18' Series Anti flap kits - now with just awning or later with annex

formyfamily

Aug 8, 2015
NSW
Hi, wondering if the anti flap kit is worth getting now with just an awning or later on when we have money for our annex? annex would be a year or two away but sunshades would be shortly after we get the van.

what is the difference between anti flap kits? are there different types?

also, best brands for sunshades? sun buster?? don't need the best, just want them to work for wind and rain and be easy and quick :)

thanks for your help, feeling confused!

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
I'd suggest the type that you'll use with the annex - maybe worth asking whoever you plan to buy the annex from so you don't have to spend the money twice.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We just ordered another van and got them to add the Aussie Traveler kit with curved rafters.
Great to use shade end walls with sail track.
Although if your getting a annex later it was not much of a saving already having them, as the Annex place gets in bulk and does not pay close to the $300+ we pay retail.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The Aussie Traveller AFK fits between the van and awning roll and clamps onto the entire edge of the awning fabric. Its the only method for attaching annex walls anyway. Use with a couple of bowed rafters in the middle of the awning the AFK is very effective is minimising flapping. My advice would be to get that now, but as @davemc mentioned its not cheap (around $300) and might not save you much when you order an annex latter. Maybe you could contact an annex supplier now, lock into an annex now for supply in 12 months and take the AFK now ... or pay the $300 with the guarantee they'll take that off the annex price later.

The other small anti flap clamps sold in accessory stores will offer some resistance to flapping, but nothing like the AFK. Ive watched 3 awnings ripped off vans in strong wind, (ours nearly the 4th) and I personally wouldn't waste my time, money or asset with anything less than the AFK.

We bought the Coast to Coast sunscreens as a last minute 'grab' because I forget to do some research before xmas trip ... turned out to be really good and reasonably priced. Get the Coast to Coast ones from eBay, Jayco dealers, or RV Parts Express

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
What Crusty said!

I've got this AF kit and I'm getting it with my next van too. Not cheap, but good stuff rarely is.

Seen awnings ripped in seconds.

formyfamily

Aug 8, 2015
NSW
ok thanks for the tips!

has anyone got photos or opinions on australia wide annexes? this is who we thik we will get our annex from. we haven't researched them yet but think we do want something with the fly screens to stop the bugs as much as possible, the plastic to see out if rains and then the canvas for the wind and privacy too. don't know too much about them though to know what's good or what to look for!

formyfamily

Aug 8, 2015
NSW
crusty what annex do you have? have you got an aussie traveller annex to match your aussie traveller anti flap kit?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We ordered the annex with the van and our dealer uses Tebbs, which is also local. Most of the annex manfacturers will add or substract any and all of the various components such as clear screens etc. One neat idea we considered is having the main wall zip joined in the middle with an attachable internal middle wall, allowing half the annex to be set up, or various combos of walls depending on your mood .... or the freeloaders hanging around

My only requirement is zip corners and no velcro .... i hate velcro on my annexes. And 2 piece front and rear wall zip joined between the lower section and upper triangle section .... makes set up a little easier