Exterior Attaching sail track to body.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I want to attach a length of aluminium sail track to the right hand side of my Starcraft. I want it above the fridge vents so I can attach a small sun awning to shade the vents and van side in hot weather. The sides of my van are aluminium.

I don't know what is behind the cladding? Can I just rivet a length of track to the side? Or am I likely to damage the wall when a awning is attached? Or is their electrical wiring behind that I might hit with a drill?

I have seen lots of vans with sail track on the right hand side but until I know what is behind my cladding, and how strong it is I am reluctant to start drilling holes.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Pop rivets hold my awning end track on. At around 250 spacing. Bit of silicon seals them. I regulated the depth I drilled to suit my rivets so I go any deeper than necessary. It's stood up to plenty of gale force winds without issue.
1444296314823-796399492.jpg

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
I stuck mine on with a very high quality 3M double sided tape. Its been on 3 years now with no sign of letting go. It is on Fibreglass but in the sign industry we used it to mount signs on all sorts of substrate and had no problems so dont see why it wouldnt work on an alloy sided van.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Thanks for the advice. I will try the double side tape. I have a length left over from another job.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
If you want to go the double sided tape route, get some 3M body moulding tape.
This stuff rocks....it's used on automotive body moulds, obviously..

It's the best stuff I've found that will never fall off.

Reactions: Capt. Gadget