Suspension Bald flat spot on tyre

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Just noticed a single bald flat spot to the front near side tyre on my year old caravan with approx 10,000km.
All other tyres are ok and the rest of this tyre has normal tread.
Only thing I can think of is that the brake may have locked on for some reason and I have dragged the caravan for some distance.
Just jacked up the wheel and it's free wheeling ok.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 698

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
More than likely a lock up, if it was lumpy you would have felt it, (a constant shudder) just do a brake adjust................though it can happen if you brake hard while on uneven road, one wheel can be off the road and lock up momentarily and chew the tread.............if you look at the road surface on rural roads you may notice little skid marks, these usually show dips in the road that trailer wheels pass over and skid/lock up when they meet the tar again, thats what happens when braking on these undulating surfaces, just keep an eye on it or rotate your spare, if it happens again then you have a brake that needs adjusting...................

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Decided to swap it with the spare and will monitor that wheel closely. Also slackened off the brake a turn just in case it was binding. I suspect that the tyres fitted as standard aren't that great although never had any issues with my Swan.

Reactions: Jags73 and Base23

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Decided to swap it with the spare and will monitor that wheel closely. Also slackened off the brake a turn just in case it was binding. I suspect that the tyres fitted as standard aren't that great although never had any issues with my Swan.
Sounds like the correct thing to do.
I also think the factory tyres are very average

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Just noticed a single bald flat spot to the front near side tyre on my year old caravan with approx 10,000km.
All other tyres are ok and the rest of this tyre has normal tread.
Only thing I can think of is that the brake may have locked on for some reason and I have dragged the caravan for some distance.
Just jacked up the wheel and it's free wheeling ok.
Any ideas?
That's some fast wear @pauljygrant .
Cheap Chinese tyres will sometimes have a shallower tread
On them .
So a slight lock up could easily cause that.
I'm gonna replace ours with a name brand when they're due
Eg Goodyear Dunlop or Bridgestone , much better quality
In my eyes and not much dearer.
Also buying tyres from suppliers like Beaurepaires or Bridgestone
You know you'll get an Australia wide guarantee .
What suspension setup do you have?
Maybe a worn shocker?

Reactions: dagree

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
That's some fast wear @pauljygrant .
Cheap Chinese tyres will sometimes have a shallower tread
On them .
So a slight lock up could easily cause that.
I'm gonna replace ours with a name brand when they're due
Eg Goodyear Dunlop or Bridgestone , much better quality
In my eyes and not much dearer.
Also buying tyres from suppliers like Beaurepaires or Bridgestone
You know you'll get an Australia wide guarantee .
What suspension setup do you have?
Maybe a worn shocker?
Just standard leaf springs and no shocks - it's not an outback model. Does have the under slung axle for ground clearance. Pity it's only got 14" wheels so that rules out light truck tyres as an option.

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Just standard leaf springs and no shocks - it's not an outback model. Does have the under slung axle for ground clearance. Pity it's only got 14" wheels so that rules out light truck tyres as an option.
@pauljygrant being a 21ft van the tyres should already be light truck.
Also being 2015 van I would've thought they'd be a minimum 15"
My 2014 16-49-4 has got 215/70R15 light truck.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It's just a lock up, which the same thing can happen with a big dollar all singing tyre, to check the tyre, jack it up, set a hammer on it's head with handle up sitting about 4mm off the tread and spin the tyre this will show you if the tyre is out of shape, do it on the side as well but with an alloy rim I doubt it would be warped.
If you want to replace all the rubber go for a highway type tread pattern, they will wear better than an off road tread which is of no use on a trailer and can chop out quickly.
Just throw it on the spare until the others wear out.

Reactions: bigcol

Imo

Aug 17, 2016
Banora point
Google the difference between light truck LT and special trailer ST tyres. My understanding is ST tyres run cooler, carry heavier loads etc. designed for being towed. May help you decide before buying new tyres.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
@pauljygrant Not sure if you're still reading this post but I have the same on one of mine... My leaf springs sheared the centre locating pin on this wheel...I wouldn't be surprised if the flat spot is where the axle moved and braked on the chassis, hence wear on one spot on the tyre...

Please check that you're leaf springs are OK (especially that the centre bolt is still there)... and the U-bolts are tight.

Reactions: KECL and bigcol