Annexe - yes or no?

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
We have an 18-57-6 on order and we have an awning with annexe walls and verandah extension included in the deal. But now for financial reasons we will probably take the walls and verandah out because we can add them later.

But I'm wondering if we really need an annexe with this van... maybe the awning will be enough? We had a CT before and space was limited so we had to keep a lot of stuff in the annexe, but we shouldn't have that problem with the new van. I see so many secondhand Expandas up for sale which say they have an annexe that has hardly been used.

So, who has one, do you use it a lot and are they really worth the extra $$ if space isn't an issue?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey there....

We have not had an annexe yet but after two new vans in two years we want one for our next one.

Main reason is we spend a few weeks at a time in one spot and most times its been bad weather (QLD Floods etc) so being coupled up in the caravan drove us batty after a week and an extra room would have been great.

That said they are very $$$$$ so we plan on adding ours after we get the van later on down the track.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi,

We don't have one. We had one on our old soft floor camper and only used it i we were set up for a week. With our Hawk and now Expanda, we go the simple shade wall. Does the job for us and very cheap.

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
Yep thinking the shade wall might be the way to go for now and maybe do a few trips first and see how it goes. At least we have the option of adding the annexe later if we want to.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
I must admit looking back to when we had young children (a while ago now!) that we would have had an annex with a van. Back then we camped - one big family tent for mum, dad and youngest child and 2 pop up tents - one for each son. Whole lot covered with huge tarp. It was great - took us nearly a day to set up but worth it when staying 2 weeks in one spot (Byron Bay in early 90s for 3 years running).
Bill

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
They are definitely useful for young kids, I agree. And I do worry quite a bit about the kids just opening up the van door and running off (which they tend to do) so having the annexe there does offer a bit of security too, especially with hubby's heavy duty tool box blocking the doorway exit ;)

But for now, we have had to take it out of the deal for financial reasons. Jayco were very good about it and we can add it back in if the situation changes before the van is ready. There is also another camping show coming up in Melb in Oct so we will shop around for prices then too, with the plan to add one when we can afford to.

Thanks for all the replies :)