use a Projecta Intelli Charge system with the camper trailer, but it wasn't hard wired. It's a great charger, but it's huge. I see the Ctek chargers are quite slimline, so guessing maybe a reason Jayco go with these. Obviously a decent unit too.

Steve

@JMS Project mate you are getting confused, Jayco don't install Ctek chargers in there van they use a Setec module that not only charges the battery it is also the unit that drops your in coming 240V power to 12V for lights etc.

Have a look here http://www.setec.com.au/jayco-customers/

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
There is no need for a Ctek or a Projecta intelli charger in Jaycos but in saying that some people do put them in. I too have a 25amp Projecta Intelli charger at home from my camper trailer days, they are an awesome unit but I doubt I will ever need to use it on the Expanda. Now days it gets more use keeping the boat battery and my Thumper topped up.

JMS Project

Jun 14, 2015
Dayboro
Yeah rights thanks heaps for the advice.

Kids games, iPads, etc etc, extra Engel beer fridge, bla bla bla... No doubt I won't be the only expanda owner that learns by trial and error. But this site is great for advice. Thanks again

Steve

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks heaps...

Steve
I have one Jayco unbranded 120ah and a Fullriver 120ah. The Setec units are a very good integrated smart charger and power supply, and its smart charging capability has kept my older Fullriver very healthy. I opted to size up the std 120w solar panel to 150w, but the cost of a second solar panel (from the factory) was more expensive the the generator I carry anyway. If I find I need another panel (which I doubt) Ill source a cheapy from eBay. The wiring is already there with the factory one anyway, so the addon is simple enough.

I added, ext drawbar, Ibis aircon, oven, annex, Drifter control panel, outside folding table (must get), Winegard (crap but better then nothing) additional GPO's and 12v, outdoor TV unit, Fusion stereo. My only regret was forgetting 16in rims, and an off side annex light.

Reactions: boots33