Axl's MY17 LS-M daul cab D-Max

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I've been wanting a D-Max for a while after seeing them in caravan parks on my travels and two weeks ago I brought a Venetian Red 2017 LS-M dual cab with a 2018 build date, I'm looking forward to adding the modifications as time and money permit.
The mods start next week when the tub comes of and an alloy tray and a alloy checker plate three door canopy goes on, the canopy also has a fridge slide in it for the Engel and three roof racks which will accommodate the boat loader and my tinny when we travel.
After that a H/D Hayman Recce towbar gets fitted along with a Redarc Tow-Pro Elite controller so I can tow the Expanda.
Once I settle these bills I plan on adding a bull bar, side steps, UHF and dual battery system with the battery sitting in the back next to the fridge. The battery will go in once the canopy is on however it wont be hooked up to the planned Projecta DC/DC/Solar 25amp controller for a while yet so Ill use my solar panels to charge it for now.
That's the current plan but as time goes on I'm sure ill find other mods to do, a couple of pics of what it looks like at the moment.

20180406_130415.jpg
20180406_130429.jpg
20180406_130649 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
The mods are in full swing, tray and canopy are on and a HD Hayman Reece tow bar has been fitted with a Tow Pro Elite brake controller installed. Next up is a full suspension upgrade, Bilstien shocks all round Kings HT coils on the front and Formula 450/500kg leafs on the rear with a 40mm lift.

20180429_124304.jpg
20180430_093944.jpg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
Cooloola Coast, QLD
www.expandasdownunder.com
Looking schmicko, with the suspension if your not going to add a heavy bar or winch don't go the heavier springs on the front, stay standard rate springs just get the extra bit of lift or you will thump around at the front, mine has the next rate up from standard and even with the light weight genuine bar it's flamin hard on the front and will be getting it changed later, King springs on the front of mine............... have put up with it for a long time and it's a pain.........make sure greasable shackles also.
Collect some of that 15mm sheet styro that they use in packing of big stuff makes a good roof liner in the shed on back, they get exceedingly hot at times.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Cheers guys, @caax hard to tell but it already has the darkest factory tint available. I quite like it as it is not to dark at night my last tug had very dark tint which was a pain at night.
@Drover, I'm not sure how I'm going to insulate the canopy as yet but I've been looking at several products from Kingspan that will do the job or maybe something similar to what they heat shield the likes hot machinery and engine components with. This is available in rolls and could be glued to the inside of the canopy as required Kevlar Heat Shield, It wont be a cheap exercise but the end result should be worth it. The King coils on the front are progressive and once I add the bullbar (ECB alloy unit at 45kgs) they should sag 5-10mm which after the 40mm lift is what I will be after.
I have mounted the underslung tool boxes on each side but have removed them for now so the boys can get at the suspension bolts a bit easier when it goes in for the upgrade tomorrow, these will fill in the void at the back and will complete the over all look of the canopy. The new rims have been ordered but have a 6 week wait.
I hooked the boat up last week, it weighs about 1.7t and the D-max didn't even know it was there. I am doing a 700klm round trip with the boat in tow in two weeks time so this will be a good test to see how it travels after the suspension upgrade and how the fuel economy stacks up.
That's all for now until I can pay a few bills, bullbar and side steps will be next UHF install, dual battery system and canopy insulation to follow.
MRT2S_a-510x338.jpg Underslung tool boxes ef933356-895a-485c-ac25-df8aaddce757_1.jpg ROH Terrain rims

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
Cooloola Coast, QLD
I'll get the number of my springs for you, my bar would be around 45kg or more, and they don't sag i can tell you. Before you line the interior of your shed if your going the $$$$$ way then make sure you have your roof fittings done first, I have spring clips and a carry net fitted for those annoying get in the way long things to be kept in check as well as LED light strips and cabling, $5 for 10 mts on ebay for the led's.

Just checked 168HT is the spring ID, too hard.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I'll get the number of my springs for you, my bar would be around 45kg or more, and they don't sag i can tell you. Before you line the interior of your shed if your going the $$$$$ way then make sure you have your roof fittings done first, I have spring clips and a carry net fitted for those annoying get in the way long things to be kept in check as well as LED light strips and cabling, $5 for 10 mts on ebay for the led's.

Just checked 168HT is the spring ID, too hard.

Cheers @Drover, I am unsure what rating the fronts are as I am at work ATM and I cant remember what we discussed. The suspension upgrade has been done, the front went up the quoted 40mm but the back went up 110mm.....o_O
This gives me approximately 5mm clearance from the top of my rear roof rack to the bottom of my house bearers we are not exactly sure I even have that as yet as the wife and my dad are to scared to try to inch it under the house. It can to stay out till I get home later in the week as I need to relocate the four flouro's that are on the bearers under there anyway, I hope to get 5-10mm settle once the rears springs get a bit of load on them.
I need to get the D-max weighed so I know where I am with my GVM as I continue to add weight to it so I will hook the Expanda up and get all of the weights done at once. Hopefully after a bit off running around with the Expanda hooked up and a 700klm round trip with the boat in tow at the end of the month it will settle enough to fit comfortably, if not I'll get 20mm taken out of the roof rack legs.

Just when you think you are on top of it all it turns around and bites you in the proverbial.....>:(it never :censored: stops.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
Cooloola Coast, QLD
I can't remember what mine was pushed up, I wrote it down but on the old shed wall and since we have moved, well !!!!!!!!! but I'm certain the rear settled around the 80 mm mark somewhere but I have a steel tray, the front certainly sits higher on mine, I will have to do something with it as I've lost too much extension on the front end as well as being hard...........

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Suspension upgrade is complete, Bilstein shocks all round Kings 168HT comfort tapper coils on the front and Formula 500kg constants on the rear. As you can see the rear is sitting proud at the moment I need to hook the van up and take it for a run to settle the rear springs down a bit.
Now this job is complete I can mount the tapered under body tool boxes which will fill in the space just past the rear guard and complete the look I was after.
Lift.jpg

Last edited: