Awning Slide out poles falling off?? Seeking advice??

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi guys and Girls.

Once again I was tinkering with my new {second hand} 2009 14.4.2. outback expanda.

I thought I`d extend my awning out to see how it all works.

I pulled the roller part out, everything went fine.

But when I uncliped the feet of the uprights to stand them on the ground, I saw my other sets of poles [the ones attached to the top of the sidewall on van} slide down the track and actually fall out.

I`m not sure if the track in the arm is too worn, or weather the little metal foot inside the track has worn.

Has anyone else had this experience?

If so, can you tell me what you did to fix it?

I`m thinking I may have to glue another piece of aluminium over the possibly worn track with silicon????

Other than that, i`m not sure what to do???

Eagerly awaiting advice.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
gday, mate is it a dometic or carefree awning?with the carefree awning as you roll it out you need to slide in and clip the inner arms to the header roll, then the main arms can be extended out. the inner arms shouldnt slide out.
any one else out there with added info for cr. cheers.

Reactions: Coastrunner

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hi Pace.
I`m not sure what brand of awning it is, but I don`t think I have to clip inner arms to the head roller so I`ll presume it`s the dometic. I`ll check when I`m back home and see if I can spot a brand name. In the mean time I still welcome any ohter advice.

Thanx

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hi Big guy.

My grub screws are still in place. The poles fall out of the track just above the grub screws.

I think the track is a tiny bit {probably only around 2mm} wider at the bottom.

As I said earlier, I`m thinking I may have to silicon another strip of aluminium over the track to reduce the width so that it doesn`t keep happening, other than start replacing the sliding poles. Either that or the little metal sliding thing inside is worn????

The previous owner tells me that this shouldn`t happen. {I bought the van 2 weeks ago}

I`ll take a picture when it stops pouring rain here.

Once again, thanks for the feedback.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hi People.

I just had a mate come over who has his own expanda, and set up my awning. Pace, my awning is the type where the side arms click into the two upright arms. My mate showed me how these simply click in to the roller and extend out. So after being shown how to set the awning up properly, I don`t have the hassle of one arm sliding down and falling out of the other at the base. So my big problem is now a little problem. The gap at the bottom of the arms IS slightly wider and just needs to be squeezed or tapped closer together.

Once again, thanks for the feedback people.

Always appreciated.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
It's most likely a Carefree ,I had one of the arms slide down and drop out. it twisted in the slide track and popped out, they are very flimsy as they only hang in the bracket on one side,
Has I posted in a previous thread a while back, The Quality of the Carefree is crap compared to the Dometic

Reactions: Coastrunner