14' Series Another Hello

Papa Whiskey

Sep 3, 2017
Maryborough, QLD
This thread was SUPPOSED to be about welcoming new members and spreading the good word about the forum. Instead we have descended into comments about which state is best, GST ripoffs, et, etc. surely this is not the way to encourage new members!

All the points may be valid, but as a group of individuals surely our focus should be about the joy we get from our caravanning experiences, offering of good advice and showing that we are a collective of enthusiasts regardless of State. I personally have lived in WA, Victoria, ACT and now QLD.... They all have advantages and disadvantages and the Government we get is the Government that WE vote in.:argue:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
On another matter what have people used to provide a bit more security when parked at home? While I don't live in a high crime area, I'd prefer to be safe than sorry. I've looked at the Saracen hitch lock but they don't make one for this hitch and the standard hitch locks don't fit. I think I'll end up with a "trailer cop" type when parked and padlock when on the tow ball, has anyone got any experience with that lock type? good/bad?

if at all possible

park it out the back yard...........(out of sight, out of harm..........)
if its on the verge or front yard - its a temptation

there are as many different answers as to "how long is a piece of string............ you know that hey......... :)

Papa Whiskey

Sep 3, 2017
Maryborough, QLD
Hello again,
Well that certainly got out of hand didn't it - again! I'm certainly not going to argue either point, I haven't looked into it enough to be suitably informed. Has anyone heard of the Hutt River Principality? (sorry couldn't help myself)

To diffuse the situation I thought I post a photo of my first mod, it is truly EPIC in proportion the likes of which this forum has probably never seen...

It's a rubber band!

I've got the Hyland hitch and have been looking for some way of providing a little bit of security when it is attached to the car (to keep it attached) so I have found a padlock that fits the hitch. I read somewhere on here that someone had the hitch articulate which jammed the lock in the mechanism resulting in a padlock projectile and possible damaged hitch. Hopefully this fancy rubber band will hold the padlock into the hitch where it can't get stuck.

On another matter what have people used to provide a bit more security when parked at home? While I don't live in a high crime area, I'd prefer to be safe than sorry. I've looked at the Saracen hitch lock but they don't make one for this hitch and the standard hitch locks don't fit. I think I'll end up with a "trailer cop" type when parked and padlock when on the tow ball, has anyone got any experience with that lock type? good/bad?

I guess I should probably start another "my van" thread to post more information and questions rather than putting it all here - I'll look into it...

Thanks,

Adrian
I use a wheel clamp when the van is at home... just a cheap one which can be purchased from BCF or Supercheap ( can’t remember where I got mine). Takes 10 seconds to fit and is a real “visual” deterrent. I also have a “ ball lock” which fits in any 50mm hitch for when I go away.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you use one of those tow ball locks throw away the padlock and buy a good quality one which has a short hasp which doesnt extend past the frame, then a bolt cutter can't get at it, should slow them down by a minute using a grinder....I use a tow ball lock, some mods done to it with safety chains locked around it, some large HT chain around a wheel and spring with the draw bar on a stand and no jockey, expect to slow them down to about 5 mins. And that's in my back yard , have another couple of items but they are on the QT.

Papa Whiskey

Sep 3, 2017
Maryborough, QLD
This is a photo of my towball lock, as you can see, the actual mechanism is built in... so no padlock required. Bought from Supercheap Auto for about $50.

Attachments

• AB052276-E51D-47F4-922E-6E617DBF961F.jpeg
    AB052276-E51D-47F4-922E-6E617DBF961F.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 366

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I think I'll end up with a "trailer cop" type when parked and padlock when on the tow ball, has anyone got any experience with that lock type? good/bad?
I use a Saracen and also feed the chains through the hitch handle to both bind up the chains and make using the hitch handle unable to be lifted. Ive always thought those Trailer Cops to be a good idea